UKC

is there climbing in fountainbleau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jenniwat001 04 Sep 2011
Hi,

Ok so the title may result in you thinking I'm a little stupid, but bear with me please!

I'm looking to a climbing holiday in France having booked flights to Paris but can only find info on bouldering NOT climbing. Can any one recommend an area, with in reasonable driving distance of Charles de Gaul airport where there are some good climbs for a week. We climb S - HVS/ E1 in the UK. We are not up to multi-pitch yet, but by next year, who knows!

Thanks
 winhill 04 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:

CdG is north of paris, are you staying near CdG?

If not try the jingo wobbly burgundy guide.
 Doug 04 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001: can you change the flights ? if not you'll have to drive for a few hours if want something other than bouldering - Bourgogne is probably the best option, or give bouldering a try, the forest really is worth a visit
 Will Hunt 04 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:
> can only find info on bouldering NOT climbing.

I don't understand.
 mloskot 04 Sep 2011
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to jenniwat001)
> [...]
>
>
> I don't understand.

I guess he rates climbing as a sequence of bouldering problems (moves). Thus, climbing consists of bouldering, but not the other way around
 Slarti B 04 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:
Fontainbleau is great for rubbish climbers who are scared of heights

Otherwise maybe try Burgundy as others have suggested, not too far from Paris and on the motorway.
 Tdubs 05 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:
> Hi,
>
> Ok so the title may result in you thinking I'm a little stupid, but bear with me please!
>
The title did a bit but mostly it was the booking the flight before knowing anything about the area but just deciding you were going to have a climbing trip there.
 Tobias at Home 05 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001: i'm yet to hear of even the most fanatical anti-boulderer to have tried a weekend at font and not been converted.

give it a go...
OP jenniwat001 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Tdubs:

Flights to Paris were booked as we have a wedding to attend there, we were planning on doing another tour of Paris whilst we were there but that seems a little boring (as we have been there a few times)so thought if we could get some climbing in we would!
 Tall Clare 05 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:

Try the Freyr limestone at the bottom of Belgium.
OP jenniwat001 05 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:

Thanks guys this has helped. We are in Paris for wedding the day after we land so think we will stay in Paris for that (hotels not yet booked) then take a trip to Font for a few days then travel down to Burgundy if we fancy roping up. Sorted!
In reply to jenniwat001: you won't regret it! even just wandering around the forest is lovely.
 tlm 05 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:

Also - a lot of the bouldering in font is marked as circuits - you don't just do one bouldering problem, but you do a series of them, which takes you wandering through the forest. Some of the circuits involve not touching the ground, which might have jumps, downclimbs etc in them. They can be like mini adventures! I love the orange circuit at Elephant - you get to go through little mini canyons etc and some of the problems are quite high too!
 Carless 05 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:

The closest to Bleau are Saussois & le Parc - only about 1 hour

Something different would be the chalk crags near Rouen/Les Andelys

And to Tall Clare: Freyr is great, but approx a 4 hour drive from Bleau
 Tall Clare 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Carless:

Ah, sorry, had a vague idea it was more like two hours from my trundlings in the area. Just ignore me.
Wiley Coyote2 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Tobias at Home:
> (In reply to jenniwat001) i'm yet to hear of even the most fanatical anti-boulderer to have tried a weekend at font and not been converted.
>
How do you do

In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Tobias at Home)
> [...]
> How do you do

:-D there's always one...
 Becky E 05 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:
Lots of people who "don't do bouldering" enjoy Fontainbleau. I'm one of them.

Unlike bouldering in the UK, there are lots of easy circuits of problems that mere punters like me can enjoy.

If you don't have a bouldering pad (or can't take it on the plane) then there are places you can hire a pad.

Enjoy
 Jonny2vests 06 Sep 2011
In reply to jenniwat001:

I love the title of this thread.
hang 'em high 06 Sep 2011
Fontainbleau is amazing. People travel from USA and Australia to climb there because of the quality and quantity of routes.

Spend a couple of days there and you will be addicted!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...