UKC

Keswick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ava Adore 06 Sep 2011
Heading to lovely Keswick at the end of the week and fully expecting to have weather not conducive to climbing. If that is the case, any recommendations of good walks/scrambles nearby? Have done the stone circles - nearly missed them because I was expecting something the size of Stonehenge - and Skiddaw in the rain.

Or any other alternatives (other than the pencil museum and a shopping spree in Needlesports)?
 Steve John B 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore: Newlands in the rain! Robinson > Hindscarth > Dale Head > High Spy > Cat Bells.

It's also mildly entertaining sitting at the front of the Keswick ferry boat in the p*ssing rain (waterproofs optional).
 MHutch 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:

As well as the Newlands Round as mentioned above, there's also the Coledale Horseshoe, very nice, starting from Braithwaite, covering Barrow, Causey Pike, Sail, Grasmoor, Hopegill Head and Grizedale Pike.
 Andy Hardy 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:

Mountain biking at Whinlatter - you can hire the kit if you don't have a bike. It's a giggle and a good option in the rain.
 Skyfall 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:

Having been a regular visitor to the Lakes for around 25 years now, and having lived there for a year, I only visited the stone circle last week! I loved it actually. It was bigger than I was expecting and the 360 degree panaroma was great - you could entirely understand why they had built it there. Anyway...

Of course the best scramble in the area is to do Sharp Edge on Blencathra. With care it's fine in the wet and you can take the quick way off from the top (Halls Fell) if you're wet through by that point. It's a quick 2.5 hour jaunt +/- if you keep moving.

The classic wet weather climb in the area is of course Corvus in Borrowdale. It really does go in all weathers. I've done it whilst standing in puddles and sodden ropes. The traverse pitch is fab if you do it at the right time in your climbing career, and fun anyway. Long day though if the rain has really set in.

There is a wall which has relocated from near the pencil museum to quite a way out of town. Whilst the old one was neglected, it was (unfortunately) probably better than the new one which is rather small (at least in height) and designed I think more for groups doing general outdoors activities. But you could spend a morning or afternoon there if keen. Penrith wall is a lot better though if you can face a quick blast along the A66.
 butteredfrog 06 Sep 2011
In reply to JonC:The old Keswick wall will be reopening soon
 Skyfall 06 Sep 2011
In reply to butteredfrog:

great, I can look forward to more wet weekends away stuck in a climbing wall

ps: will the routes get changed more than one every decade?
 Steve John B 06 Sep 2011
In reply to JonC:
>
> Of course the best scramble in the area is to do Sharp Edge on Blencathra. With care it's fine in the wet and you can take the quick way off from the top (Halls Fell) if you're wet through by that point. It's a quick 2.5 hour jaunt +/- if you keep moving.

The White Horse at Scales has recently reopened too (new owners), doing some well nice local beers.

They're not serving hot food yet as far as I know, just sarnies/pies, although I think this will change in the near future.
OP Ava Adore 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:

UKC you are marvellous. Looks like some good suggestions here so far. Will print off thread tomorrow so please do keep them coming. Good suggestions of eateries in the town itself (so I don't have to worry about drinking and driving) also welcome.
 winhill 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore: bit fo a trek, have you been to kendal wall?
 Ramblin dave 06 Sep 2011
In reply to MHutch:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
>
> As well as the Newlands Round as mentioned above, there's also the Coledale Horseshoe, very nice, starting from Braithwaite, covering Barrow, Causey Pike, Sail, Grasmoor, Hopegill Head and Grizedale Pike.

You can also get the bus to Buttermere and walk back over Whiteless Pike and then Sail, Causey Pike etc.

Or just sit in the Dog and Gun and eat pies.
 spacey 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:

We had a wet week in Keswick in August, another thumbs up for whinlatter mountain biking, good trails on and around latrigg too, but not an organised centre with bike hire and so on but can hire bikes in keswick. We had a good morning over at Aira Force, near Ullswater so a wee drive but a good morning pottering about in water proofs.
OP Ava Adore 06 Sep 2011
In reply to winhill:

I have and really rated it. But am trying to avoid travelling distances to go to an indoor wall. If I REALLY get fed up and need a climb, will probably just mooch at Keswick for half a day. After all, the Lakes is so beautiful, even in the rain, that it seems a shame to be indoors.
 jonny taylor 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:
Another entertaining wet weather option is the Inside Route on Dove's Nest Crag, Coombe Ghyll (the "rat hole"), just across the valley from Corvus. A major squeeze but fun if you like that sort of thing, and guaranteed to be out of the rain! You'll need to track down a copy of the definitive Borrowdale guide though. Not the sort of route that is to everyone's taste, but a lot of fun if you have a sense of adventure and haven't eaten too many pies.
 winhill 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to winhill)

> After all, the Lakes is so beautiful, even in the rain, that it seems a shame to be indoors.

Ah, in that case head down to Patterdale for the ascent up to Angle Tarn Pikes and wild camp at the Tarn.

Thoroughly windswept, catches every drop of rain, high enough to be cold at night, poor visibilty and after a sleepless night getting wetter and wetter, put on wet clothes and descend through the clag in the morning.

The complete Lakes in the Rain experience.
 birdie num num 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:
There is a nice scramble on Knitting Haws, the little prominent summit on the flank of High Spy just above Hollows Farm in Grange. Climb up the steep scree up to juniper then turn the lower crags and traverse in above them from the right. Above is a series of short slabby outcrops upon which you can pick whatever line suits you going from easy to about grade 2/3. The summit of Knitting Haws has great views over Derwent Water and it almost feels like you could jump down onto the roof of Hollows Farm. You can continue up to High Spy, Maiden Moor and Catbells for a bit of a round. Alternatively, Dale Head.
 graeme jackson 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:
For a shorter walk, try grange fell from near the bus stop at grange bridge. the views from the top far exceed expectations for such a lowly summit. You could extend the walk by carrying on to rosthwaite, have a pint in the riverside bar of the scafell hotel then take in castle crag on your way back to grange.

There's a very good Thai restaurant in Keswick and the aforementioned riverside bar does excellent bar meals.
OP Ava Adore 06 Sep 2011
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> wild camp

Tw*t
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Or just sit in the Dog and Gun and eat pies.

And goulash; don't forget that.

If the weather's as disappointing on the main fells as it seems it may be this weekend, then it might be worth looking at the area north of Skiddaw (back o' Skiddaw) and seeing if anything takes your fancy as the weather can sometimes be a little brighter there; well, a little less wet, at least.

T.

In reply to Ava Adore:

> Or any other alternatives (other than the pencil museum and a shopping spree in Needlesports)?

Well, a trip round Booths can take up quite a while; good selection of breads, cooked meats still warm and delicious-smelling, nice cheeses, wide range of wines and beers...

T.

OP Ava Adore 11 Sep 2011
In reply to Ava Adore:

Well the weather was not exactly the greatest. Sun appeared late afternoon Thu, Fri and Sat but by that time, it was too late to dry the rock and then every night it peed it down again anew. Still, got in some lovely mooches - one in particular - the coastal walk near Ravenglass is an interesting option. If you're into ornithology, definitely take binoculars.

As for food, didn't get to sample the Dog and Gun goulash as the pub was rammed every night. But can recommend the pizzas - and the ambiance - at Square Orange.

Oh, and OH invested in a link cam. Flash git.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...