UKC

Axe leashes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 08 Sep 2011
Here another quite posibly stupid question:
For leashless climbing you can get things like the grivel's springer leash so you don't drop them but they're not cheep for what they are or so it seems.

Is there any reason why it can't be made from 5mm or 6mm cord with a couple of phantoms? The grivel one shows the krabs rating at under 1kN so surely this would be stronger?
 TobyA 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki: Yes, but non-elasticated cords are a total faff that always end up messed up in all your other gear. In variably when you first try them, you'll clip a screw over it and only realise this once you've started climbing again but can't move that axe up.
 a crap climber 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

Can't see why not, and neither can Andy K: http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/going_leashless_not_axeless

I saw a guide to making a springer leash a while ago but I can't remember where. Basically the idea was to use two lengths of tubular webbing and thread some bungee cord through them.
ice.solo 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

yeah, reconsider cord. but the sprung leashes everyone else has mentioned are the go.
make em yourself for a few bucks and totally worth including a spinner of some sort to minimize tangles.
 mlmatt 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

I made my leashes (or retainers) out of 4mm elastic and some camp nanos (smallest full strength 'biner on the market) and they've worked fine for the last couple of years.
 CurlyStevo 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
no the biners are rated at 7.5kn the new grivel spinner thing is rated at 2kn
OP fire_munki 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
Hmmm, not using them until Oct so might just wait buy one. Go for on with krabs or use my own Phantoms?
 CurlyStevo 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
or the BD spinner leashe
In reply to fire_munki:
That much different/better bar the fact it almost double the price?
In reply to fire_munki:
Sweet, now to find some bungie cord and webbing.
 Edvin m 08 Sep 2011
In reply to fire_munki: I've always used 5mm cord for multipitch stuff, works like a charm! To stop them from tangling I clip the cord behind the cheststrap for my backpack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...