UKC

Cogne Better than Ecrins for ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nadir khan 09 Sep 2011
Have benn to the Ecrins and norway a few years in a row and we have a good base there but wondering about exploring the Cogne region . there's going to be 6 of us all of IV/ V level . whats the accomodation like for self catering , any contacts ? And would we need a car to get to all the different venues or is it all in walking distance from the base . thinking of second week in Jan. Any beta welcome , thanks
 Hannes 09 Sep 2011
In reply to nk: residence nigritelles in lillaz is pretty awesome, you can access a weeks climbing easily from the hotel. 10 minutes walk to Cascade de Lillaz, WI3+ ***. There's a drying room and they have two, three and four bed flats. Much recommended
Ian Black 09 Sep 2011
In reply to nk: I've climbed in both La Grave and Cogne. Personal preferance is Cogne, much nicer scenery and big mountain feel to lots of the routes. La Grave always feels roadside, and I thought the routes felt a wee bit harder at Cogne. We stayed at la Barme, excellent accommodation and within easy reach of the climbs. I wouldn't like to be there without a car as it gives you more flexibility for the other valleys.
OP Nadir khan 09 Sep 2011
In reply to Hannes: cool , thanks for that , would we need cars to get around and get the most out of it ? as there are 6 of us , what we've done in the past is hire a car per pair so that we have as much flexability as poss, but if we dont have to do that in cogne it obvioulsy saves a bit of cash
OP Nadir khan 09 Sep 2011
In reply to Ian Black: thanks Ian for that , i guess we'll get 2 cars between the six of us and maybe go snowboarding at courmayeur as well
Ian Black 09 Sep 2011
In reply to nk:
> (In reply to Ian Black) thanks Ian for that , i guess we'll get 2 cars between the six of us and maybe go snowboarding at courmayeur as well

If you based yourself at La barme there are lots of routes to keep you occupied for a week, but if conditions aren't perfect a Car is useful to explore the other valleys. The food at la Barme is excellent as well. Good luck...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...