UKC

Climb On! Is it any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Is the Climb On! thing for your hands any good? Does it really "repair"? Why is it better than other moisturisers?
 gear boy 12 Sep 2011
In reply to windagopsychosis:

Works quite well, its a beeswax base as I understand it, so history appears to show it has benefits to healing, just marketed to climbers

kyebrooks 12 Sep 2011
In reply to windagopsychosis: I went indoors the other day and i saw it on the counter i bought some and i have to say i'm happy with it. Normally i have callouses all over my hands but they seem to have cleared up nicely. A few days later i did some wall grading for a new council wall in Torbay i used it again on my shredded hands and they are fine now. So to conclude in the two times I've used it, it has been good and better than my usual Nivea for men moisturizer. Hope this helps.

Kye
 Kemics 12 Sep 2011

I've personally had really good experiences with it. Most usefully was tearing a flapper, squeezing a bunch of Climb On into it, covering with tape and...well... Climbed On. Still got a full day at the crag.
In reply to Kemics:

So that begs the question, is the liquid or bar best?!
 UKB Shark 12 Sep 2011
> (In reply to Kemics)
>
> So that begs the question, is the liquid or bar best?!

The cream

tlm 12 Sep 2011

It smells gorgeous.
It does the job.
It lets you feel like you are using a 'climbing' product.
It is very expensive.

Sudocrem (zinc oxide cream, used for nappy rash) seems to do the same job for much less money - it has antiseptic qualities and contains:

•hypoallergenic lanolin, to help provide emollient properties
•zinc oxide is an astringent which reduces the loss of tissue fluid
•benzyl benzoate and benzyl cinnamate are amongst the ingredients of Peru Balsam, recognised for its healing properties
•benzyl alcohol is a weak local anaesthetic which acts to ease localised pain and irritation. It also acts as a disinfectant/antibacterial agent and is responsible for protection against common bacterial contaminants.
 Dean177 12 Sep 2011
My experience was that it was a bit expensive and didn't really bring any noticeable change compared to just moisturizing your hands.
In reply to windagopsychosis: I think it works really well on flappers, thin skin and calouss prevention. I am on my third or fourth bar.
 billybones 12 Sep 2011
In reply to windagopsychosis: An old instructor I used to know told me to get the bar and mix it with a bit of tea tree oil. Made it easier to use and lasted longer. Haven't used it for quite a few years now though.
 Eagle River 12 Sep 2011

The bar will last you for ages. I found the cream too oily which meant you covered everything in it after application.

I wouldn't say it reduced calluses, you'll need sandpaper for that (which is advisable to prevent flappers in the first place).

A less greasy alternative with more active ingredients;
http://www.climbersbalm.com/ingredients.php
 Yanis Nayu 13 Sep 2011
In reply to windagopsychosis: I like it, and so does my wife and the girls at work - they just love it when I give them a squirt of my special cream.
 valentinesbabe 13 Sep 2011
I like it. Don't know why it work but it does. Particularly on gritrash and seems to do fingerends so much better than traditional (even very expensive) moisturisers and hand creams. And it smells good too Personally I have the bar and love the funky little tin it comes in.
 halo 13 Sep 2011
> Is the Climb On! thing for your hands any good? Does it really "repair"? Why is it better than other moisturisers?

It's a lot better than your typical chemist's moisturiser, I use it myself and have used it during and after training.

It's friendly to indoor holds and prevents chafing and burning often found with chemical based moisturisers. It also works as a brilliant lip balm.

Fatboyteesside 13 Sep 2011
In reply to windagopsychosis: I found it made my skin fall off whae I was climbing a lot. Smelled nice, mind.
M0nkey 14 Sep 2011

i have tried the cream and the bar. the cream never seemed to absorb and just left me with greasy hands all night. The bar seemed to absorb, or at least be less slimy.

The only use i have made of it is when over-doing it in Font. My conclusion is that it does help your skin last longer for a Font trip.
benallan 14 Sep 2011
In reply to M0nkey: The Climb On lip balm is good too. Seems to work better than any other lip balm Ive used.
 chrisboywonder 14 Sep 2011
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.: seconded as to how good climbers balm is!
In reply to boywonder:

Thanks.

A good honest British product that offers a point of difference.

All the feed back has been really positive, with the main points being that it is far less greasy and absorbs a lot quicker and works really well.

I've shipped to Australia and the USA and have a pot packed that's going to Sweden.

davegs 15 Sep 2011

I suffer from dermatitis so the skin regularly split, especially on the fingers tips so to go climbing I had to tape them up.

Since using Climb On the dermatitis has clreaed up and no splits. Put it on before turning the light off every night.

On my second tin, I'd recommend it.
 hoodmonkey 15 Sep 2011

I try never to be without it!

After ripping bad flappers I cake a layer of the bar on and put a loose plaster over the top - it seems to rapidly improve the repair time.
 3leggeddog 15 Sep 2011

Climb on and similar are a climbers version of some overpriced loreal moisturiser I'm afraid. Check out their advertising "chemical free" wtf? "essential oils" the word I think you are looking for is optional.

By all means buy into the same carp used by the birdologists to sell anti wrinkle cream but you can get the same results using any old moisturiser/hand cream. Shaw's Paw Wax sorts out both the dogs paws and mine at a fraction of the price

Mr Lopez 15 Sep 2011
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

After reading the ingredients on the climb-on cream i always thought it'd be cheaper to just make it at home. After all, it seems to be beeswax with apricots and peanut butter, rapeseed (or was it olive) oil, and a dash of cheap perfume...

Good on you for you actually doing it.

P.S. In your site there's a 'pay for it button', but it doesn't say anywhere how much it is. What's the hit for a tub?
 Cypher 15 Sep 2011
In reply to Mr Lopez: Says on the paypal thingy, £12.95 per pot
 Mr Lopez 15 Sep 2011
In reply to Cypher:
> (In reply to Mr Lopez) Says on the paypal thingy,

It sent me to a page where i was asked to login, which i couldn't be arsed to do.

> £12.95 per pot

I'll stick to cheap moisturiser and some sandpaper...

jadias 15 Sep 2011

It's bloody brilliant stuff. I never leave home without a bar somewhere - seems great for not just climbing injuries, but everyday scrapes too. Really does make things heal quickly. I tend to pull a chunk off the bar with my nail and pack it over a wound. Still lasts a long time!

The lip balm is the absolute shite, too. A week of wind chapping and a day of CO! lip balm made them good as new.

Alas, it's tricky to get out here in Japan... I don't know what I'll do when I run out!
In reply to Mr Lopez:
PayPal also offers you the option to pay by credit/debit card without logging in.

£12.95, the ingredients are expensive and considering the quantity compared to other products it's actually quite expensive to make.
 Reach>Talent 15 Sep 2011
In reply to Mr Lopez:
I'll stick to cheap moisturiser and some sandpaper...

You have some very strange ideas about how to have a good time!

Mr Lopez 15 Sep 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to Mr Lopez)
> I'll stick to cheap moisturiser and some sandpaper...
>
> You have some very strange ideas about how to have a good time!

It's the 'real man' version of baby oil and vinyl...
 MikeLeeds 17 Sep 2011
On a weeks climbing holiday I used climb-on on one hand each evening and not the other. My conclusion: it has no effect.
 Dan Arkle 17 Sep 2011
Good - a randomised controlled trial, nothing can substitute a rigorous scientific approach.

I did the same for a weeks font trip - no difference in skin softness, wear, pain, cuts or infection.
 RD 17 Sep 2011
In reply to windagopsychosis: It seems to be good but it's expensive.
I've purchased Burts Bees Wax and this is virtually the same but cheaper.
The paste works well.
This is aimed at farmers and other outdoor workers so it its in well with climbing.
In reply to RD:

Climbers Balm has become popular with a couple of local dry stone wallers. As well as people with hard skin on their feet and as a general moisturiser.

There is a video link at the bottom of this page.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/listings/info.php?id=1431

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...