UKC

HSBC Secure key problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morgan Woods 12 Sep 2011
I'm having major issues with this newly arrived nasty piece of plastic. I'm using safari and every time i enter the code i get an error message saying "too many redirects". Anyone able to get around this?
 brianblock 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Morgan Woods: cant help much with your problem, apart from saying use a different browser.
just thought i would mention that if you go into the bank to use the machines inside, make sure you take your key
In reply to brianblock: Why? I've got my secure key for Internet access, which works fine in Google Chrome and Firefox, and got some cash out a couple of days ago with just my card and PIN.

Al
OP Morgan Woods 12 Sep 2011
In reply to brianblock:

cheers...will try it with IE at work tomorrow.
 mloskot 12 Sep 2011
In reply to brianblock:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods) cant help much with your problem, apart from saying use a different browser.
> just thought i would mention that

...if you go to US embassy, do not even think of taking the HSBC Secure Key with you
 brianblock 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: mine works fine with IE7 and Google Chrome too.
i didnt say you couldnt draw cash without it. i was talking about the other machines inside ;
 Dominion 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Presumably you're on a Mac (OS X) then?

You could install either Firefox or Opera, and try them, rather than use Internet Explorer on someone else's computer...
 ranger*goy 12 Sep 2011

My husband only had his a week before he lost it.
 Dave Rumney 12 Sep 2011
In reply to ranger*goy:

Are they being charged for a replacement out of interest? I couldn't find any literature about that anywhere.

jamestheyip 12 Sep 2011

I use Firefox on OSX. It works fine.
 Dave Ferguson 12 Sep 2011
vote with your feet and change banks, its another inconvenience forced upon us without any consultation whatsoever. Several of the banks are offering good switch deals too with simple passwords that you can choose yourself.

Don't let HSBC get away with this nonsense
James Jackson 12 Sep 2011
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

> Don't let HSBC get away with this nonsense

How DARE they secure your online banking in this way!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Dave Ferguson: Personally i rate secure online banking a lot more highly than the 10 seconds it takes to use the secure key.
 deepsoup 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Dave Ferguson:
On the subject of passwords: http://www.xkcd.com/936/
 mullermn 13 Sep 2011

When the letter arrived saying they were introducing this I sent them a complaint telling them why it was such a pain in the arse and got back some patronising response about how it is all for the customer's benefit and how it isn't really an inconvenience to have to cart around a security dongle everywhere you go.

After being an HSBC customer for 17 years every time I now hit something I can't do without hassle I'm just transferring that action to my Santander account.. if they want to scare all their customers away then that's their choice.

Santander's equivalent to this, incidentally, is that whenever you want to do something like set up a new payee etc. they instantly send you a one time code via text message. Simple, effective and only needs you to have things you already carry around with you anyway.
XXXX 13 Sep 2011
In reply to remus:

Secure banking is good, carrying a stupid passkey everywhere you go is not good.

I'm looking for a new bank.

In reply to Morgan Woods: Its a great idea, now if I loose my wallet I can't access money via an atm OR the internet...
 Dave Ferguson 13 Sep 2011
In reply to James Jackson:
> (In reply to Dave Ferguson)
>
> [...]
>
> How DARE they secure your online banking in this way!

I've nothing against secure banking, but the idea of carrying around another object to loose just so I can access my bank online IS nonsense. They can make banking secure without having to do this. If they had asked customers what they thought of it beforehand they would not be losing business like they are.

If you're happy cluttering up your pockets/keyring etc thats fine, but I'm voting with my feet. Santander have been really helpful.
 Wingnut 13 Sep 2011
Still not been sent one . . .

(On the other hand, I know my next-door-neighbour's had hers - she's partially-sighted and had to get me to help! And is now, unsurprisingly, going to go and have a gripe at the bank . . .)
OP Morgan Woods 13 Sep 2011

sheesh finally managed to sign on using IE. Honestly what a ballache....esp having to answere a new barrage of banal security questions....one of which i finally settle on (my father's middle name) only to realise it's 5 letters and not the required 6. You also need the secure key again to make transfers. For my bank in Australia, it has a full iPhone application and any codes you need to enter for transfers are just texted to you.
 Pauline 13 Sep 2011
I'd have to agree it is a complete pain in the butt... however, you only need it to access ONLINE banking... you dont need it if you use an atm etc like some posters are suggesting. Mine lives at home. I'm not likely to attempt to access online services anywhere else.

Sprog lost his within days and has only just found it so couldnt access his online banking til it reappeared. I'd be interested to discover what they do if you loose it and it doesnt reappear eventually.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...