UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Andy Kirkpatrick - Exclusive excerpt from Cold Wars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 16 Sep 2011
The book - Cold Wars by Andy Kirkpatrick, 4 kbIn this exclusive excerpt from his new book Cold Wars, it is winter 2002 and Andy is in Patagonia with Ian Parnell.

Having retreated from Fitz Roy, they are attempting to climb Mermoz, which hadn't previously been climbed in winter. The route they are attempting, Vol de Nuit, was put up by Andy Parkin – solo – in 1993, and was at the time unrepeated.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4039

Chris Ellyatt 16 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Looks brilliant! Can't wait for this.
 andybenham 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Chris Ellyatt: ditto. Thats going on the Christmas list
 ericinbristol 16 Sep 2011

Now he has a distinctive style, it's time for some (affectionate) satire by someone wittier than me such as

"Parners cackled manically as he donned his now-standard headgear of tin foil helmet. I was glad it was his lead as I couldn't face the next pitch which consisted of frozen overhanging gravel. I had got out of the lead by belaying off my eyelashes embedded in tears frozen to the grim, bare, unloving granite. As Parners, seemingly oblivious to the cold in his tweed romper suit, merrily climbed over me to get at the nightmare above, I could feel my eyelashes ripping out one by one. Soon we would be soloing and without my eyelashes I would be soloing with eyes full of gravel. I tried to feel brave but I felt it in my frozen bones that a hero is only someone too cowardly to run away." etc

Jamie Hageman 16 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Don't leave me dangling! I need more. You can't just publish a snippet, then leave me dangling. Like some juicy dangler
In reply to UKC Articles: Brilliant, Andy's writing style is funny and yet still describes the details perfectly so it is as if you are looking back on your own adventure from the comfort of a warm bed...

Jamie Hageman 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell:
> it is as if you are looking back on your own adventure from the comfort of a warm bed...

You should really get up you know, it's nearly one o'clock
 Roberttaylor 16 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Looks really, really good.
 masonwoods101 16 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: ahhh tell me the rest!
 Andy Mott 16 Sep 2011

Sounds brilliant. I've already pre-ordered because I couldn't wait (and pre-ordering makes the published date come quicker, obviously...)
 franksnb 17 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: is that all we get!
 kwoods 17 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: This is superb. I had a peak through Amazon's look inside feature and was splitting my sides on the preface or something. This is going on my bookshelf!
 kwoods 17 Sep 2011
In reply to kwoods: (But not before I read it first)
 poeticshambles 18 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: great descriptive writing; one for me.
 DrGav 18 Sep 2011
Looks great. And I hardly ever read books these days. Loved psychovertical.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...