UKC

elbow patch for softshell material!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jazzyjackson 16 Sep 2011
Managed to rip a 10 pence size hole in the elbow of an Arcteryx Epsilon hoody today in a bike fall onto the road ( should see my elbow )

Any recommendations for a good elbow patch? or repair idea.

I can't face throwing it away as its a great top. I know the repair may look a bit shit but I can still use it climbing!

sob

JJ
 ayuplass 16 Sep 2011
In reply to jazzyjackson:
someone recently recommended spinnaker tape to me - its self adhesive and you can get it in different colours. Ive seen it used on a primaloft jacket and it was barely noticable
OP jazzyjackson 16 Sep 2011
In reply to ayuplass:

will investigate .thx
 Dave80 16 Sep 2011
In reply to jazzyjackson: I've got a ducktape patch on mine. I was always going to send it away for repair but the bit of tape has been on there for a few years now and isn't showing any sign of coming off so can't see it changing now!
 bobpilgrem 16 Sep 2011
In reply to jazzyjackson: Had similar problem trying to patch a down jacket-ended up cutting patch from an old jacket that was not being used .
If you dont have suitable jacket maybe some kind person on the site can help you out. Hope this helps.
 LastBoyScout 16 Sep 2011

Stitch round the edges of the hole?

Otherwise, these should do the trick: http://www.barefootleather.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=287
 mlmatt 16 Sep 2011

Another vote for spinnaker tape, or if you cannot get hold of it then some tent repair patches that you get in cotswolds etc should do the job?
 stewieatb 17 Sep 2011

Tweed.

If you're trying to repair with some degree of invisibility & similar function, then having a patch of face fabric will make life easier. Since it's a soft shell, it most likely has some degree of stretch (which will be exercised by the elbow articulation...). A matching stretch stitch (e.g. zig-zag) would help when sewing.

Are there any areas of the face fabric that are otherwise hidden; pocket linings, for instance, that you could salvage to get a patch?

Failing that, just buy some pieces of nylon and sew patches to both elbows (for cosmetic reasons on the undamaged one...). I might be tempted to buy some small item such as a hat in a similar fabric.

Or you could ask Arc if they'll send you a piece of fabric to path it; you never know, they might be very nice to you... ME were very nice to me when I did something similar...
 Jerry67 19 Sep 2011
In reply to jazzyjackson: I've repaired a few things with Tenacious Tape. It's relatively transparent and sticks err, tenaciously.
Jerry
OP jazzyjackson 25 Sep 2011
In reply to captain paranoia:

nice one, thanks abody for your posts < sob >

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...