UKC

OI NEWS: Patagonia's Flagship London Store Opens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 16 Sep 2011
Patagonia to Open First UK Flagship Store in Covent Garden #1, 3 kbPatagonia's Flagship UK store opened its doors to the public for the first time yesterday. Situated in a historic building in Covent Garden, London, it's a 4,340 sq ft showcase for the full Patagonia range. From core technical alpine gear to ski and snowboard wear, and from their popular lifestyle range to the new footwear collection, it's all there to be drooled over. A calendar of events to encourage you to journey to London are planned. A photo gallery of the new store is in the article.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4040
tri-nitro-tuolumne 17 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

"the Covent Garden store was once where the popular Watney's Red Barrel beer was produced"

I'm guessing this press release was written by an American who has no appreciation of British beer
 Robert Durran 17 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why is UKC giving free advertising to Patagonia? Not that I can take a gear manufacturer with "ambassadors" seriously anyway. Or a "lifestyle range" for that matter.
 Dave Garnett 17 Sep 2011
In reply to Robert Durran:

They did used to make really nice fleeces (from recycled plastic too) but they've been in a grunge phase for quite a while now. If I want sludge coloured clothes I'll get them from the RSPB.
 beardy mike 18 Sep 2011
In reply to Robert Durran: Maybe you want to go on all the other reviews that UKC does and ask the same question? There's plenty of free advertising that going on. Besides which this is classified as outdoor industry news which to be fair it is. Whether you like them or not Patagonia have done a lot more than most for environmental causes, I suspect more than you or I (well I know me for definate) so why are you bothered how they classify their gear? It's decent kit, yeah maybe not quite what it once was but still above average, but they try their best and do ok... imo...
 Stuzz 18 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

I've always been very impressed with any patagonia gear i've used. Loos a lovely shop too!

And as for the lifestyle range, whats actually wrong with them diversifying a little?
 winhill 18 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Robert Cohen, Patagonia's VP of Global Retail commented: “We want our stores to be gifts to their communities. Because we're trying to create a living, breathing version of the brand, we view the building as much a part of the story as the products inside.”

That is truly insane.
 Ander 18 Sep 2011
In reply to winhill:
Insane? Mmm... I won't say if they achieve it or not, but that's pretty much what an architect, interior designer would like to tell you they can do with design. Wishful, maybe, butfar from insane.
 Michael Ryan 18 Sep 2011
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Why is UKC giving free advertising to Patagonia?

We aren't Robert.

Patagonia are a paying advertiser at UKC and UKH, and have been for the last two years.

Advertising at UKC/UKH includes a whole package of advertising delivery methods that include graphic adverts (leaderboards, towers, residents), Gear News, Premier Posts, OINews like this one, Newsletter adverts, video delivery, competitions etc.

Advertising is how we fund UKC/UKH: content, hosting, services, developments, staff costs (staff here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/about.html ).

All the best,

Mick
 Robert Durran 18 Sep 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> Patagonia are a paying advertiser at UKC and UKH, and have been for the last two years.
>
> Advertising at UKC/UKH includes a whole package of advertising delivery methods that include........Gear News.....

> Advertising is how we fund UKC/UKH

I am well aware that UKC is funded by advertising and have no problem with that at all. However, disguising a paid for advert as "Gear News" does seem a bit inappropriate.
Gear reviews seem fair game - presumably if a company is happy to have gear reviewed, it has to accept fair negative criticism.
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Robert Cohen, Patagonia's VP of Global Retail commented: “We want our stores to be gifts to their communities. Because we're trying to create a living, breathing version of the brand, we view the building as much a part of the story as the products inside.”
>
> That is truly insane.

Yes, that is utterly pretentious bollocks. Hopefully the knowledge that Patagonia is puting effort into such nonsense that might have been spent producing functional gear will have anegative impact on their brand image!
In reply to Stuzz:
> And as for the lifestyle range, whats actually wrong with them diversifying a little?

Nothing wrong with diversifying. Everything wrong with the term "lifestyle range".

stewieatb 18 Sep 2011
> (In reply to Stuzz)
> [...]
>
> Nothing wrong with diversifying. Everything wrong with the term "lifestyle range".

Everything wrong with charging £40 for a shirt I could buy for a tenner in Burton, too. Patagonia logos appear to be the most valuable per-weight commodity on the planet.
 Dave Garnett 18 Sep 2011
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Robert Cohen, Patagonia's VP of Global Retail commented: “We want our stores to be gifts to their communities. Because we're trying to create a living, breathing version of the brand, we view the building as much a part of the story as the products inside.”
>
> That is truly insane.

Pretty much standard marketing spray.
 gethin_allen 18 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
I really thing central London is the right place for such a shop. Not being sarcastic suggesting that people in London don't partake in outdoor activities, just thinking that their high prices won't seem so high relative to other things in London a I think there are more people there who will swallow the sh!t that they are spouting.
 Scarab 18 Sep 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Patagonia makes some of the best technical clothing around, and working in a gear shop Ive tried a lot of brands!

Yes they are a bit different from most other brands, nut besides price I really like their approach, their "green credentials" and that they are trying hard to do something in a different way.
 Scarab 18 Sep 2011
In reply to gethin_allen:

Wrong,

The reason they placed the shop were they have is because London Covent Garden is a hub of outdoor shops. There is more outdoor shops in Covent Garden than there is in Chamonix. All brands are here, Berghaus, Paramo, TNF, Kathmandu etc. Also all the bi chains have shops here, Snow&Rock, EB, Cotswolds, Millets etc and etc. People travel from London and Surroundings to buy their gear here, they can compare instantly and if a size is missing somewhere they just go next door.

This isnt Pataguccis first store in the UK.
In reply to Scarab:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
> Yes they are a bit different from most other brands, nut besides price I really like their approach, their "green credentials" and that they are trying hard to do something in a different way.

How are they different (and I mean in a substantive functional gear way)?

Do threy really have genuine "green credentials" or is it just a cynical marketing ploy like supermarkets charging 50p extra for fairtrade coffee and then only giving 1p of it to thr farmers (so I'm told).

Ross McGibbon 18 Sep 2011
> How are they different (and I mean in a substantive functional gear way)?
I have had a fleece and 2 jackets. Their kit is great. The winter climbing jacket fits so well, has sensible and minimal features, seems nearly indestructible. The other jacket - a Nano Puff, is a design classic. Unbelievably light, no unecessary features added for high street appeal. Just superbly functional.
Well designed stuff.
>
> Do threy really have genuine "green credentials"
Yes. It grew out of Chouinard with an eco-climber-surfer-Californian vibe. Lots of materials made out of recycled bottles etc.

I'm not a fan boy and I've never bought a piece of their kit at more than half price but I do appreciate good design.

Have
 gethin_allen 18 Sep 2011
In reply to Scarab:
I stand corrected. I try and stay out of the place TBH, I find myself going crazy because of the way that everyone seems so unfriendly to each other in day-to-day life; IMO Sheffield is far nicer and has better climbing.

I know that they have a store in Hathersage, I only went in there once and it just seemed like a highstreet designer clothes shop with prices to match.
 winhill 18 Sep 2011
In reply to gethin_allen: the hathersage shop is part of Outside, isn't it? no part of the empire.
 ben b 18 Sep 2011
In reply to Robert Durran: I suggest you should read "Let my People go Surfing" by Yvon Chouinard. Patagonia have probably got the best environmental understanding of any company making outdoor gear and are well aware of their role for good and evil as a corporation. How many other businesses recognise that they inherently contribute to the destruction of the thing they love?

Patagonia remain a good quality brand with a strong mountaineering / climbing / back country skiing ethos, good design, good eco-credentials and a premium price (although I'd argue that Arcteryx for instance charge more for a less environmentally responsible product).

Chouinard remains a hero for many. How many other climbing bums who used to eat roadkill for breakfast have done so well and remained so responsible?

b
 gethin_allen 18 Sep 2011
In reply to winhill:
From the adverts on UKC looking for staff for the new store I would guess that there is some link between outside and the new store. I can't remember all the details of the add.
In reply to ben b:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) I suggest you should read "Let my People go Surfing" by Yvon Chouinard. Patagonia have probably got the best environmental understanding of any company making outdoor gear and are well aware of their role for good and evil as a corporation. How many other businesses recognise that they inherently contribute to the destruction of the thing they love?

Fair enough then! (I am just naturally sceptical in view of some of the pretentious maketing stuff).
 Scarab 19 Sep 2011

As others mentioned their Green side is genuine, if it actually has any real effect I have no idea. But its not just a marketing ploy.

Patagonia stands behind some original pieces of work that everyone else now copies, Das Parka synthetic belay jacket, r1(or r2) fleece, and the softshell trousers (I think called guide) which I forgot what its called. They also do a sotsheel range that Andy Kirkpatrick raves about, something similar to buffalo but more climber friendly. They are more innovate than many other brands IMO and more climbing/technically practical than artcyteryx.
 Scarab 19 Sep 2011
In reply to gethin_allen:

I agree couldnt stand living there anymore and left!
 Jasonic 05 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Hard to find & hidden away- perhaps they need a sideways sign so visible from Long acre?
Something else to consider would be 10% BMC discount, on this lovely but pricey kit!

Slarti B 06 Oct 2011
In reply to Jasonic:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) Hard to find & hidden away- perhaps they need a sideways sign so visible from Long acre?

Popped in there today because I like Patagonia gear (though only ever bought on offer or in US or both), was in the area, and was interested in seeing a full range which is normally difficult to find.

Well, I say popped in, but took me ages to find the shop which is hidden down a narrow alley and is nowhere near the "critical mass" of outdoor stores by Cotswold et al.

Nice layout and had a chat with some really friendly staff but, IMHO they are going to get no passing trade and likely to get only people looking for specific patagonia kit to try on and then buy more cheaply elsewhere.

I think they should have spent the design money on investing in a better location, shame really.
 wilding 06 Oct 2011
In reply to Slarti B:

i have to admit to owning a patagucci wetsuit for surfing. Best wetsuit i have owned.
 stonemaster 06 Oct 2011
In reply to wilding: They do wetsuits?! Wow! Ta. Will check it out.
 Mike Highbury 06 Oct 2011
In reply to Slarti B: Londoners, eh, couldn't find their mum in a fog.

How do all those lost souls from the provinces find Pineapple if Langley Street is such an obscure location?
 beardy mike 06 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Re environmental credentials:

All their cotton in their "lifestyle" range is organic. Cotton is one of the most agressively sprayed crops in the world as the plant is delicate and easily ruined - take a read if you can be bothered: http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=2077

Also it lasts forever and a day - I used to work in a shop that sold their gear and one pair of trousers I had from their lifestyle range have lasted me 12 years so far - yeah, their now used for grovelling under cars and the like, but hey. So the extra IMO is worthwhile.

Fabrics are a big part of it - they use hemp (to avoid the pesticide use of cotton) have returned to pure synthetics for some items, as they can use recycled fibre rather than cotton, they avoid using chemicals to produce their wool thus avoiding contaminating water sources, and as someone else mentioned they use recycled poly bottles for fleeces.

In addition the support many environmental causes and charities http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=2329

About 15 years ago they were not advertising at all because Choinard wanted to limit their expansion - I think they then realised that if they did advertise then having put into place some of their measures they could raise more money and be better placed to have an impact...

Am i a groupy? Yep.
 nufkin 06 Oct 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to wilding) They do wetsuits?! Wow! Ta. Will check it out.

Not in the London shop they don't - I've already gone in and been disappointed (but spared a whimsical purchase of £400-odd, perhaps)
 TobyA 06 Oct 2011
In reply to mike kann:
> used to work in a shop that sold their gear and one pair of trousers I had from their lifestyle range have lasted me 12 years so far - yeah, their now used for grovelling under cars and the like, but hey. So the extra IMO is worthwhile.

I bought a snap-T synchilla fleece in 1991 (I was 18) and still wear it fairly regularly now, mainly for outdoor work/bike fixing etc. Because it is black, it just doesn't show dirt/grease/etc. and still looks pretty presentable despite last being washed probably sometime when Blair was PM. It has been literally around the world with me, and through most of the 90s when I was a skint student, it was my most worn top. I think it cost me 45 quid, and must be one of the best 45 quids I ever spent considering I've used it for more than half my life.
 TobyA 06 Oct 2011
In reply to nufkin:

> [wetsuits]
>
> Not in the London shop they don't -

I get the Patagonia emails and they mention from time to time their surf shop in Cardiff. I was quite disappointed to find out it was another Cardiff!
 Dave Garnett 06 Oct 2011
In reply to TobyA:

I've had 4, I think, since about 1984. Unfortuantely, they just don't seem to do them anymore. What happened to Synchilla?
 beardy mike 06 Oct 2011
In reply to TobyA: The other thing to mention about them is they invented quite a bit of stuff... they were the first to use Malden mills fleece, the first to make a polyprop base layer, the first to teach people about layering in the format we now know, the first to design a pill-less fleece so they didn't look tatty quickly, the and to then introduce polyester rather than polyprop to reduce the smell of base layers. Then they came out with the regulator fleeces which are now very widespread and were amongst the first to use variable knit weeves for baselayers and pants that allow better fit and no seams. And that's before you even take into consideration Black Diamond and their innovations, which effectively is where Patagonia came from...
 TobyA 06 Oct 2011
In reply to Dave Garnett: Here you go Dave: http://www.patagonia.com/eu/enGB/product/mens-synchilla-snap-t-fleece-pullo... I thought I had seen them still in a recent catalogue.

85 quid seems quit a lot but if it last 20 years it won't seem bad value!
 TobyA 06 Oct 2011

> Fair enough then! (I am just naturally sceptical in view of some of the pretentious maketing stuff).

Chouinard is no.2 in Outside's "Power List" - http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/celebrities/Yvon-Chouinard-P... interesting read putting into context what Patagonia has done as a company.
 wilding 07 Oct 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to nufkin)
>
> [...]
>
> I get the Patagonia emails and they mention from time to time their surf shop in Cardiff. I was quite disappointed to find out it was another Cardiff!

Yeah, sorry. I just noticed they dont seem to sell them in Europe.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=38284

ericinbristol 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Mike Kann:

'First to make polypropylene base layer'.

I bought one of these as a long sleeved top in 1987 so 24 years ago and it has had multi purpose use every year since, and lots of it. Really soft. Amazing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...