UKC

Warwick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi there guys, I'm heading of to University soon in Warwick, where are the best climbing spots near that region? I boulder mostly but I love to top-rope when I get the chance!

Also, are there any climbers at Warwick Uni here?
jc545staffy 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Matthew Aumonier: peak district roaches, and other peak district. symonds yatt, mid and north wales.
 earlsdonwhu 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Matthew Aumonier: Good climbing wall on campus but nearest proper rock is an hour and a half away. That's not counting Leicestershire esoterica and Markfield quarry.
 Yanis Nayu 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Matthew Aumonier: The bad news is that you're not close to decent climbing. The good news is that you're equidistant from lots of good climbing. Peak District, Wye Valley, Llangollen - and a little further away N. Wales and the Lakes.
 PGD 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Matthew Aumonier:
Not there any more but I used to be President of the club.

We had loads of trips to the Roaches, N Wales, Lake district, Peak District...

Not great for an evening but all an easy drive for the weekend.

Leicester Quarries are close but possibly not the best. We used to go bouldering on Kenilworth Castle.
 blurty 20 Sep 2011
In reply to PGD:

> Leicester Quarries are close but possibly not the best. We used to go bouldering on Kenilworth Castle.

Students eh, so whacky
 Dan Jam 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Matthew Aumonier: Hey, I'm a Warwick climber but, regretably, I'm not there this year as I,m on erasmus exchange. If you join the club at Warwick they usually do a subsidised trip to the peaks to top rope and boulder. Other than that there is a sandstone quarry nearby but I wouldn't recommend it. Happy Climbing.

PS: If you join the club at Warwick watch out for Andy King (the social sec)
In reply to Matthew Aumonier:

Granitethorpe, Markfield, Beacon Hill, The Brand, Bradgate Park...

All world class venues in their own right, but you might want to consider the Peak district every once in a while just for a change.
 tskelhon 09 Oct 2011
In reply to Daniel James:

Haha, yeah definately look out for andy king. He and I were out for a session on thursday and I ended up barfing out of his window on the third floor of Arthur Vick! (He came off worse the next day though ha!)

In seriousness. Trad in the peaks is only 2 hours away, but there's always cheedale for the hardcore sport. Cheddar gorge in the SW is 2 hours, good for easy sport. We go to both those places. First trip is 29th nov to the peaks where we take three minibuses and top rope all the classic lines on a super popular crag...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...