UKC

broken wires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlmatt 26 Sep 2011
A few of my nuts have started to get frayed cables on them. Now on the larger sizes one or 2 frayed wires and they get moved onto my winter rack of nuts (therefore it doesn't matter if they are beaten on etc) but what about with the smaller sizes.

Is there any information or testing results on smaller size wires with frayed cables floating around on the internet that anyone can point me in the direction of?

Thanks
 snoop6060 26 Sep 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

Just buy some more, they are like £7!
 GrahamD 26 Sep 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

The biggest issue I have with frayed wires isn't the reduction in strength so much as forever spiking my fingers with the wire ends. Bloody painful - best just write 'em off.
 StuMsg 27 Sep 2011
In reply to mlmatt: i had a frayed wire on one of my nuts, it was quite bad so i retired it but i was more worried it would damage slings etc at some point.

Stu
 veteye 27 Sep 2011
In reply to mlmatt:
On Sunday whilst climbing I noticed that one of the wires on my yellow Black Diamond Cam had broken.This is a bit more worrying since I have not used this cam much of late other than to air it on my harness.I certainly have not fallen on it, so it is a bit of a surprise.
In reply to mlmatt: I know someone, who had broken wires on his nuts, he says it's great, he doesn't worry about carrying extra protection anymore!!! :-P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...