UKC

What colour/strength theraband for shoulder exercised

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 27 Sep 2011
Reading the shoulder injuries article got me thinking that it woul be a good idea to do some exercises with a theraband or similar for preventative purposes (I don't have any shoulder pains at the moment but am conscious that I could develop problems with time). What colour / strength would you recommend? I guess I'm of average strength but possibly the key point is that I don't have any pain at the moment so no need to start of with very low resistance. At the same time, no point starting with something that will be too hard. Also, would you recommend any other makes of elastic bands? Thanks.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Misha:

You could try a medium colour first. Remember also that the longer the length the less resistance and that you can double it up to increase resistance. So it is not too critical. For a climber I'd suggest blue.

Nille 27 Sep 2011
I found that one each of the thinnest two are a good combination to getting started. You can use te individual, combined, doubled up and holding only one or both ends with the moving arm. This gives you a wide range of resistivities. Bare in mind, the rotator cuffs aren't articular big muscles.

Hope this helps.

N.
 Siobhan Miller 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Misha:
Probably red or blue for a healthy shoulder!
 Graham T 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Siobhan Miller: I use blue. I found the best thing to do was to buy some handles and a roll of the tape. Make sure you check it everytime you use it as when it breaks and you punch yourself in the chest it tends to smart a little
OP Misha 29 Sep 2011
In reply to Misha:
Thanks all
 tommyzero 30 Sep 2011
In reply to Misha: I have had shoulder problems for well over two years now and they became acute 15 months ago, stopping me climbing. I've done next to none of the rehab exercises I've been given (because I am stupid and self-pitying) and even after this long of not doing ANY exercise, they hurt almost as bad as the first time they kicked off. This absolutely sucks. I have become one unhappy individual.

At this point, I may never climb again.

My point. I had bad (but not crippling) shoulder issues. I was given an orange theraband. They aren't expensive. I would start slowly with an entry level band and upgrade.

Since seeing that article I am resolving to be active. But my misery is two fold. Not only can I not climb, but I can't exercise to stay in shape and keep myself sane. Prevention is better than cure and active rehab is better than waiting for Harry Potter to fix your shoulders for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...