UKC

Exclusively Closed Cell Foam Mat For Big Falls?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Franco Cookson 02 Oct 2011
Hi,

Is there a mat on the market that is made from exclusively closed cell foam- in other words, really unsquishy, but protects better for big falls. If not, what's the phattest closed and open cell combo out there? And can you buy closed cell foam anywhere?
 PGD 02 Oct 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:
I used to use old Gym mats. Really heavy and not soft but were ace for longer falls.
In reply to PGD: thanks. Good idea.
 PTatts 02 Oct 2011
These are meant to be awesome:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1701
A lot of money though.
 mlt 02 Oct 2011

www.efoam.co.uk if you want closed cell foam of varying thicknesses.
 another_mark 02 Oct 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: Bananafingers were doing deals on those Ronin things. Still very expensive though.
 Paul Kinnaird 02 Oct 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: The old DMM spot was closed cell only but felt brick hard tbh and fairly expensive
In reply to mlt:

Thanks! Which foam type am I after? Firm?
 critter 02 Oct 2011

Fish Big Wall gear sell a pad with higher density foam for bigger falls but uncertain about UK distribution.

O cool. I've found it. You can buy 2m x 1m x 5cm bits of closed cell foam for £100. Is that more foam than you get in a boulder mat?
 another_mark 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: doubt it. 5cm isnt very thick. 2 inches in old money.
In reply to another_mark:

Yeh, I thought that, but i had a look at some actual mats and they say they only have 2cm of closed cell. That sounds really thin, perhaps it just works on the principle that it is air-impermeable.
 Fraser 03 Oct 2011

> That sounds really thin, perhaps it just works on the principle that it is air-impermeable.

That's because they have another 6cm or so of open cell foam below that. Personally, I think you definitely want a bit of open cell in addition to the closed. Can't remember which pad has it, but one of them has two layers of closed, sandwiching a layer of open. That might be the sort of thing you're after.

Alternatively, just get two mats.

mlmatt 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Fraser:

It's the DMM highball that you're thinking of.
 nniff 03 Oct 2011

Do you not need the open cell for deceleration? If it's all too firm you're going to stop too fast. You'd be better off with a hard-ish upper layer to spread the load and lots of open cell underneath to slow you down. If your legs stop too fast the rest of you will just carry on.

The question is really how hard and thick does the upper layer need to be to spread the point loads of your feet so that you slow down instead of punching through to the ground? And how much open cell to you need to slow you at a rate that your bones and muscles can take?

There comes a point when landing on your feet isn't the right answer, but landing on your back like a stuntman or polevaulter presents challenges all of its own.

I'm sure someone who's handier at maths than me could work out how much oomph(technical term, that) needs to be absorbed for every extra bit of height you fall. I'm sure there's a square in there somewhere and the answer won't be pretty.
 Laurence 03 Oct 2011

If you're looking to buy a huge, firm pad then mine is still available:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=469149

They don't really get any bigger.
 misterb 03 Oct 2011
two mats makes sense or one mat with closed cell open cell,then closed cell open cell foam again.
5cm closed cell foam is probably too thick and way too heavy/inflexible.
3 layers of thinner closed cell foam (2-3cm) and 2 layers of open cell(7-10cm) would be cool and the best part of 25-30 cm thick.
well over the top but may save you breaking your legs
In reply to madbaza:

Thanks for all the advice everyone The basic situation is that we have two mats (one a highball), which I think could function well as a soft base if I get a load of closed cell on top.

Weight etc isn't an issue, as it would be for the very occasional single use, without too large-a walk in.

The points about closed cell being too firm are interesting, but the set up I was envisaging would mainly be used for falls that usually you'd be happy to survive, so the odd broken ankle or something wouldn't be that much of an issue. A bit of open cell might be a good idea though, just to take the edge off, but then the two boulder mats could do just that...
In reply to madbaza:

So you mean effectively have two highballs, with a piece of open cell in the middle? Genious idea

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...