UKC

VIDEO: Carrie Cooper: 39 Weeks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 06 Oct 2011
[Carrie Cooper: 39 Weeks]
A video from PrAna featuring Carrie Cooper talking about climbing while being pregnant. "I believe that life is about living gracefully through the transitions. I have climbed the world over for the last 10 years and developed a keen sense of my body and its strengths. As a healthy expectant mother I continued to listen to the needs of my body...."

Watch the video: http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=787
loopyone 06 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC Videos: I'm sure i'm about to get shouted down but this seems completely irresponsible.
 john arran 06 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> I'm sure i'm about to get shouted down but this seems completely irresponsible.

I know. How dare she top-rope and make routes more polished for 'real' climbers who want to climb them 'properly'? Completely irresponsible!

Michael Ryan 06 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> (In reply to UKC Videos) I'm sure i'm about to get shouted down but this seems completely irresponsible.

in sotto voce

Not really, many women go climbing when pregnant - from the Old Man of Hoy to single pitch sport and trad.

Always seek guidance from your GP though.

Mick
 Michael Ryan 06 Oct 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

Oh and possibly the Eiger North Face - Alison Hargreaves!
loopyone 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: One slip even on a top rope could be fatal for a foetus, is it really worth the risk?
 JKinsella 07 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112: The chance of a slip on toprope being fatal for the fetus is incredibly low. Probably close to zero! The fetus is not as delicate as you think!

There are plenty of day to day activities with a greater inherent risk if things go wrong. Walking down stairs is more risky. As long as pregnant women don't take part in sports like rugby or horse riding or downhill skiing (according to NHS advice) then they should be exercising! Top roping is pretty much perfect, and if you look at the full body harness she is wearing and the location of the knot, I really can't understand where you can see the danger.
 JKinsella 07 Oct 2011
In reply to JKinsella: The psychological and physical health benefits to both the mother and baby, totally outweigh the risk.
 Hawkscry 07 Oct 2011
In reply to JKinsella:
Took the words right out of my mouth. There would be greater risk from a seatbelt in a car. Or crossing a road. Or slipping in a puddle of ignorance
 Patrick Roman 07 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC Videos:

Now that is a woman with a glow about her! What a brilliant video, and the most perfect music to match. I wish this sort of thing would make it onto mainstream tv - BBC Breakfast perhaps - as a source of education and inspiration to expectant mothers. Well done Carrie!
loopyone 07 Oct 2011
In reply to JKinsella: The issue about this (in my mind) is that walking up and down stairs, driving in a car and other such activities are kind of necessary and the risks associated are therefore (probably) justified in most cases. Climbing when pregnant brings an element of risk that is completely unnecessary. Yes the chances of something happening are fairly low but they are undeniably there and the question you would have to ask is would you ever forgive yourself if the worst did happen.
chuffer 07 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112: Do you actually know anything about pregnancy, or indeed climbing?
psd 07 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> would you ever forgive yourself if the worst did happen.

Women! Know your place!
Carrie Cooper 08 Oct 2011
In reply to john arran:
HA! John, this is the best reply to a negative/uneducated response I've seen yet. I hope you are doing GREAT!
Carrie Cooper 08 Oct 2011
In reply to Patrick Roman:
Patrick, thank you so much for your Amazing words, your education and your understanding. All I have to say is, bring it on!
 Boogs 08 Oct 2011
In reply to Carrie Cooper:

Amazing ability and grace Carrie , truly inspiring well done !

80)

boogs
loopyone 08 Oct 2011
In reply to chuffer: With two young children, a climbing wife and 15 years of climbing I think the answer to all the above is yes.

I can only comment based on my own experience and my wife didn't climb at all whilst pregnant by her own choice just in case and following her doctors advice that it was better to be safe than sorry.
 TobyA 08 Oct 2011
In reply to Carrie Cooper: I'm outraged Carrie.

...by the obvious product placement of the chocolate bar you are eating. Hope you got a free box of them!

You will enjoy this article http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2080 written by Heike, one of UKC harder climbing regulars - pregnant or not! It's a really inspiring read.
 NorthernGrit 08 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> (In reply to chuffer) With two young children, a climbing wife and 15 years of climbing I think the answer to all the above is yes.
>
> I can only comment based on my own experience and my wife didn't climb at all whilst pregnant by her own choice just in case and following her doctors advice that it was better to be safe than sorry.

Well only comment on your own experience then instead of labelling others 'irresponsible'.

Our doctor advised my wife it was fine so I wouldn't accept your doctors advice as gospel. My wife gave up at about 4 months out of choice (lack of energy rather than fear of problems). Friends of mine have gone on until 6 or 7 months without any trouble.

Did you stop your wife driving for the duration of her pregnancy?

MHutch 08 Oct 2011
In reply to Carrie Cooper:

Presumably you've popped now? Hope everything is going well.

I enjoyed the video. I can understand how some people, even within the climbing community, might take a more protective stance towards climbing when pregnant, or raising a kid in general. I know some people might think I am over-protective to my kids when it comes to everyday risks. But if you can't recognise the rationale behind any other approach but your own, then you have a very limited view of the world and of humanity.

I can certainly see the likely benefits of continuing climbing in pregnancy - overall fitness and more particularly improved abdominal muscle tone, and I can't see anything in your harness set-up that would ring alarm bells.

My wife didn't climb later in pregnancy, but that was because she was carrying twins and could barely get out of a chair!
 ChrisJD 08 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> (In reply to chuffer) With two young children, a climbing wife and 15 years of climbing I think the answer to all the above is yes.
>
> I can only comment based on my own experience and my wife didn't climb at all whilst pregnant by her own choice just in case and following her doctors advice that it was better to be safe than sorry.

I couldn't disagree more with your guilt trap approach of 'just in case' and 'better safe than sorry'. (I top-trump you with two young children, a 'climbing wife' (whatever that means) and 28 years of climbing).

I encourage my boys to wear their scrapes and scuffs as badges of honour to show how hard they were trying and learning! They love showing me the daily tally to their knees and elbows. But then, maybe I'm just a bad dad. I'll let you know in 20 years.

And to Carrie.

Thank for such a lovely video. It brought a tear to my eye on a dreary British grey Saturday morning. Relish every moment (good and bad!), as they grow up so quickly!

loopyone 08 Oct 2011
In reply to ChrisJD: Well whatever each to there own. I can only speak of our experience that we preferred not to risk it and I therefore view it as irresponsible. If you want to be critical because of that then fire on. We were quite comfortable with our decisions about it.
 TobyA 08 Oct 2011
In reply to tatty112:
> and I therefore view it as irresponsible. If you want to be critical...

It seems you are the only one being critical here.
loopyone 08 Oct 2011
In reply to TobyA: Thinking that it's irresponsible of Prana to put out a video like this is not the same as criticising individuals like this has become

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...