UKC

UKH logbook height gained data - right or wrong?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 10 Oct 2011
Did a run today and it was impossible for me to gain height as I was running down a hillside and then along some flat. Logbook tells me however that I gained 149M in height. This is impossible.

So, why the wrong data and does that make all the height gain records open to question?
 Simon Caldwell 11 Oct 2011
In reply to ksjs:
Did you log it manually, or via a GPS?
In reply to ksjs: Can you post or email a link to the diary entry with the wrong height data?

Also, try drawing the same route with our new Route Cards system - it is using different altitude data, so it would be interesting to see how different the final height gain number is:
- http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/edit.php

Thanks

OP ksjs 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Toreador: Manually.
OP ksjs 11 Oct 2011
In reply to owennewcastle: Pretty cool!
OP ksjs 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: 2nd entry here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/e.php?d=20111010&u=32582

Just tried the route card option which is excessive for a casual run. Also, the height is still way out: it suggests I lost 25m while the contours show something around 250m.

The height profiler linked to above shows a decrease in altitude for the run of 935ft to 154ft, some 800ft, a bit more than 25m!
In reply to ksjs:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC) 2nd entry here:
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/e.php?d=20111010&u=32582

Well you can see from the height profile graph, it thinks there are some small uphill bits, even though the overall route is downhill. The bigger uphill bits may well be mistakes in the height data.

Remember that it is reporting cumulative height gain, not the difference between start altitude and finish altitude. After all, if you go up a mountain and back down again, you don't care that your height difference start to finish is 0m, you want to know how much uphill there was.

> Just tried the route card option which is excessive for a casual run. Also, the height is still way out: it suggests I lost 25m while the contours show something around 250m.
>
> The height profiler linked to above shows a decrease in altitude for the run of 935ft to 154ft, some 800ft, a bit more than 25m!

The Route Cards use different height data, which is why I suggested trying it - interesting to see what difference it makes. It doesn't report height loss, it reports height *gain*. So it is saying a cumulative height gain of 25m over your downhill route, which sounds far more likely than 149m!

I've run that route myself, so I know how steeply downhill it is, but it only takes a gentle 1m rise on a flattish section which you don't even notice, and they quickly add up.
In reply to ksjs: I tried that other profiling site, and I think it was saying the cumulative gain for your route was 110m, and the cumulative loss was 360m ? The graph looked very similar to the one produced by our diary code, so I'm assuming that it is using identical height data.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...