UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Maya Holding The Series - Episode 5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Oct 2011
Climbing with Maya - Episode 5, 5 kbUKClimbing.com are proud to present our exclusive summer series of 'Climbing with Maya'.

This six episode series follows Bristol based climber Maya Holding as she hits her local crag of Cheddar and makes a couple of trips down to Portland.

This isn't a high-flying, high-budget...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64500
 maya89 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News: Hi, before anyone says, I know my leg was behind the rope when I was clipping and it shouldn't have been. I don't think I noticed or could do much about it as that was the crux and I really concentrating on the route at the time.
Maya
 JayK 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Boom! 7b! Climbing harder than most UKC users. Great effort!
 grubes 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:
effort 6c - 7b in a summer awesome work!!
 Kemics 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Good effort!

Motivates me to get out training, you never look under pressure when climbing. I always seem to make a flap out of it and sweat and swear my way up.
 Robert Durran 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

That was a bit better. Despite the annoying editing, I almost found myself rooting for her.
 Franco Cookson 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

That was actually really good- She actually looked a bit gripped! My only suggestion would be to have more 'full body' shots and to have less of that annoying 'colour tinting', as it hurts my eyes. Thought it was a good video and a much better-looking route though. Maya could definitely climb way harder if she remembered where the crux holds were...
 andrea83 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Hey Maya, I have really enjoyed watching these videos and look forward to the last one. Well done!
 nathanlee 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Nice to see more of "the struggle"

That fall wasnt great either, looked bad for sport. Best so episode so far.

mattrm 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

That was a lot better than the other episodes, looks like she actually had to try hard. Might have been better as a series if the climbs hadn't been ones that she'd tried before so it the series would have shown all the initial attempts.
 Kemics 13 Oct 2011
In reply to Pylon King:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> vimeo still doesnt play on my Mac

The heater in my car doesn't work
 maya89 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News: Hi, thanks for all the positive comments! We're glad you've enjoyed this episode. Hope you'll like tomorrow's too
Maya
 The Pylon King 13 Oct 2011
In reply to maya89:

Is tomorrow's episode the F6b+ i shot of you at Ban Y Gor?
Kipper 13 Oct 2011
In reply to Robert Durran:
>
> .. I almost found myself rooting for her.

Have you left an extraneous word in that sentence?

Good effort - might have been easier if the bloke on the top-rope hadn't been in the way.
 maya89 13 Oct 2011
In reply to Pylon King: haha luckily not!
 Robert Durran 13 Oct 2011
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> [...]
>
> Have you left an extraneous word in that sentence?

"almost"? No.
 Puppythedog 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News: Well done Maya, I've enjoyed the vid's, thinking that I should follow your lead and try harder on sport, maybe whilst it's cold. Good luck heading into the 8's ?
 Quarryboy 13 Oct 2011
In reply to Pylon King:

You would definitely want some colour filters/enhancement for the day we went to Ban Y Gor
 JKinsella 13 Oct 2011
In reply to nathanlee: Yeah, the fall on that is a little sketchy because the start of the route is a bit of a slab, which you normally hit off the crux.
Tall person beta on the crux is undercut the giant fin thing and go straight to the pocket that Maya grabs after the crimp (I think)! Skips out all the crux Maya did, but also makes it soft 7a+ at most...
 morpcat 13 Oct 2011
In reply to maya89:

Glad you noticed! And very glad you didn't fall off then!

I for one have enjoyed these videos - sure people are complaining that they aren't massively dramatic or captivating... But that's not the point of them is it? Not every day of climbing has to be edge of your seat stuff.
 cha1n 13 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Firstly well done on the 7b, I really should try that one!

Secondly, I think all your clips were made off of a bent arm which is a serious waste of energy. If I can (e.g. i'm not too scared) I try to remember what someone told me 'clip at the hip'.

You're lucky you have video to analyse your climbing on, I'd love to have quality footage of me climbing!
 thermal_t 13 Oct 2011
Enjoyed that, looked like she was far closer to her limit than in the previous videos. The editing was better as well, you could see the moves being made.
 Ali 14 Oct 2011
In reply to cha1n:
>
>
> Secondly, I think all your clips were made off of a bent arm which is a serious waste of energy. If I can (e.g. i'm not too scared) I try to remember what someone told me 'clip at the hip'.
>

Which is all very well when you're climbing stuff you're comfortable on, but I have to say I'm with Maya on this - if I'm climbing at my limit I always clip above! But then again, I am a scaredy cat... It also depends on the route you're on - I usually go for the best hold, which sometimes means clipping with a bent arm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...