UKC

Johnny Dawes new autobiography: Full of Myself..out now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Grinshill 19 Oct 2011
Johnny Dawes new autobiography is allegedly on sale now. Does anyone know where I can buy this?
 brianblock 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill: Not had a message from him yet about my signed copy and no mention on facebook so maybe its not quite ready yet. But it is due about now.
 David Peters 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:
>Book Buying Punter (BBP) " ...You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to this book had you? I mean like actually telling anyone or anything.'

>JD's Marketing Man (JDMM) 'But the plans were on display...'

>(BBP) 'on display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.'

>(JDMM) 'That's the display department.'

>(BBP) 'With a torch.'

>(JDMM) 'Ah, well the lights had probably gone.'

>(BBP) 'So had the stairs.'

>(JDMM) 'But look you found the book didn't you?'

>(BBP) 'Yes, yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".'

Apologies to Douglas Adams
 Jonny2vests 19 Oct 2011
In reply to David Peters:

Like.
 Offwidth 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

Suggest you email here and ask: for some reason the link isn't in place (autobigraphy link still asks for info??) but I spoke to the man himself last weekend and he said it would be there by Kendal and that it's better for him if people buy direct from his site.
 Reach>Talent 19 Oct 2011
In reply to David Peters:
I quite like the idea of Mr Dawes aiming for an innacessible and confusing ad campaign instead of some sort of sensible "Stick posters in bookshops and announce the release date online" plan. Mis-information and rumours works well for the likes of Valve software, I don't see why Johny shouldn't try it:

I propose hiding a cryptic clue about where the release date may be obtained under a pebble near a classic Dawes route, then denying any claims of an actual release date. Extra fun could be had by shipping out books with a fake dust jacket suggesting that it was an anthology of abridged crime novels in Hungarian.
 brianblock 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Grinshill)
>
> Suggest you email here and ask: for some reason the link isn't in place (autobigraphy link still asks for info??) but I spoke to the man himself last weekend and he said it would be there by Kendal and that it's better for him if people buy direct from his site.

When i spoke to Johnny he said the .com site is nothing to do with him anymore. So anyone wanting to buy "direct from his site" should wait until the http://www.johnnydawes.co.uk/ site goes online
Grinshill 19 Oct 2011
In reply to brianblock: Thanks All.

Cover photo from Al William's Flickr page ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91196167@N00/6260202956/
 Mick Ward 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

God, he looks young!

Mick
Tony Ryan, BMC 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

We have some signed copies available to purchase from the BMC online shop - http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6421

Or phone the Membership Services Team on 0161 445 6111
 Michael Ryan 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Tony Ryan, BMC:

I want one NOW: Right NOW!
 Rich0777 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

.... as it happens, there is a certain Mr Dawes currently seated in a sealed vault at Cordee surrounded by umpteen copies of a previously unmentionable autobiography - he's now on his third 'bic'; copies should be in the shops for the weekend....
 Michael Ryan 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Bradwell tonight Richard with a copy! I want to take one to China.

I pay top dollar.
 Dave 88 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

Apparently there was a problem with the cover ink taking longer to dry so it was slightly delayed.

You should be able to get it from his website as soon as it's available, which will also put more money in his pocket than buying it elsewhere.

www.johnnydawes.com
 Ed Booth 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Tony Ryan, BMC: Are they already available or as preorders only? Cheers Ed
 Offwidth 19 Oct 2011
In reply to brianblock:

Apologies and thanks for the corrrection. I just assumed that that was his site.
 Niall Grimes 19 Oct 2011
In reply to boothy: The stock will arrive tomorrow in the BMC office and will be despatched same day, first class post. In fact they will travel towards your letterbox so fast the might even arrive yesterday.

Niall Grimes, official organ of the BMC shop
 Offwidth 19 Oct 2011
In reply to Niall Grimes:

Can you sue them for that title?
 Michael Ryan 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Thanks Richard.

Skimmed it and I feel a bit dizzy.
 wilding 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

Is someone from UKC going to review the book?
Clauso 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

Thank God it's finally arrived!... Maybe NOW I'll finally get an answer to my perennial question of "What has he done on grit?".
andyathome 20 Oct 2011
Fantastic, Niall! Mine will just have arrived last Monday - good work.
 Michael Ryan 20 Oct 2011
In reply to wilding:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC)
>
> Is someone from UKC going to review the book?

Why don't we all review it...read it.
pasbury 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

I am positively moist at the thought of reading this at last.

His essay in the indian face and an article he wrote - on Gogarth I think - in On the Edge issue 1 suggest it's going to be great.
Kipper 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Tony Ryan, BMC:
>
> We have some signed copies available to purchase from the BMC online shop - http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6421
>

No, you don't.
In reply to Kipper:

Why not go straight to the Horse's Mouth...

http://www.johnnydawes.com/buy-stuff/full-of-myself/
 Mark Kemball 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Tristan Johnson: See the comment above: (not mine)
"When i spoke to Johnny he said the .com site is nothing to do with him anymore. So anyone wanting to buy "direct from his site" should wait until the http://www.johnnydawes.co.uk/ site goes online "

In reply to Mark Kemball:

Yes - I know there were issues with his previous website. However, and I will let Johnny comment on this, I rather fancy that the .com domain is back under the control of Johnny.

If you go to the johnnydawes.com and johnnydawes.net sites - they appear the same now.

And Johnny is in charge of his book so...

In reply to Tristan Johnson:

see here also. JD has the .co.uk version...

http://www.johnnydawes.co.uk/buy-stuff/full-of-myself/
 mattrm 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Tristan Johnson:

Johnnydawes.co.uk is registered directly to Johnny
Johnnydawes.com is registered to Johnny/Hammer Designs who are his web developers
For some reason my usual whois site isn't reporting anything on the .net but it redirects to the .com.
The .co.uk and the .com point to the same IP and the .net points to another IP that's 'close'.

So yeah I reckon he has all his domains back.
 ahaynes 21 Oct 2011
In reply to Tony Ryan, BMC: ....and mine was delivered *really* quickly (next day) and signed as promised. Thanks!!!
 Michael Ryan 21 Oct 2011
In reply to ahaynes:

It's magical. Untainted. Pure johnny. A must read.

Well worth the wait.

Mick
In reply to mattrm:

Just to confirm really. I spoke to JD on Friday. He IS in charge of www.johnnydawes.com

So all roads lead to Rome, proverbially speaking.

As Mick suggests, the books a belter...

Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Tristan Johnson: Bought mine in Fishers earlier today - signed too . Time to disappear into a coffee shop for a few hours tomorrow I think
 royal 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:
Awesome! Ordered!!
 Paul Evans 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:
It's fantastic...and nothing like any other climbing autobiography you've ever read (of course).

Paul
Grinshill 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

I finished this over the weekend and cannot recommend it enough.

Genius Self Portrait.
 brianblock 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Paul Evans:
> It's fantastic...and nothing like any other climbing autobiography you've ever read (of course).
>
> Paul

I read it too over the weekend. I would say it is nothing like any Autobiography ive ever read fullstop

Its unique just like the man himself

George Fisher 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

Has anybody finished this and want to either sell it on or maybe rent it to me? I could offer Beyond the Mountain by Steve House as an exchange?

George
 brianblock 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Gfunk: I would love to swap my Full of myself for your Beyond the Mountain

But Johnny is telling me to tell you to "buy your own copy tight wad"
 Pinch'a'salt 24 Oct 2011
In reply to brianblock:
Anyone else followed the Buy Now link from JDs website (where it says free postage in UK) to the Cordee website where they try & charge you £2.50 for P&P ??

brianblock 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Pinch'a'salt: no, but i did buy mine from the BMC website where they charged me £24 inc postage
 Mike Nolan 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Pinch'a'salt: Yep it happened to me, but I couldn't be bothered messing around so I just paid the £2.50!
 RyanC 25 Oct 2011
In reply to brianblock:
> But Johnny is telling me to tell you to "buy your own copy tight wad"

Of course he is! The title of the book gives it away, surely? Myself and a mate met JD earlier this year and in the first 30 seconds of meeting him he was trying to sell us some sort of declumsification course. Bargain at £350!!! Cheers but we'll have to pass on that one Johnny...

RC
Removed User 25 Oct 2011
In reply to RyanC:
> (In reply to brianblock)
> [...]
>
> Of course he is! The title of the book gives it away, surely? Myself and a mate met JD earlier this year and in the first 30 seconds of meeting him he was trying to sell us some sort of declumsification course. Bargain at £350!!! Cheers but we'll have to pass on that one Johnny...
>
> RC

Sooooo. What would you expect to pay for a course from one of the UK's most inspirational climbers where, if you can get you head into it, you might actually learn something?
 RyanC 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Removed User: Dont get me wrong, If i'd had the money I would have almost definitely handed it over there and then and waited eagerly for some Dawes wisdom. I am however, a student so £350 spare in my pocket is pretty much unheard of.
At first I thought he was a bit brash and arrogant for instantly dropping the 'give me lots of money and I'll climb with you for a day' bombshell but to be fair, If there were a demand for it, I'd probably do the same thing. I quickly realised that although he's one of the country's most famous climbers, his main source of income would be coaching etc. Just a shame I didnt have £350!

RC
Removed User 25 Oct 2011
In reply to RyanC:

Fairy Nuff
 jockey-495 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:
To Pinch'a'salt and Mike Nolan - Johnny has asked Cordee to fulfil his website orders via a link from his site to Cordee's. Cordee holds the bulk stock of the book and it was felt that this was the best way to get books out straight away, rather than tie JD up at the Post Office. Cordee is waiving the £2.50 p&p charge, so orders via JD's website will be a straight £25.00 with zero p&p (the Cordee site defaults to a p&p charge and this is being manually overriden behind the scenes). AND - these orders will be supplied with signed copies. JD was at Cordee's office until late last evening adding his grateful signature and books are being shipped this morning.
 ericinbristol 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

The man;s a genius but 'Full of Myself' is a pretty unattractive title.
 Mike Nolan 25 Oct 2011
In reply to jockey-495: Excellent! Thank you
 Jamie Hageman 25 Oct 2011
In reply to ericinbristol:
>
> The man;s a genius but 'Full of Myself' is a pretty unattractive title.

I think it's a great title! On a par with ELO's 'A New World Record'
 Simon Caldwell 25 Oct 2011
In reply to jockey-495:
Where can I get an unsigned copy from? It looks like they're going to be rare collectors' items!
 Banned User 77 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill: He's doing talks/short films promoting the book this weekend. Friday in the heights (7:30/8ish), Saturday at the Caban, Pen Y pass.
 George Fisher 25 Oct 2011
In reply to brianblock:

Steve is telling me to think of the environmental savings of such a book swap scheme.
 Offwidth 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Gfunk: Its not as if climbing writers make any money as it is: buy the book!
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Offwidth: I'm not eating properly this week as I bought the book at the weekend and it's a great read. I saw him deliver a talk in Liverpool last year and he is definately unique (still can't beleive he thought he could 'run' down Indian face :-O). He is a legend in climbing and his vision in the 80's was remarkable - a good ten years ahead of the rest in what he thought was possible. I am not really materialistic but his signed copy of my 'The Black Cliff' is something I will covet
 George Fisher 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
Easy tiger, it was a joke.
 Coel Hellier 25 Oct 2011
In reply to ericinbristol:

> The man;s a genius but 'Full of Myself' is a pretty unattractive title.

I'm presuming it refers to the book, not the man, thus "this book is full of me", which it is (though perhaps both meanings are intended).
In reply to Coel Hellier:

I think it's a terrific title precisely because it has that double meaning. It's an admission that he knows he's big-headed (and he has good reason to be.)
 Mike Nolan 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill: Has anybody received their copy from Cordee yet?

Mike
 Tris 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: Ordered my copy direct from JD's site last Friday (21st)... not received it so far
 Dave 88 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Tris:

Same for me mate. When you think, no orders were probably processed Friday Saturday or Sunday, maybe posted Monday so I'd expect it tomorrow....hopefully!
 Neil Henson 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Tris: Same here.
 jockey-495 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Neil Henson: Rest assured they are on the way to you. All orders received through the Cordee site are dispatched the same day (Mon to Fri). Orders paid for via Paypal are now also being fulfilled by Cordee and will leave today.
 Mike Nolan 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill: Mine arrived about 10 minutes after i'd posted on here! I've read up to paragraph two and I'm pretty impressed so far
 Dave 88 27 Oct 2011
In reply to jockey-495:
> Orders paid for via Paypal are now also being fulfilled by Cordee and will leave today.

So mine is only being posted today? Fecking paypal!!

Neil Henson 27 Oct 2011
In reply to jockey-495: Thanks. I wasn't complaining as I don't think the wait has been particularly long or unreasonable. It is just helping build my anticipation!

Mark Collins 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Neil Henson: Likewise mate.
 Sl@te Head 27 Oct 2011
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Grinshill) He's doing talks/short films promoting the book this weekend. Friday in the heights (7:30/8ish), Saturday at the Caban, Pen Y pass.

Any more info on the do at the Caban / Heights?
 royal 28 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill:
Mine was waiting for me in work this morning loving all the pictures, can't wait to start reading it!
 Gaz22 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill: Recieved mine yesterday (from cordee) having been told it would be signed and it's not. Anyone else had this happen?
 Sl@te Head 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Gaz22:
> (In reply to Grinshill) Recieved mine yesterday (from cordee) having been told it would be signed and it's not. Anyone else had this happen?

Check 3 pages in under the old pair of EB's photo...got mine today as well was expecting it to be signed on the cover and then found it inside.
 Mark Collins 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Neil Henson: Mine arrived this morning. Looks great, wonder if I'll be able to let myself finish my current read before starting this one.
 Gaz22 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Sl@te Head: Yep, it's there thanks for letting me know
 Yanis Nayu 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Gaz22:
> (In reply to Grinshill) Recieved mine yesterday (from cordee) having been told it would be signed and it's not. Anyone else had this happen?

If you send it to me I'll sign it for you. Should be able to turn it around in a week. Free of charge.
 Banned User 77 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Submit to Gravity: Good talk last night, some brilliant videos.. another one tonight up at PyP Caban.. worth going to..
 Harry Ellis 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill: Have got halfway through and am loving it so far. Looking forward to hearing him in person on 17th November in Keswick. Tickets from needlesports website if anyones interested. Should be good value at £7.50!
 goldmember 29 Oct 2011
In reply to Grinshill: any good?
 JJL 29 Oct 2011
In reply to goldmember:

Just got mine.

Curate's egg.

Some brilliance. Some a bit rubbish. Some might be the former so well disguised as the latter that I don't get it. Some might be the latter so well disguised as the former that I do get it.

I went to the slate sections first and enjoyed it. The I.F. bit was disappointing - mostly because it recycles the Extreme Rock essay, which is (don't get me wrong) very good, but we've seen before and not much new is added. On reflection, perhaps that's because there's nothing more to say. Johnny hollowed out his soul for that route; maybe understanding that is just a step to contexting the rest of the story.

Anyway, chuck him the pony. He's worth it.
 mungo 29 Oct 2011
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to goldmember)
>
>
> Anyway, chuck him the pony. He's worth it.

Got mine from the man himself on Friday in Llanberis after a great mornings bouldering in the pass, he stopped his car to let us cross the road, at which point ( a little starsruck ) I pointed out to my kids that the chap in the car was a famous climber, he promptly jumped out asked if we were having a good day, fussed the dog and tried to flog me a book, no cash on me so was gutted.
However when passing petes eats later and wife had rustled up some cash was fortunate to bump into him again this time he obliged with an impromptu book signing/ selling , photos with kids and all in all making the last day of our holidays the best ever
Thanks again Johnny ( I'm not a stalker, honest )
 JJL 29 Oct 2011
In reply to mungo:

I've just noticed that he hasn't signed mine, the bastard. Mind you, judging from how many "signed" copies are being sold, the clean on eis probably a rarity!
 goldmember 29 Oct 2011
In reply to mungo: that sounds amazing a great bothy story
In reply to Grinshill:

Anyone know if this'll be out in ebook format?
 BrianT 01 Nov 2011
In reply to Removed User: Never mind him. I will be reading 'The Journey', which is about er...a journey.
 andybenham 02 Nov 2011
In reply to Grinshill: At the risk of repeating something someone else has said, DAve MacLeod has the book on his site for sale.
 the sheep 02 Nov 2011
In reply to BrianT:
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin:

Bloody hell, you two are back
 Chris the Tall 02 Nov 2011
In reply to BrianT:
Does that mean Johnny is effectively your warm up man ?
 Helnorris 02 Nov 2011
In reply to Grinshill: Really looking forward to reading this. Just need to get my hands it on first
jackpeyton 02 Nov 2011
In reply to Grinshill: Joe Browns shops
 David Hooper 02 Nov 2011
In reply to BrianT: hello bri - welcome back to the kingdom of the bland

where is judes post then,couldnt see anything higher up the thread
 the sheep 02 Nov 2011
In reply to David Hooper:

> where is judes post then,couldnt see anything higher up the thread

Its done a runner by the look of it, maybe she got warned off by the mods for making the place too interesting?
Removed User 02 Nov 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Hi again the sheep, long time no see I haven't been on here for 7 years and didn't realise you could no longer promote events in threads; for that reason my post was pulled. If you have a look at the Events page for Tuesday 8th November you'll see what I was talking about. http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/events.html

The Events page is a useful service, I've seen some other stuff there I wasn't aware of before and will let my son know about...
Removed User 02 Nov 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Does that mean Johnny is effectively your warm up man ?

On this particular night, many people will come for the first half of the evening, but the last half will be entertaining, let's put it that way.
Removed User 03 Nov 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Sheep, would you contact me through the question mark thingy by my name? I tried to message you the same way but the system is telling me your email address is non-functional.

(Gawd. Get me. The Queen of Rocktalk posting again. It's temporary, I promise.)
In reply to Removed User:

Gosh, is it really seven years, Jude?
Removed User 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Yeah it really is. I left in 2004 in order to wave my magic wand and turn some of the posters on here into characters for my novel.
 Niall Grimes 03 Nov 2011
I have interviewed him

vimeo.com/31499915
 tlm 03 Nov 2011
Are Johnny's flies undone in that interview?

Ah. I must get round to reading that. I will probably send you a copy of my latest book, sample copies of which are just about to be printed ... though it's not being published until the end of March.
Removed User 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Niall Grimes: Excellent Grimester (you see what I did there? Travelled back a decade in one word!) I will post that somewhere sociable in cyberspace.

Removed User 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Link to the Kindle version in my UKC profile Gordon. Only 87p.

My god, that's good value. I will do and will read over the next few days ...
Removed User 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Niall Grimes: Just watched it and it's luverly. You look very dashing in your Val Doonican outfit too.
Removed User 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: All the Kindle millionaires have priced at 99c so I figured I would too. The paperback is £11.99.

Wow! Hope you're already progressing well towards that goal )
Removed User 03 Nov 2011
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Well I did a gig in front of 5 million people the other day (in a manner of speaking) so fingers crossed. Anyway, atm I'm more excited about Johnny's book coming out, I've been waiting for this for a long time - that boy can write.
tri-nitro-tuolumne 04 Nov 2011
In reply to Grinshill:

Am I the only one who's tried to wipe the chalk dust off the back cover?
 gav 04 Nov 2011
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:
>
> Am I the only one who's tried to wipe the chalk dust off the back cover?

No....
 gav 04 Nov 2011
In reply to gav:
> (In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne)
> [...]
>
> No....

It also took me a while to realise it was a picture

Dave 88 04 Nov 2011
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:

Haha so glad I'm not the only one!

It's well worth going to one of the talks he's currently doing for the book. The talk itself is brilliant, but the real gold is when he goes off topic and starts ranting about all manner of things. Some of the videos of him climbing are amazing too; him "deep water soloing" a first ascent of a very hard, long line in a flooded quarry...except it's not DWS as there's a huge spike just below the surface (S5?! Thin end of the wedge expanding that grade system!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...