UKC

Rucksack or bumbag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Percy 25 Oct 2011
Hi

Have started doing some running in the hills recently and am having problems with my bag - I've been using a normal day sack and it's uncomfortable, moves around a lot and is unsuited to the job. Have been looking around and bumbags seem to be popular with fell runners, but do they not also move around a lot? Was recommended the OMM Last Drop, which sits nicely on the back and doesn't feel like it would move much, but I wonder about hydration - stick a bottle in it or a bladder? I'm thinking a bottle would allow for easier filling up from springs etc. And it's still a rucksack, so maybe it would also be uncomfortable on the back/shoulders.

Any thoughts/advice? One of the bumbags I was looking at was this one:

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rucksacks/Bumbags/Race-Elite-3-INO-RE...

I'd be carrying map, snacks, fluids, lightweight waterproof etc. I don't particularly intend on racing, just heading out for a few hours running in the hills.

Cheers
Etak 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy: oh a top topic for some reckoning - I use both here is vague opinion:

Back pack - have last drop and is good - i use this for longer runs (whole day out) and in the winter - when need a bit more kit / food - i use with a bladder - but you are right that it is a pain to fill at streams and generally means end up carrying to much weight in water. i find back pack more stable than bum bag

Bum bag - best for racing as makes me carry less and also big advantage is can swing it round to front and get stuff out on the move (i.e when going up hill) - no need to stop and remove it like a back pack to get hold of food- I like the simple one with no pading straps or anything that is easy to get as flat to your back as possible - inovate do a 3l one that is just big enough for some snacks a water proof map & compass

so the short answer is it depends..
happy runnning

kate
 digby 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy:

You need one of each, and you will find out which is best for a particular run. Sacks (like the OMM) carry more but can be very hot (or equally keep you warm). I'd say - make sure you can access water bottle, map and camera without taking it off. I don't use a bladder - the very word is offputting, and they are heavier than bottles. I find the OMM sack very comfortable to wear. Bum bags I find better for good weather. Stuffed full my OMM one bounces about and tends to rotate to the front so it's better with little in it. In a race you tend not to notice it bouncing around.
 Liam M 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy: I've never properly run with a rucsac, but have used the little omm bumbag loads and rarely have trouble with it moving about. If you tighten it just right (takes a little playing about at the start of runs) I find the padding helps it sit in your back and the bungees work quite well to limit bouncing if it's not full (e.g. just a water bottle).

Though as someone above said, it's worth trying both ways to see what you get on with, though for most runs I'm not sure I could fill a rucsac with the amount of stuff I take. I bit of careful packing and I can get it all in a bumbag, even spare layers for waiting for buses/trains post run in winter.
gizmo 25 Oct 2011
In reply to digby:
>
> I don't use a bladder - the very word is offputting, and they are heavier than bottles.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm curious as to how much extra weight a bladder would add for the same volume of water. Given that most of the weight is from the water itself, is there much of a weight saving with (presumably sports) bottles?

Percy 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy:

Thanks all - some interesting thoughts.

I do quite like the idea of a bumbag so pleased to hear they aren't as troublesome as I had thought. I can imagine having the choice of both would be useful though.

I noticed Inov8 make a bladder for their bumbags too - anyone used this? I just can't imagine how you route the tube to a place that's comfortable and useful. Or maybe it sits around your waist and you grab it when you need it?

Similarly waterbottles. I have used one of my Camelback Podiums so far, that I have for the bike, but they leak a little in my rucksack. Are leaking bottles par for the course, or are there others out there worth looking at? The podiums are good for the bike, although not without niggling faults, but maybe not suited to jiggling around in a rucksack.
 The New NickB 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy:

I have three options, all Inov8. Mistlite 210 waterproof, which stuffs in to a pocket and turns into a bum bag, also room for some other basics, 2 litre elite bum bag or elite 20 sack, depends onto the nature of the training or race. The 20 is pretty good for running, but not as good as either of the smaller options.
 The New NickB 26 Oct 2011
In reply to The New NickB:

I would add that I would never carry a drink if training or racing less than 10 miles.
ice.solo 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy:

i agree with both.

i use a golite belt thing for faster runs where i know theres water available and dont need extra stuff.
two small pockets for electrolytes and snacks, two bottle holders, a bit of bungy for windshell/t-shirt etc.
i carry one bottle rich in electrolytes and the other just plain water, and use the oddly shaped salomon ones as they sit better (kind of triangular cross-section).

pack comes out when i need to carry more water or stuff, or its really cold so i wear it under a jacket to stop thngs freezing.
i use a TNF racing thing (martin wing pro - dont bother looking for it, they stopped production and it was only in japan anyway). has really good expandable belt pockets for snacks, electrolytes and the body takes a 2.5L bladder and jacket/windpants.
bladder is a 3L platypus with the ziplok top - easier to fill, especially when a bit compressed inside the pack, means you can still get 2L in and it sits better (totally full bladders dont always sit well).
 Ridge 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy:

Thanks for this thread, I was running with a camelback day sack last night and pondering the exact same question!
 SonyaD 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy: I've got the inov8 bladder thing but tbh I don't like it that much and the bum bag that goes with it is far too big for wee runs out on the hill (maybe better for winter or longer trips out when you may need to carry more)

Like one of the posters said above, if it's just a short run up to 10 miles then I wouldn't bother with water. Unless I'm out on a totally scorchio day and then I find I need to drink or I get really dehydrated and end up with a stonking headache if I run. Even then though, that bladder can hold up to 2L of water and that's WAY too much, I'd only ever drink that much water on the hill if I was in the Alps or somethings, or out for a 12hr day on the Scottish hills in the height of summer (and only then if it were really sunny)

So when I first got the bladder I didn't even fully fill it so it's taking up unecassary space and weight (and I didn't even use it that much anyway.)

It's easy to drink from on the go, I just tuck the hose into the strap around my waist. Also, it's a total hassle to empty properly and though I've not actually cleaned mine yet, it looks problematic to clean also. Personally, if I were to buy again, then I'd stay clear of the bladder and just go for a small bottle instead.

But bumbag everytime, bags are horrible to run with.
 Roberttaylor 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy: For long runs in the hills i.e Cairngorms I take a 10l rucksack. For everything else now I use a 3l bumbag. It is loads comfier, makes me run faster and limits what I can take so I think more about it.
 Solaris 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy:
> I noticed Inov8 make a bladder for their bumbags too - anyone used this? I just can't imagine how you route the tube to a place that's comfortable and useful. Or maybe it sits around your waist and you grab it when you need it?

On long summer runs in dry terrain, I use a small bumbag with a 1L Platypus inside it and use a couple of Platypus spring clips, one to hold the tube to the back of my running vest, the other to hold it to the front. Works fine. The only problem is that it's a bit of pain to take off if you need to get your map out, but a small rucsack would be the same.

Another thing with bumbags (mine, anyway) is that sweat gets through them easily and it's essential to have your map in a plastic bag.
Moley 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Percy: I would go for a rucksack, if you are heading out into the hills for long slow runs. Especially given the time of year, you'll want to carry: spare tops, waterproofs, survival bag, hat, gloves, map, compass etc. etc. All of which may come on and off as the weather changes and you warm up/down. Summer, you can make do with a bumbag, but in winter months you do need to take into account your safety if it all goes tits-up alone on the hills.
I have bladders, but am a fan of bottles nowadays - for ease of filling from streams. Favorite for last few years is an empty fairy liquid bottle, come in different sizes, flat shape to fit nicely in sack mesh pockets, flip top - I kid you not, they are great for runners. Moley.
 Ridge 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Moley:
> (In reply to Percy) Favorite for last few years is an empty fairy liquid bottle, come in different sizes, flat shape to fit nicely in sack mesh pockets, flip top - I kid you not, they are great for runners.

One thing to consider is that fairy liquid bottles probably aren't made of food-grade plastic. Probably won't have much effect, but I'd watch out for nasties leaching out into your drinking water.

Mark Torrance 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Moley:
> Favorite for last few years is an empty fairy liquid bottle,

Or a full one, for that rabid-mountain-man effect.

I use:

Pete Bland bum-bag (cheap, works well).

Blue OMM 20 litre (rare occasions when this isn't big enough).

Orange KIMM (pre OMM) 30 litre thing for daily running commute. This is the most amazing bit of kit. 650g or something, big enough for small laptop and clothes, daily abuse (must have done 5000 miles or more) and still holding together.

I've had a bladder for a while but never have seen the need for it in the UK. [Brief pause for catheter-related humour]. I used it for long hot runs in the Pyrenees this summer, though, and it was ace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...