UKC

lundy for a day is it worth it??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bigrob 26 Oct 2011
As it says really.

Can see the island on a clear day from my house and criminally have never been!

Anyone ever been for a day and if so realistically how much climbing time can ya get??
(obviuosly i will make the effort for a longer trip as well!)

cheers rob
 jon 26 Oct 2011
In reply to bigrob:

A friend of mine did the Devil's Slide on a day trip, so yes, why not.
 Tom Last 26 Oct 2011
In reply to bigrob:

How many hours do you get between arrival and departure?

If you want to do devil's slide, it's right up the other end of the island, so you could be a pushed. That said, there is closer stuff.

Worthwhile giving it a couple of days I reckon, that way you can enjoy a night in the Marisco too!
 Iain Peters 27 Oct 2011
In reply to bigrob:
>
> Anyone ever been for a day and if so realistically how much climbing time can ya get??
> (obviuosly i will make the effort for a longer trip as well!)
>
Yes, several times back in the days when the old paddle steamer (The Balmoral) made regular round trips to Lundy. If I remember we could squeeze in about 4 hours. Did Satan's Slip, Double Diamond/Diamond Solitaire, and Formula One/Indy 500 on separate day trips. However it is important to know your way round the crags; even with the guide finding the routes for the first time can be quite tricky and then there's the tides....!

Al Evans 27 Oct 2011
In reply to bigrob: Completely depends on the tides and therefore time on the Island. Personally I wouldn't bother, wait until you can do a proper trip.
 Simon Pelly 27 Oct 2011
In reply to bigrob:

Would not recommend it as a day trip. Lots of money and time to get there for a rushed few hours of climbing. It'd be a shame to not be able to soak in the atmosphere which makes Lundy the special place it is.
peakyg 27 Oct 2011
In reply to bigrob: haven't done it in a day myself but particularly if you are unfamiliar with it I wouldn't recommend it - a bit of a hike to any routes. But there is a campsite and an excellent pub, so a quick 2-dayer would make a lot of sense.
 matty g 27 Oct 2011
In reply to bigrob: Climbed the devils slide on a day trip this summer as it was a climb i've wanted to do for ages so in that sense it was worth it. Would like to go back for a few days as there is so much to climb and the rock is excellent! Go for it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...