UKC

Safety for visitors in Tajikistan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JdotP 28 Oct 2011
Myself and a couple of friends are considering a trip to Tajikistan next year.

Does anyone have experience / knowledge of how safe it is for visitors?

The British Foreign Office says they believe there is a risk of kidnapping in Tajikistan http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/...

But, with the exception of the north of the country near the Kyrgyz border and the Kamarob gorge, it is difficult to find any concrete evidence of terrorist activity. Lots of rumours about drug smuggling though. Even for the Kamarob gorge and the north of the country, a couple of minutes googling throws up plenty of accounts written by visitors who enjoyed holidays there and felt very welcome.

The British Tourist Office does not advise against travelling to Tajikistan. Some other countries' foreign offices do advise against travelling to Tajikistan, but generally these countries also advise against travelling to all of Kyrgyzstan, which demonstrates that they are over-cautious (IMHO).
ice.solo 29 Oct 2011
In reply to JdotP:

have spent a fair amount of time there and have lots of good contacts within the country (including family and UN).

unless youre involved in moving stuff across borders or journalism in sensitive areas (parts of the pamir alay and the uzbek border) theres nothing general to worry about. maybe the occasional macho russian or drunk in dushanbe or some of the border towns, but not like at home.

my parents, both in their mid-60s regularly travel to tajikistan and spend half their time out in the towns away from dushanbe, so theres an indication if you need it.

be careful tho of things like open drains, dogs and dark streets in towns at night. its still pretty wild west, and a hard place to get out of quickly if you have an accident.
 Hannes 29 Oct 2011
In reply to JdotP: My friend who lives in dushanbe seems to regularly get chased by rabid dogs, fall down into open sewers and get punched in the face. All those things would probably happen to him in Britain anyway so go if you are interested
OP JdotP 30 Oct 2011
In reply to JdotP:

Thanks for the replies! IceSolo - I heard that Hamsafar Travel (formerly Great Game travel) are a good and reliable company for transport in Tajikistan. Have you heard of them? Are they reliable?

John.
ice.solo 30 Oct 2011
In reply to JdotP:

i knew of them under the great game name, but not since. they were good then.
i wonder, as the great game travel was the foreign interface part, if hamsafar travel was the local company.

this is a good source of info, and robert is very approachable if you have questions

http://www.pamirs.org/index.htm

you may note i get a brief mention in the visa section about trying to cross the qulma pass in 08
OP JdotP 31 Oct 2011
In reply to JdotP:

Yes, thanks!
 iceaxejuggler 31 Oct 2011
In reply to JdotP:

I went on a climbing trip last year. Drop me a message if you want some details.

Based on my experience, I would largely second ice solo's assessment of risks.
 beckycoles 04 Nov 2011
In reply to JdotP:

Hi spent 2 months in Tajikistan this summer. Felt very safe and had no problems at all. I think there is alot of drug smuggling etc but it is at a very high level and therefore you probably wouldn't notice anything as a tourist and certainly won't be bothered by it (like the mafia and going on holiday in the South of Italy - it's just not an issue). There were loads of cyclists cycling the Pamir Highway as well as overlanders on motorbikes and in jeep and a load of Mongol Ralley guys. But we didn't meet any other mountaineers

It have written a blog on our various adventures out there.

www.snowleopardsandcossacks.blogspot.com

If you want any more info then send me an email. Even know a good dentist in Dushanbe after having to have a root canal there - long story!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...