UKC

Any good backcountry/ski mountaineering in the NW Highlands?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheseKnivesMan 04 Nov 2011
Do you know of any good videos or films where even just a clip or two of this area is shown? I've never really seen skiing North of Nevis Range in the West Coast, and Google doesn't turn up anything.
Coire Bog 04 Nov 2011
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

There is tonnes but it doesn't appear on the net. I've skied on Cul Mor, Fionn Bheinn, Moruisg etc. All very good stuff if conditions allow.
craigloon 04 Nov 2011

Have also done Moruisg and a traverse of the central Fannaichs in the exceptional winter of 2010.
Tim Chappell 04 Nov 2011

The best ski-mountaineering I've ever done was in Glen Feshie, last winter: an ascent of Sgor Gaoith. It was so good I kept going back up again to avoid having to come down.
In reply to craigloon:

Sounds excellent, Whilst I made the thread about the NW Highlands, I always thought the Fannaichs would be an amazing amazing ski tour.
 IainMunro 04 Nov 2011
 James Edwards 04 Nov 2011
In reply to munri:
Further to the Ben Wyvis suggestion
A long day can be had going in from the East and going up into the corries on that side and going up to the summit plateaux via an easy graded ridge or ungraded way. The descent down the west flank is fantastic and really quite steep but I have seen it avalanche so care needed.
Then ski down to the road ( two cars are needed)
Lots to do up here if we get another snowy one.
James e
 Mark Bull 04 Nov 2011

> Sounds excellent, Whilst I made the thread about the NW Highlands, I always thought the Fannaichs would be an amazing amazing ski tour.

They would be grand, though some of the approaches are quite long and would require excellent cover to be enjoyable. A bike into Fannich Lodge might be an option if road conditions permit.

craigloon 04 Nov 2011
> (In reply to craigloon)
>
> Sounds excellent, Whilst I made the thread about the NW Highlands, I always thought the Fannaichs would be an amazing amazing ski tour.

Aye it was! I found the trip report I posted on here at the time:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=396162&v=1#x5704240

Really wanted to go back and do Beinn Dearg as well, but by the time I had a window it was all gone!
 Al Todd 05 Nov 2011

Some of the best and most reliable skiing is to be had on the hills to the south and North of Loch Mullardoch, west of Cannich. Either start from the road end at Glen Affric or head up to the road end at Mullardoch dam. Loads of short and long day options, the hills hold the snow better than any others in the NW Highlands with the possible exception of Ben Wyvis

A report on Winterhighland here - http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,937

In reply to craigloon:

Sounds like a great day! Beinn Dearg range would be brilliant too. What I'd really like to see is some gully skiers doing some descents on An Teallach or in Torridon.
 AG 24 Nov 2011
In reply to TheseKnivesMan: Might get some info from these
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,140999

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...