UKC

What is the most unusual thing you have removed from a route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepstar 06 Nov 2011
Today at Sandford Quarry,Somerset I abseiled down a route called "The Big Bang Burger Bar"to remove a mattress that had become lodged on the in-situ iron spikes after the local chavs had lobbed it over the top.I can remember the Police asking us to remove a tailors dummy from a hole in the Main Wall at Avon Gorge but I`m sure the UKC collective can top that.
OP deepstar 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: That certainly beats the mattress!
In reply to deepstar: On Kaisergebirge Wall in the Pass, there used to be a bike crank that somebody had hammered into a crack for protection or aid. No friends in those days !
 Conf#2 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

I read this as 'what is the most unusual thing you have removed from yourself on a route' And immediately thought back to 'that day'...
 Bulls Crack 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

Not unusual as such but £10 off a handhold on Hope circa 1981 - it paid for a piss-up!
Etak 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: Found but not removed a green plastic frog, pitch three of frog and red rocks
 gethin_allen 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:
There was a post on here a while back about someone removing a severed finger from a rout somewhere.
 shaggypops 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: Myself from sarcophagos, chudleigh. I got very wedged and very stuck
 efrance24234 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: a poweranger on a ledge in wilton 3
 AlH 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: Didn't remove the pottery squirrel from the top of Sgurr Alasdair....
Did remove the shrapnel from a handhold on Vostok (a VS on the Falklands on a battle site)....
Did remove the turd curled down in the shape of a love heart from a single pitch route in Central Scotland!
 jonnylowes 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: a rusted dog lead from scafell. dog was nowhere to be seen.
 jonny taylor 06 Nov 2011
 gribble 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

I've removed two sheep from one ledge some years ago.. I removed myself from a belay ledge at the top of a second pitch as it was easier than removing the snake that was sharing it with me.
 Mick Ward 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

When I were a lad (zzz...) Mickey Rooney (no, honestly!) and I found an artillery shell standing at the bottom of a route at Hares Castle, in the Mournes. Naturally we knocked it along the bottom of the crag - like you do. We thought we'd take it up to the top and throw it off but got a bit stuck so lobbed it off the half-way mark instead. Eventually we got bored and may actually have done some climbing.

Next man up, the next day, was one Dave Armstrong, who (unlike us) had been to 'the Eton of Ulster'. Dave took it down from the crag to the local police station. When he put it on the table, the place promptly evacuated. A couple of minutes later, Dave found himself facing some white-knuckled chaps with aforesaid white-knuckles on triggers. Naturally he explained the situation perfectly. After about the third time, they showed signs of actually believing him.

A couple of hours later, the shell was detonated by an army explosives team. When Dave told Mickey, his face went 'a whiter shade of pale'.

All good clean fun, the sort which makes you wonder how, in heaven's name, you survived.

Mick
 LastBoyScout 06 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

A pair of used knickers - can't remember the route.

No sign of the original owner.
 jon 06 Nov 2011
 johnnorman 06 Nov 2011
In reply to AlH:
> (In reply to deepstar) Didn't remove the pottery squirrel from the top of Sgurr Alasdair....
>

HaHa yes i remember seeing that squirrel up there, wonder what happened to it?
 Stone Muppet 07 Nov 2011
Ask any of my climbing partners and they'll probably say a bit of my pro. Some of them have even, over the years, managed to extract two pieces.
 ben b 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: There used to be an in situ gnome at the bottom of Pencoed Pillar - not sure if it's still there.

I found a very frozen mouse with a 4" sling, an 8" sling, and a crab in Sinister Gully (Cwm Glas) one winter: never worked out how they came to be frozen together, although each by itself would be unremarkable. Presumably it was tied off in situ but I wouldn't fancy falling on it!

b
 Offwidth 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

Done a microwave oven and a sheep (not on the same route I'd add)
 Rampikino 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

Not removed, because the locals (and guide book) asks you not to...

Tibia (a route at Whanganui Bay in New Zealand) has human remains in it.
In reply to ben b:

What's the breaking strain of a frozen mouse?
 SGD 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: A naked Babie Doll with a slightly green tint to her hair was waiting for me at the top of the Vicarage Cliff a few years back
Clauso 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

You may find this a bit too unusual to believe, but I once removed a toprope from Chalkstorm at the Roaches. Honest.
 krikoman 07 Nov 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to deepstar)
>
> A pair of used knickers - can't remember the route.
>
> No sign of the original owner.

How used? or is used for what, a better question?
 Offwidth 07 Nov 2011
In reply to krikoman:

I'd think finding unused knickers would be rather more odd.
 beardy mike 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: You used to be able to collect a veritable stash of pron fron the bottom of Unknown buttress at Avon. Have also found a fully operational plastic robot toy halfway up the second pitch of gronk... but it's all a bit poxey compared to live ordinence!
 Mick Ward 07 Nov 2011
 Dave Searle 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: My uncle removed a finger from a crack down at bosi.
That was pretty grim...
 krikoman 07 Nov 2011
In reply to Dave Searle:
> (In reply to deepstar) My uncle removed a finger from a crack down at bosi.
> That was pretty grim...

I've remove my finger from a crack a few times... that was grim too, though not always.
 Graham Hoey 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:
My own car keys from a horizontal break. Being as I was seconding a first ascent, and the first ascentionist denied putting them there, this has always remined a mystery!
 caradoc 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: A line of plastic soldiers, all left in place.
 Steeve 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: I once removed a huge spanner from a certain route...
yup, I was that man.
 LastBoyScout 07 Nov 2011
In reply to krikoman:
>
> I've remove my finger from a crack a few times... that was grim too, though not always.

Presumably not half as grim as inserting it in the first place?
 anonymouse 07 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:
> What is the most unusual thing you have removed from a route?

I once salvaged my dignity. Unusual in the sense that I hadn't previously considered myself as having one.
 jumpingjimminy 07 Nov 2011
 ben b 07 Nov 2011
In reply to Richard Alderton:
> What's the breaking strain of a frozen mouse?
Laden or unladen?

b
Starkey92 07 Nov 2011
In reply to Mick Ward: Bit off topic, but there's been a good few shells gone off there this summer! The Navy used to use blue lough for target practise!
 Mick Ward 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Starkey92:

I knew someone had used the Mournes for target practice but never knew who. Ours seemed like what I think a Navy shell looks like. Odd to think of shells lying in the heather for so long. When Mickey and I found ours', it must have been a good 40 years ago.

I guess you never really know what's under your feet...

Mick
 Timmd 08 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

Not a route, but the weirdest thing i've seen while climbing something was a large plasticine fly and a small figure of a man with his arms stretched out as if in appeal about something ontop of a pillar in The Foundry, can remember being 12 or 13 and trying to climb up the side of the pillar and catching glimpses of the two models before falling off again. It seemed surreal.
 escalator 08 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

Three months ago I went to remove my yellow beal joker from a crack on the third pitch of a climb (in spain), as I saw it falling into it and thought it might get jammed. As I went to grab it I just touched it and realised it was a snake. Okay, so I didn't actually remove something, but it was close.
 dustyrat 08 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:
How about a body! (although technically MRT team recovered him)
Unfortunately we discovered a walker who had fallen down the Aspirant on Great End. The Police had spent a considerable number of man hours looking for him in September, we found him early February!
A real tradegy, he'd obviously become disorientated on his decent, possibly from Scafell. We found him on a ledge system just before the easy ground exit from the climb.
 Goucho 08 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: Many years ago one balmy summers evening at Stanage, I found a walking boot (FEB mountain boot to be precise) jammed solid into the wide part of Christmas Crack, complete with woollen sock hanging out.

Mind you, on another occasion, we found a bearded man in molecord breeches, jammed solid inside Swimmers Chimney at Froggatt - took us about 2 hours to get him out, and only then after we had prized his head out of his helmet, which was left there if I remember correctly.
 Jackspratt 13 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:
In france half way up 6c that I was struggling on I may have unsympathetically removed a toad that was in a crack. it bounced and when my belayer let go of the rope to go poke it i began to wonder wether i too would bounce but unlike the toad i probably wouldnt have hopped away unharmed!
 deanstonmassif 14 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:

A nice crisp £20 note sitting on a tuft of heather on Bellows (Stac an Fharaidh on Cairngorm). We think that the unfortunate previous owner had crashed in a cessna near the summit the previous winter. I like my swag to be readily exchangeable for refreshment in the local hostelry.
 owlart 14 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: My friend's girlfriend, whom he had got cragfast by taking us off route scrambling up Bristly Ridge! I was bringing up the rear and found him on one side of a gully and her stuck on the opposite site. Had to go and extricate her whilst he got himself out of trouble! I still have a scar on my leg somewhere where she used me as an extra foothold!

Once all at the top, he proposed to her (and she said yes!).
 benrigby 14 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:
I once found a plastic toy Yoda in full working order (it even used "the force" to move a disc on its base) half way up a route in llangollen. provided endless hours of entertainment in the pub!
 WillRawlinson 14 Nov 2011
In reply to benrigby: On thursday, I removed a big old post from the top of a gully on Ben Nevis. It had the number 4 written on it....
 Martin Hore 14 Nov 2011
In reply to WillRawlinson:

On the second stance of West Wall Climb, shared with Beeston Eliminate, I once found a metal tag attached to a small piece of bone in a mass of pigeon feathers. Some bird of prey had obviously decided not to swallow the tag as well.

It crossed my mind to phone the number on the tag and tell the owner I'd found his pigeon, but I thought better of it.

JimR 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Martin Hore:
> (In reply to WillRawlinson)
>
> On the second stance of West Wall Climb, shared with Beeston Eliminate, I once found a metal tag attached to a small piece of bone in a mass of pigeon feathers. Some bird of prey had obviously decided not to swallow the tag as well.

tons of them in the Wye Valley!
In reply to Martin Hore:
>
> On the second stance of West Wall Climb, shared with Beeston Eliminate, I once found a metal tag attached to a small piece of bone in a mass of pigeon feathers. Some bird of prey had obviously decided not to swallow the tag as well.
>

That was still there this year.
 Gary Gibson 15 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: A war head out of Mychical Monster.
OP deepstar 15 Nov 2011
In reply to Martin Hore:
>
>
> It crossed my mind to phone the number on the tag and tell the owner I'd found his pigeon, but I thought better of it.
I regularly find pigeon rings in Sanford Quarry as there is a pair of Peregrin Falcons living there.I take them home and email the pigeon racing club(wich you can google)and they always send a grateful reply.
 andyb211 15 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: Skye July 1983 we found 2 packets of durex below the Cioch, one packet unopened and one with one missing, brave man! Could you not have waited and shagged her on top of the Cioch been much better than the sword fight scene in Highlander!!
 jon 15 Nov 2011
In reply to Gary Gibson:
> (In reply to deepstar) A war head out of Mychical Monster.

Yes Gary, I remember those. And in fact, didn't you have to thread one as part of the belay? I remember the floor of the Leap was littered with them.

Gary Gibson 15 Nov 2011
In reply to jon: I did belay on it. Interestingly we found an entire fishing net wrapped around the bottom of Eat Drink and Beat Gary on Bosherston. No fish though! I also found a golf ball half way up The Watchtower on Stanage during the first ascent!
 Toerag 16 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: We found a 10" WW1 french artillery shell used by the occupying Germans as a 'roll bomb' in WW2 on a sea-level scramble here a few years back. Was too heavy to take home as a souvenir unfortunately!
 SamChessell 19 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: i love cats, I love every kind of cat
 Will Hunt 19 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar:
Wasn't there a post on here a couple of days ago, since deleted, about a 12 inch dildo on top of Napes Needle?
 victorclimber 20 Nov 2011
In reply to deepstar: once removed a frenchie from a route in the Alps trying to push in ..he was quite unusual..
Anonymous 08 Dec 2011
i didnt remove but found, a tiny russian doll on a route at Fixin in Bourgogne
 Richy boy 08 Dec 2011
In reply to deepstar: Never removed it but me and my partner climbed past a bicycle on a route down at Ansteys cove in Torquay. Rather bizarre to say the least!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...