UKC

NEWS: Avalanche Transceiver Park a World First

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Nov 2011
Ian Sherrington coaches Shona Robison in the use of transceivers and probes, 4 kbThe world's first permanent year-round artificial avalanche transceiver training park was officially opened this morning at Glenmore Lodge

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64898
 jonnie3430 08 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Can anyone turn up and use this or do you have to be on a course?
 AlH 08 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430: External users can call up and book.
 jonnie3430 08 Nov 2011
In reply to AlH:

I am interested but not if it expensive, do you have an idea of prices, or will it be run along the lines of the Glencoe one, where people just look for stuff?

(From the west coast.)
 James Edwards 08 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: All good stuff, but 'snow sports' supports far more jobs than 600. I suspect that the lady is referring to just how many people are employed at the ski centres.

If any person going up a munro when there is snow on the ground is engaging in 'snow sports' (and they are far more likely to be in the avalanche stats than on piste skiers) then you could easily suggest a figure in the thousands.

The facility looks great. I usually get together with a few like minded folk at the start of each winter and practice on a beach at night or some such but i'd be interested in using it for personal use as a refresher if it is easily available and I'm passing.
James e
 Mark Bull 08 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:

From http://glenmorelodge.org.uk/avalanche-transceiver-training-park.asp

"The transceiver training park is available for anyone to use free of charge, we do ask that you phone us 24hrs in advance to check that no other groups are using the facility. You will need to provide your own avalanche transceivers for use in the park. If you have a group of people and would like to receive instruction on using avalanche transceivers we would be happy to tailor a course to your requirements."
 James Edwards 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Mark Bull:
That sounds great. Here is an itinery...
Route in the northern cairngorms on the Saturday, park up at the lodge have a couple of practices (hopefully in the dark and cold whilst tired to make it more realistic), then a few beers in the bar then back out for some more practice whilst drunk to help simulate the disorientated panic of a real search. Sounds like a plan if some one stays sober enough to remember to check that all hidden trancievers are switched on!
James e
In reply to James Edwards: Agreed, it's got to be many thousands surely - gear shop assistants, guides of various sorts, guidebook writers etc etc, not to mention the accommodation providers, pubs and whatever else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...