UKC

Ceillac, La Grave or Arolla mid-December conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 09 Nov 2011
Thinking of ice climbing in Ceillac, La Grave or Arolla 17 - 24 December. Does anyone have experience of past conditions at that time of year? Arolla is higher so would seem to be the safer bet? Thanks.
graham F 09 Nov 2011
In reply to Misha: Arolla is usually pretty reliable around then and if there's not enough for a week you can go round to Zinal. There's always the Cascade des Ignes which is at 2400m. Complete line of ice down it today.
 TimhNorthBASE 09 Nov 2011
In reply to Misha: went to ceillac and la grave from the 24th, everything we found was climbable and in good condition.
 James Thacker 09 Nov 2011
In reply to Misha: Might be worth checking http://www.ice-fall.com/ nearer the time for up to date conditions.

Arolla is high so is a good choice as Frosty says (probably worth checking his blog as he is the man on the ground!). If I have been out in the past for a cascade mini break I have based myself in Briancon which means you can drive to La Grave, Cerviers, Cellaic, Embrum, Les Orres, and all the major valleys close to Argentiere le besse.
OP Misha 10 Nov 2011
In reply to James Thacker:
A good idea - with skiing as a fall back.

Thanks all.
 george mc 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Misha:

Vallon Du Diable which is accessible from La Grave is higher and more reliable that time of year. Also you have the wee ice falls up at Le Alpe De Huez - again more likely to be in that early.

I'd base myself closer to the La Grave side of the mountains which means you can still access the southerly falls but getting to Diable and Le Alpe De Huez is still feasible.
graham F 22 Nov 2011
In reply to graham F: Cascade des Ignes was climbed yesterday and there's now ice on the Arolla tunnel routes too...
Removed User 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Misha:
Taken four days ago at Ceillac

http://www.ice-fall.com/Page_Cascade.aspx?IdCascade=68&NomCascade=Y gauche et droit&Type=Saison

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...