UKC

Climbing Technology - Stark Helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rory Armstrong 10 Nov 2011
Hello!
I have bought a Climbing Technology Stark helmet recently from a Store and want to know if it is worth keeping. I've searched online to see reviews and am not sure if it's a good helmet! I don't want to have wasted my time buying this helmet only for it to have some problem or other.
So what I am wondering is, does anyone on ukclimbing.com also own this seemingly unknown helmet and if so, is there any problems or is it fine?
Thanks!
Rory Armstrong
In reply to GunzManiac: does it have a CE or UIAA sticker anywhere on it (preferably both)? if so it'll be better than climbing without one!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 Nov 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Id be extremely surprised if it didn't, Climbing Technology are a pretty reputable brand and I doubt they'd risk that by trying to sell un-certified gear.
 bz 10 Nov 2011
Take a large potato, throw it in the air and head it on the way down. Repeat with the helmet on. If the latter hurts less than the former then you haven't wasted your time.
 UKC Forums 10 Nov 2011
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear - Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to GunzManiac:

There's nothing wrong with my helmet......... though I can't remember granting naming rights to CT.
 toad 10 Nov 2011
In reply to GunzManiac: This all sounds a bit spurious to me. "some problem or other"? Why would you expect it to have problems, and why "Store", and what would you do with it else? Sell it?

PS Climbing technology are totally reputable and not an entirely unknown brand

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2842

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=2585
In reply to GunzManiac:

Climbing Technology are a very reputable company who are big in Italy and Germany amongst other places. They have just started distributing their gear in the UK which is why you may not have heard of them.

Alan
 Skyfall 10 Nov 2011
In reply to GunzManiac:

just googled it and it is does have CE, UIAA and EN registrations and is sold by many reputable dealers. I wouldn't worry about whether it works unless you've seen some specific recall issues.

fwiw, I bought some of their crampons last year as a 2nd pair of simple mountaineering crampons - very good, well built and very reasonably priced.
 toad 10 Nov 2011
In reply to JonC: I've got a CT walking axe, though I have only used it once so far
ice.solo 10 Nov 2011
In reply to GunzManiac:

im pretty sure joe brown wouldnt stock them if they were shite.
 Jamie Hageman 10 Nov 2011
In reply to bz:
> Take a large potato, throw it in the air and head it on the way down. Repeat with the helmet on. If the latter hurts less than the former then you haven't wasted your time.

Are falling potatoes a hazzard where you climb?

I was just wondering, cause i've seen zero reviews for it. I bought it at Tisos with 20% off and was kind of an impulse buy so wanted to know it was ok. If it wasn't then I was going to return it to the shop.
However I'm happy with the helmet now.
Thanks guys!
 toad 10 Nov 2011
In reply to GunzManiac: You might have found it difficult to return PPE unless it was faulty, as I don't think they could resell it (unless anyone knows different!)
2xw 11 Nov 2011
In reply to toad:
No that's right, they can't sell PPE thats been returned.

And CT usually do great gear IMO, got one of the click up devices from Joe Browns and it's great, they are a fairly reputable company.
 StuDoig 11 Nov 2011
In reply to toad:
I don't know about re-selling but you can certainly return climbing helmets, have done so earlier this year with no problem. I think climbing gear manufacturers / shops (esp online ones) would struggle otherwise as very little would be returnable.

Cameron94 12 Nov 2011
In reply to GunzManiac: Ct is great imo, crampons look a bit odd with the colors but work well so my friend says, alpine tour axes are good though I've played with one in the snow and liked it more than the dmm one.
I've got a recently bought a stark because it was comforable and passed all its safety ratings so I don't see why you would return it...
Cameron
 TobyA 12 Nov 2011
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to GunzManiac) Ct is great imo, crampons look a bit odd with the colors but work well s

I actually rather like the colour! http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3300
 Cameron94 13 Nov 2011
In reply to GunzManiac: I like the yellow and black of grivel ones but not the shiny steel of bd. I think ct get to much stick because its cheaper than comparable models... Not deserved most of the time! Jmo

Cameron

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...