UKC

Foglights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
XXXX 14 Nov 2011
I was driving back from the Peaks late yesterday along the M1 and despite the fact that it was foggy, only about 1 in 10 people had their foglights on.

Looking ahead of me at one point, not a single person had their rear foglights on and that was in maybe half a mile of road. And don't get me started on the front ones. What do people think these lights are for, decoration?

TURN THEM ON!

iceaxejuggler 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Eric the Red:

If you could see half a mile down the road, then they didn't need their fog lights on.
 Reach>Talent 14 Nov 2011

As opposed to the South of England where people seem to think they are a fashionable alternative to having working headlights.

Where I live the Dartmoor Ponies are just so damn inconsiderate not switching on their fog lights and then just stand in the middle of the road.
 Denzil 14 Nov 2011
In reply to iceaxejuggler: Officially it's foggy once the visibility drops to less than 1km - so at half a mile visibility it may still be "foggy". In my view rear foglights are extensively overused - the only real value of them is to give the maniacs who are driving too fast for the conditions a bit more time to avoid piling into the back of you. The rest of the time when there's someone following you, the lights merely distract their view from your stoplights making it more likely they'll run into the back of you. As soon as someone is following behind me, I put my rear foglight off.
Wonko The Sane 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: I can understand people being a little careful about when to have them on. I left mine on accidentally once, got pulled over by a copper and handed a £30 spot fine!
 woolsack 14 Nov 2011
> I was driving back from the Peaks late yesterday along the M1 and despite the fact that it was foggy, only about 1 in 10 people had their foglights on.
>

Probably because the bulbs have blown from being left on all the time when it isn't foggy
 LastBoyScout 14 Nov 2011

> TURN THEM ON!

And when it's not foggy any more, TURN THEM OFF AGAIN!
Lisa_K 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> (In reply to Eric the Red) I can understand people being a little careful about when to have them on. I left mine on accidentally once, got pulled over by a copper and handed a £30 spot fine!

Wish they'd bloody well do that round here. Countless muppets seem to think that 'well it was a bit misty 6 weeks ago' is a good enough reason to have their front fogs on but they never seem to have the rear one on. Hmmmm, bearing in mind the rear is a legal requirement but the front ones aren't I'm guessing that they do have them but as they're not trendy...
 Sir Chasm 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: 3/10. You've hooked a few but the use of "Peaks" makes it too obvious.
 MarkH 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Denzil:
> (In reply to iceaxejuggler) Officially it's foggy once the visibility drops to less than 1km - so at half a mile visibility it may still be "foggy".

It is not foggy once visibility drops to less than 1km. The highway code states:

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Fog
Rule 235
When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required (see Rule 226)
•keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security
•be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster
•use your windscreen wipers and demisters
•beware of other drivers not using headlights
•not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you
•check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down
•stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles

Rule 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
In reply to Eric the Red: and more to the point, why don't people even turn their headlights on! there seems to be a mass of people who feel that unless its night time, they can't have their lights on! I've only just spotted cars on a couple of occasions where they've been driving in super-thick fog with no lights on...and curiously, it seems to be mainly people in silver cars, the colour that blends in best in the fog! nobs!
In reply to Eric the Red: So, you're trying to tell me that you could quite clearly see a number of cars in the road ahead of you that didn't have their fog lights on?

As in YOU COULD SEE THEM?

So....WHY should they have them on? As per the highway code info stated above, you should only put fog lights on if the visibility has been reduced so badly that you would have a chance of running into the back of someone because you CANNOT SEE THEM without fog lights.

Otherwise you are just distracting people with your overly bright lights. GET THEM OFF!!
 SonyaD 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Fultonius: WELL SAID THAT MAN!

Fog lights are a bug bear of mine, particularly front ones and the idiots that drive about with them on when there's not even fog or only the slightest amount. They totally blind me And when you get them on large 4 wheel drive vehicle drivers that don't have any sense of safe driving distance and are complete tail gaters, well they should be banned from driving. Grrrrrr!

Rear fog lights should only be used in the thickest of fogs (ie not a wee bit of mist)
 SonyaD 14 Nov 2011
Hmmm, not sure that bit about the 4 wheel drive vehicles made sense, but sure everyone gets my gist.
 digby 14 Nov 2011

I name you Eric the Blinding Red Light
In reply to Sonya Mc: I have heard of them being called.......

....."Idiot Lamps".....

At least if gives you a warning to keep well clear!!
 Bulls Crack 14 Nov 2011
In reply to Fultonius:
> (In reply to Sonya Mc) I have heard of them being called.......
>
>
> ....."Idiot Lamps".....
>
> At least if gives you a warning to keep well clear!!

Does that apply to everyone using fog-lights or just unnecessary use?
Franklin the pedantic cat 14 Nov 2011

And don't get me started on the front ones. What do people think these lights are for, decoration?

Quite a few manufacturers are utilising foglights as DRL's (daytime running lights). Although not the law in the UK (yet!!)they are mandatory on the continent. DRL's heve been supplied as standard on all UK cars since early 2011.

teflonpete 14 Nov 2011

Maybe they're the cycle to work in the dark with no lights on merchants, out for a Sunday drive...
In reply to Eric the Red: infuriates me. there seems to be A LOT of people doing this as each time I go out in my car i'd say there's nearer 1/5 cars with them on!
Knitting Norah 14 Nov 2011

I have to say I hate the people who drive around with front fog lights on at anytime of day or night when there is no fog. I really do wish they were prosecuted more often. I just can't see what they think they gain from having them on. They are a nuisance and often dazzle. The fact that they annoy people only causes frustration which could affect a person's driving.
In reply to Knitting Norah: I have to add that I equally despise those modern cars with those ridiculously bright headlights - usually on range rovers meaning they are in a more direct line with your eyes both from the front and behind!
 spearing05 15 Nov 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: If the front lamps are dazzling they are spot lights not fogs. Fog lights are st low down for a reason that is to illuminate the road without shining up into the fog which just bounces the light straight back at you. This is the same reason that you can see better on an unlit foggy road with your headlights dipped rather than on full.
A well set fog light shouldn't dazzle the driver in front.
In reply to spearing05:

I was out of the country when rear fog lamps first began to appear on cars. When I got back I spoke to several drivers to advise them that their "brake lights" were permanently "on"! Ho-hum

ALC

OwenF 15 Nov 2011
In reply to spearing05:

Agreed, I don't find the fog lights too dazzling. It's those horrendous 'super bright' 'cool blue' headlights that are either standard or retro-fitted on cars these days. When one of those comes at you on a single stretch of A9 you loose sight of the road ahead, mostly due to having to close your eyes!

My main issue with people leaving fog lights is:
a) in the dark it contributes to a bigger 'pool' of light aimed at you, thus blindness.
b) it's not cool, it is against the law. Why do it? It's not necessary!
 Denzil 15 Nov 2011
In reply to MarkH: Definition of fog is in:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/9/g/No._03_-_Water_in_the_Atmosphere....

which has 1km - as far as the metoffice is concerned, though in the same publication they do refer to "for the general public and motorists an upper limit of 200 m is more realistic"
In reply to Denzil: Or you could go by the much more sensible, rational suggestion of:

If you're struggling to see the car in front at a safe distance, then you (and eveyone else) should have their rear lights on.

If you're being dazzled/distracted by the person in front's fog lights, then you, and they, should turn them off.

Pretty self explanatory really!

Most people aren;t very good at guessing distances like "200m" and "1km" anyway, so why bother being stuck to a finite distance?

Front fog lights actually work pretty well, in fact, the only time I used them properly in my car it was so foggy that you could see better with the fogs on and headlights off! (Not so safe though, for oncoming traffic)
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Fultonius)
> [...]
>
> Does that apply to everyone using fog-lights or just unnecessary use?

Just the unnecessary use...

Milesy 15 Nov 2011
I really HATE when people have fog lights on when you can see for yonks ahead down the road. A week ago on the motorway visibility was clearly at least 500m+ and I was getting blinded everywhere by fog lights.
 Green Porridge 15 Nov 2011
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat:

> [DRLs] are mandatory on the continent.

Not in Germany. Here the rule for fog lights is that when visibility is 50m or better, you don't put anything on. When it's less than 50m, you are supposed to put on your fog light, but then the speed limit is automatically reduced to 50kph (30mph). In my experience, this isn't really adhered to. My general feeling is, if I think it's going to stop someone going into the back of me in fog, I'll put it on. If there's someone already there, the I shan't. Similarly, if it's a bendy road, it makes no sense as long as you can see to the next bend - anything around the corner you can't see anyway!

Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...