UKC

Snow!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 george mc 16 Nov 2011
1st December - it begins - again, and stays till Hogmanay. Sharpen those tools!
 mynyddresident 16 Nov 2011
I demand evidence. I normally like to pretend I'm looking the other way then.....oh look some snow
OP george mc 16 Nov 2011
In reply to mynyddresident:

Weasel entrails - cannae beat em. Mark the date. It will happen.
 Brass Nipples 16 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

It starts at 4.02am
OP george mc 16 Nov 2011
In reply to PaleMan:
> (In reply to george mc)
>
> It starts at 4.02am

4.03am - keep the facts straight.
Tim Chappell 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

George, if you're going to start stipulating the weather, why don't you stipulate a shedload of snow everywhere right now?
OP george mc 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Nope - the weasel entrails cannot be told what to do. Use the remaining weeks to prepare e.g. gird loins, sharpne crampons/picks, take freezing cold baths.

Actually it's bloody good rock climbing weather right now and I'm stuck inside.
 CurlyStevo 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: Which forecast are you using? actually it doesn't matter as none of them are accurate enough to go that far ahead anyways! Are you sure you are not jinxing it?
OP george mc 17 Nov 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Can't say - but no Trust me
 CurlyStevo 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: PS I remember clearly several very freak weather patterns like last years early winter and a very hot April a few years back that were not forecast 2 Weeks in advance! met office now refuses to go more than 4 weeks as they know its
Mumbo jumbo. Not sure on the latest figures but I'd imagine the current 50 percent accuracy mark is about 5 days ahead.
OP george mc 17 Nov 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to george mc) PS I remember clearly several very freak weather patterns like last years early winter and a very hot April a few years back that were not forecast 2 Weeks in advance! met office now refuses to go more than 4 weeks as they know its
> Mumbo jumbo. Not sure on the latest figures but I'd imagine the current 50 percent accuracy mark is about 5 days ahead.

Weasel entrails and the messages contained therein are not mubo jumbo. They are proven science.

CurlyStevo 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:
fair enuf, anyway fingers crossed on the winter. MET office are forecasting some colder weather (although not a mega freeze) for the first half of december so at this stage I guess december is looking much more fruitfull than november.
Dirk Didler 17 Nov 2011
In reply to mynyddresident: Watch this guy he can predict the future," he told us when it would first snow". I think he may be some sort of Druid priest, if he is some sort of Druid Sage i think it would be better for all if we tie him up with old hemp ropes and burn him atop a pile of old santa cruz heckler frames," these must be red" whilst chanting.....MWIS...MWIS...MWIS.
 MG 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:
Use the remaining weeks to prepare e.g. gird loins,

Do you have any Glemore advice on loin girding? What should I be using to gird. Currently I am trying mostly fat. Would something else be more effective? Thanks.
 ankyo 17 Nov 2011
In reply to MG: Lol!. Patagonia are bringing out a new range of loin girds for this season. A bit pricey at £340 but superb quality.
 Erik B 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: the trees down here in balmy west central scotland dont seem to agree, still rammed with leaves.. passed the half way point of november as well? mental
 James Edwards 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Erik B:
Last year because of the sudden start to winter a lot of the decidious trees kept their leaves all winter as they 'shut down' very suddenly.
It will be interesting to see if it happens again.
James e (from Autumn Watch)
 Martin W 17 Nov 2011
In reply to ankyo:
> (In reply to MG) Lol!. Patagonia are bringing out a new range of loin girds for this season. A bit pricey at £340 but superb quality.

Wait til you see the pricetag on the Arc'teryx ones...
 Andy Mountains 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

I know exactly when conditions in Snowdonia will be perfect... the week of mon 5th - fri 9th December.
Due to the fact I am on a course in Liverpool then & cannot escape from
 Martin W 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to george mc) the trees down here in balmy west central scotland dont seem to agree, still rammed with leaves.. passed the half way point of november as well? mental

Up until this week half the trees in our garden still had green leaves. They've just started falling these last few days. OTOH our rowan has new leaf buds starting to open, and most of our rose bushes are both flowering and putting on new growth! This is at 600ft altitude on the south side of Edinburgh. I don't know what to think.

My big dilemma is: last year, and the year before to a degree, there were superb ski touring conditions on the Pentlands - if I'd only had some gear! If I bite the bullet this year and shell out ~£1K on touring kit you can bet that nary a snowflake will fall between now and next Easter.
 jonnie3430 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Martin W:

German ebay will get you ski touring kit for less than 500, and if you are careful less than 300 including boots.
 BallsOfSteel 17 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:
shhhh with the german ebay.... the less competition the better!
BOS
 Joak 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: Thanks for the heids up George, much appreciated. The freezing cold baths certainly helps curb my sometimes over zealous enthusiasm for the girding.
OP george mc 17 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Martin W)
>
> German ebay will get you ski touring kit for less than 500, and if you are careful less than 300 including boots.

You can also get some authentic black leather loin girds...

OP george mc 17 Nov 2011
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to george mc)
> Use the remaining weeks to prepare e.g. gird loins,
>
> Do you have any Glemore advice on loin girding? What should I be using to gird. Currently I am trying mostly fat. Would something else be more effective? Thanks.

All Glenmore Instructors use the Marmot fleece lined loin girder with tensioning straps and fleece wrapped fastex buckles to prevent chaffing.

You did ask...

OP george mc 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to george mc) the trees down here in balmy west central scotland dont seem to agree, still rammed with leaves.. passed the half way point of november as well? mental

The weasel entrails also say that the west coast is going to be become a sun drenched haven full of naturists and keep fit types...

Well, they're not always right...
OP george mc 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Dirk Didler:
> (In reply to mynyddresident) Watch this guy he can predict the future," he told us when it would first snow". I think he may be some sort of Druid priest, if he is some sort of Druid Sage i think it would be better for all if we tie him up with old hemp ropes and burn him atop a pile of old santa cruz heckler frames," these must be red" whilst chanting.....MWIS...MWIS...MWIS.

Ah ha! I know your name so I do

You may cut me down but I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Toby S 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

I was having a pooh earlier (one of those 'difficult' ones where you have to squint and bear down) and I had a vision that would appear to corroborate your own prediction. Although I felt that the snow fall will actually start at 8am in time for rush hour.

<<note to self: eat more veg and fibre>>
 PontiusPirate 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

It's no good it only staying to Hogmanay! I only get to Scotland on the 30th of December... though if it's anything like last year (unlikely!) it'll be Shining Clough on Boxing Day again!

To be serious for a moment, no-one's forecast has a 'strong signal', surprising _unlike_ last year, where Mark Vogan had been predicting the onset of a 'real' winter for a couple of months before hand ("end of November"), and then got the day right two weeks in advance... mainly by looking at a combination of different people's forecasts. He'd also got the previous year's winter very well described.
For this year, currently, he's the only one to stick his neck out and say that the UK will still get another very significant cold and snowy spell; to paraphrase: most probably starting from mid-December and lasting until near the end of January.
There are some very, very cold conditions in Alaska and Eastern Siberia at the moment, but they are being 'offset' by our exceedingly mid Autumn thus far. Our previous 3 Autumns have all been very mild as well.
I'm watching all this with a lot of interest (and the knowledge that the coolant in my car needs its anti-freeze replacing!) I wouldn't say anything is 'odds on', but I am expecting, and preparing for, 'interesting' conditions again...

PP
Mr JustDoIt 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Toby S: I am having my tea, do you mind! Although, I predict it to snow on the 5th December 06.00 hours. Care to bet?
 Erik B 17 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: as im back in scotland this season you can guarantee it will be a shite one!

god help our livers!
 Erik B 17 Nov 2011
In reply to James Edwards: i blame the media, everyone expecting the doomsday snowy winter again, must have done wonders for the 4x4 market and ukrainien gas supplies to the Uk
 AlH 17 Nov 2011
In reply to Erik B: Aha!! You're back... now I have someone to blame for any limitations of conditions for the season ahead!
 Martin W 17 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:

> German ebay will get you ski touring kit for less than 500, and if you are careful less than 300 including boots.

Useful advice. I respect (and rely on) my feet too much to buy second hand boots, though, and it looks like they'd set me back £300 on their own. The rest of the gear I'm less fussy about so there could be a saving there. Trouble is, I know zip about the pros and cons of different models of ski so I really need to take advice on that - which tends to mean a retailer.
 Erik B 17 Nov 2011
In reply to PontiusPirate: do you class Mid November as Autumn?
 Erik B 17 Nov 2011
In reply to AlH: yes, my jinx will knacker it for you im afraid mate, just send me invoices for loss of business
 ezzpbee 18 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: Allready snowed here just north of Cardiff, last week cycling home from work there were definate flakes of snow in the beam of my headlamp and not the only one to see them either.
 David55 18 Nov 2011
In reply to Toby S: That is brilliant, pooing as the new method of weather forecasting. Have you any suggestions for my lottery numbers?
 CurlyStevo 18 Nov 2011
In reply to Erik B:
> (In reply to PontiusPirate) do you class Mid November as Autumn?

it's arbitrary isn't it. But previously I have always thought of the seasons as:
Autumn - sept, oct, nov
Winter - dec, jan , feb
Spring - march, april, may
Summer - june, july, aug

Many would use the 1st of the month but many UK defintions use the 22!

Stevo
 owlart 18 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: It's currently snowing in Vancouver, so my sister has just posted on Facebook!
 JohnnyW 18 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

Weasel entrails? Don't remember you teaching us about those on me course George!

It's better be a hard winter, coz I have just moved down off the Touch hills into Stirling after 10yrs of snow chains, gutters ripped off etc, to a nice warm gaff in the town. I have even fitted an isolation valve to the outside tap ffs, readiness or what.

I love my winter climbing, but I only love it over 300m
 Pids 18 Nov 2011
In reply to Erik B:

trees stripped of leaves in the Shire

Erik B 18 Nov 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: november to me is winter, particularly from a climbing point of view. but thanks for your educating post
 Erik B 18 Nov 2011
In reply to Pids: neds?
 Darkskys 18 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: I hate reading this post...I forget then get quite excited when I see it in the Forum expecting a lovely frosting somewhere!!!

Grrrrr
OP george mc 18 Nov 2011
In reply to Darkskys:
> (In reply to george mc) I hate reading this post...I forget then get quite excited when I see it in the Forum expecting a lovely frosting somewhere!!!
>
> Grrrrr

Dinae fret petal - looks like there will be a slight frosting around mid week. Still a few weeks before the real deal though

Slugain Howff 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

2 deg in the village and a dusting of snow on the Deeside hills near Lochnagar as I type - now that's more like it!

S
 Jamie Hageman 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: Heavy snow here in Fort William above about 800m, probably lower inland (Grey Corries), but warmer tomorrow with rain at all levels, then back to cold again. The wind is pretty nasty at the mo though.
In reply to Jamie Hageman: in fact it's down to about 450m in Glen Nevis
 Toby S 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Down to about 100m in Inverness. Was lower but it thawed a bit during the morning.
 CurlyStevo 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:
Current long range met office forecast doesn't really seem to be inline with your prediction. Looks like we'll get a colder spell for the next two weeks, but not a very cold persistent spell, freeze thaw cycles still likely IMO as well as snow to lower levels at times. Past that the forecast is stormy and wet and if anything slightly warmer than average for the time of year.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html
 Simon Caldwell 25 Nov 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Only a week ago the same long range forecast had no mention of the cold spell that's just beginning...
In reply to Toby S: Oh really!!!
Did you see Andy Kirkpatrick last night Toby? He was ace
 James Edwards 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:
Well, it was snowing / sleeting at sea level this morning near Inverness. Lots of snow up high on Ben Wyvis and surounding hills and i'm told by friends that the Cairngorms are in a similar situation.
Hopefully this will be the start of a gradual build up rather than an all here all gone pattern.
James e
 CurlyStevo 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Toreador:
not true see my post from the 17 (8 days ago) the long range forecast from the met has stayed pretty much in line with what it had.

"In reply to george mc:
fair enuf, anyway fingers crossed on the winter. MET office are forecasting some colder weather (although not a mega freeze) for the first half of december so at this stage I guess december is looking much more fruitfull than november."
 CurlyStevo 25 Nov 2011
In reply to James Edwards:
The forecast is looking quite good IMO for build up on higher ground. Freeze thaw cycles should help to consolidate the snow and make it more long lasting.
Tim Chappell 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

The weasel lied. It's snowing already.

(Not here, but see other posts. And here in Dundee, we're getting the kind of rain that tells you that it's snowing not far away.)
 Joak 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: Wee dusting visible on the tops of the Ochills on my way in to start my backshift.
DougieClegg 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: on the ben nevis webcam looks asif theres loads of snow!
 SonyaD 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell: Snow on the lower Angus hills. Just been for a walk, fricking baltic and windy as hell!
benallan 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

Was in scotland last weekend, around tyndrum, it was like summer - very warm, plenty of foliage and even the odd midge fliting about.
 rusty_nails 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) Snow on the lower Angus hills. Just been for a walk, fricking baltic and windy as hell!

LIKE!!!
Coire Bog 25 Nov 2011
In reply to rusty_nails:

http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Webcam

What quantity of your juice flows on sight of snow?
 Simon Caldwell 25 Nov 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
OK it was a little more than a week ago, 10 days to be precise. MWIS said there was no sign of any sustained cold weather, so I checked the met office and they agreed.
In reply to george mc:

Snow on the tops of Arran, told my wife last night, that there would be today.

A pretty horrible day here, though.

Stuart
 walkingOn 25 Nov 2011
In reply to DougieClegg: I agree ... It's plastered in it and glencoe mountain cams are looking good... Just need a good freeze thaw freeze thaw freeze thaw cycle with more dumps and
Tim Chappell 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Jgh69:

Just been up the Law Hill; nothing showing on the Sidlaws. Grampians enveloped in clag.
 CurlyStevo 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Toreador:
yeah but GeorgeMc hadn't forecast it then either
 Toby S 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

oh ffs, did I miss him Inverness again?! Mind you I've seen him a few times in the past so it's not a huge disaster.
 SonyaD 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell: Sidlaws too low. Snow down to 600m, Hill of Wirren looked pretty white.
Tim Chappell 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) Sidlaws too low. Snow down to 600m, Hill of Wirren looked pretty white.

And so it begins. Woot woot!

I LOVE Scottish winters, I always get a thrill out of watching them start. Even when The Whiteness emerges out of months of unrelenting crap like this autumn.

Last year was brilliant. Really, it's hard to see how anything much could top the way last winter started.
OP george mc 25 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

Bloody weasels. No feckin' good...

Lost all feeling in my feet at 11am this morning. Now just getting the feeling back into em. Mountain biking in slush = great winter conditioning...
 Dave Hewitt 25 Nov 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> Snow on the lower Angus hills. Just been for a walk, fricking baltic and windy as hell!

Was on Ochils this afternoon – King’s Seat round to Ben Cleuch. No snow below 530m, but a reasonable ankle-deep covering above 650m. Not sure it’ll be there for very long, though. Sharp wind – glad I was wearing two pairs of trousers.

OP george mc 26 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc:

Well that was quick...

Maybe the weasel entrails are going to be right after all
kevneal 26 Nov 2011
In reply to george mc: i predict the requirement to shapredn the edges rather than the points ! there only for if you loose a ski and have to look for it...

not that i have ever done that recently...
bored offshore its windy !
In reply to george mc:
> 1st December - it begins - again, and stays till Hogmanay. Sharpen those tools!

Bloody Hell, he was just about right on when it would next snow!

Well Done that Man!

now lets hope the second half of the prediction is right and that it will stay till Hogmanay
 Rick Ashton 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Northern Climber: please please please stay till Hogmany
 oor wullie 01 Dec 2011
In reply to kevneal:
I think everyone is bored offshore Kevneal.
Here (WoS) 97kn wind this morning, we have had 22m waves which are coming over deck and folk that were due to crew change a week ago are still here!
We shouldn't be out in this.

Winter is here.
Tim Chappell 01 Dec 2011
In reply to oor wullie:

Doesn't look to be *deep* snow on either Cairngorm or Ben Nevis webcam. Just looks sleety and miserable to me.

<heads out anyway>
 James Edwards 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:
It was visually very impressive on Ben Wyvis this morning, looked to be a few inches deep. Less snow from what i could tell down the straths, but still winter on the high tops.
It look like a good start.
James e

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...