UKC

Vapour Rise Jacket, Any good???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dopey_172 21 Nov 2011
Hi all,

Firstly is Vapour rise as good as its made out to be in the reviews I have read?

I am looking to get a new jacket for this winter. I would use it mostly for hillwalking, cragging and maybe some easy winter climbing. Would I be better with the Vapour rise guide jacket or just the normal vapour rise jacket?

Also what are the trousers like? As they are lined they seem like they would be quite warm, I don't normally have any problems with my legs getting cold so I am concerned I may get too hot in them.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance
Dom
In reply to Dopey_172: I've got a VR that I've found great for winter climbing (with light shell over the top), winter hillwalking, ski touring, general autumn cragging top, and hillrunning in abysmal blizzardy weather.

it tends to be quite a warm garment when worn next to the skin - be careful with your layering.

A l,ot of people report fitting problems with it, and in particular sleeves that ride up when you lift your arms. Perosnally I have not had that problem but if you buy one, try it on, with a harness and lift your arms up high to see if it rides up on you.

I really rate them but it is not a piece of kit that everyone gets on with.
marmot hunter 21 Nov 2011
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
Got two, they're brilliant! Far warmer than they should be, lighter than you'd imagine.
VR jcket and baselayer has been enough to 3700m in the Alps for me these last two summers.
As previously said, good for skiing and climbing plus MTB and cold weather running. One of mine lives in my MR sack as I'm in an MR fell running section.
Can't praise them enough!
In reply to Dopey_172: I've not read any reviews but I'm a big fan of VR. My basic outfit for most climbing and hillwalking year round is a base layer and normal weight VR jacket; I might add an extra layer underneath or a belay jacket on top if it's very cold, or a waterproof on top in properly wet weather. But it's surprising how much dampness and cold you can get away with in just a VR jacket when moving. I find the trousers very warm too, best in winter. The cut's a bit baggy though, combined with gaiters they look like a pair of jodhpurs.
 SGD 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: Another thumbs up for VR. I found the trousers are very warm probably due to been worn next to the skin as opposed to my jacket which I wear with a base layer. I do recall on one high intensity walk I did last year in cold wether and I could see how good the wicking properties of the VR top were by the amound of sweat on the outside of the jacket and how toasty I felt without felling clammy
 afshapes 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: really good jacket, so versatile
 monkeyboyraw 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: More thumbs up for the VR. I have the old style smock which is ace, great pockets for hand warming and stashing kit. The liner can be a bit fiddly with a long sleeve base layer sometimes. I've used my nearly every time out whether that is walking, climbing summer or winter. Has been plenty warm enough for me upto summit Kili with only a synthetic gillet over the top. The new VR shape has changed and the pockets have been cut differently so they aren't as voluminous. I've never had a probablem with the sleeve or body length on mine, I'm 6'5 with ape arms! Can't comment on new style though. Trousers I find too warm for anything outdoor, used for lounging about Basecamp etc then toasty.
 SFM 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172:

Another vote for VR. I've got the smock and use it only in cold weather and for winter climbing otherwise it's too hot. I sometimes walk in with it next to my skin so that I can keep my baselayer dry for the actual climbing. Quite amazing how dry it stays if you use it that way.

Summer I use a Marmot Driclime(same concept)beacause it's lighter but has a less weather resistant outer and no hood.

Mine is an older version and the forearms are cut a but on the skinny side. Also if you wear a merino baselayer then inner doesn't slide too well over it. No great issue but something I've noticed. Definitely worth checking the fit in store before you buy.

Darkskys 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: Another vote! I've got the guide after a friend recommended it to me. I've not tried it out to its full extent at the mo as I usually run really warm so I've only used it for work, round town etc but it fits like a dream and feels great!
I'm looking forward to trying it out in full on winter conditions too. It wicks better than my bloody waterproof!!!
 neon_blue 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: The VR is my favourite bit of kit that has kept me warm and comfortable in a number of hellish conditions. Biggest problem is trying to get it off the wife, she is forever stealing it.
 mlmatt 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172:

I used a VR jacket for about 4 years before I traded it with a friend for a VR smock. I onlt had the smock because he wanted a jacket and I fancied trying a smock out as I wanted something that wouldn't interfere with my harness at all.

I've found it to be a excellent piece of clothing. It it generally my primary outer layer, with a single thermal underneath it (weight depending on the weather). It's isn't completly windproof, but who wants a soft shell that is. It ia also surprisingly showerproof and seems to dry out quite quickly while you're moving about.

The cut of the jacket/smock always seems quite large but then again I like this. It doesn't raise up around the waist when I raise my arms climbing or winter climbing. The hood on it is decent enough to cover a helment and keep me warm.

I'm afraid I've not used a pair of the trousers, but I'd love to try a set based on the jacket/smock!
OP Dopey_172 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172:
Cheers everyone, not one bad review that's pretty good. I think I will get the jacket and see how I get on with it all before I go for the trousers.

Thanks again for the help

Dom
OP Dopey_172 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: One final question, do you guys think the Guide version of the Vapour Rise Jacket would be too warm with its extra fleece lining as most of you have said that the jackets are already warm enough???

I like the look of the guide version it looks a bit more technical. The hood seems much better and with the pockets also set higher up it seems like a better designed jacket just worried it would be too warm while out using it in earnest.

Cheers again for all the help
Dom
 wilkesley 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172:

Yet another happy user. The only thing I don't like is the jacket hood, but that's probably just me. At least you can take it off completely if you don't want it.

Trousers are excellent. Nice and breathable, so you don't get clammy. The design is a bit like Buffalo. Provided you keep moving and generating heat your skin stays dry even in persistent drizzle/rain.
 Gav Parker 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172:

Excellent piece of kit...Ive had the smock and trousers for at least 6 years....as said before very warm for the weight and very very hardwaring. The trousers are perfect for winter with only an outer shell needed in wet conditions. Get one.....
 Alpinehero 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: I've just bought the vapour rise guide jacket. Tried both the guide and trail version on in the shop and thought the guide version looked and felt better. I'm not concerned that it'll be too warm - I intend to use it for winter mountaineering or belaying at the bottom of crags.

Its lovely and comfy! Much better than my normal windstopper softshell!
drmarten 23 Nov 2011
I'm another happy VR smock user. I got the new style with two handwarmer pockets instead of the kangaroo pocket and it's my upper layer of choice when heading for the hills. I normally wear a base layer underneath and only ever put on a hardshell if it's really wet. I have a Buffalo windshirt I slip over the top in high winds to cut out the wind. I have the trousers but only wear when I'm going to be hillwalking on a cold, dry day as I find them a touch on the warm side.
 Aigen 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Dopey_172: I had a Rab VR hooded and did not like it. It is not windproof. The hood is not big enough go go over a helmet and hind inside from the wind. Your face is still exposed to the wind. Its is only rainproof for about 5 mins. It has a strange fit across the upper arms. When you are swinging axes its a pain. I sold mine and got a lightly insulated softshell and it is much better for autumn, winter and spring activities.
In reply to Dopey_172: Getting the guide version could be a mistake (way too hot for most things), get the normal then use another layer if required to boost it, this way it will be way more flexible. VR are very good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...