UKC

Fell Running advice for a useless runner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 'Hilda' 22 Nov 2011
Basically I'm crap at running. I want to a least be competent - had a double c-spinal Fusion recently and balance issues - but now on road to recovery. Need a challenge to work towards. Thinking of the coast to coast lancashire to robins hood bay. But running had never been my forte want to embrace fell running - so looking for helpful advice for a reluctant runner - I really want to be one of those people who can knock off 15 k over hills just for the enjoymant. Thanks
OP 'Hilda' 22 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda': I really should proof read before posting!!!! Shudderingly bad English! Shouldnt post on a iPhone!
 Roberttaylor 22 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda': Enjoy fell running, it is fun.
 rossowen 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor: I agree - get out and do it
 Tony the Blade 22 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda':

Yeah, what ^^^ they said.

I see you're over 40, so you're the right age.

However, you need to develop the male pattern baldness to have any chance of being a fell runner, and grow a beard.

Seriously, I got into it via MM's and, like you, consider myself a very average runner (10k road in an hour). But it's so much more than times and distances, I just love it when I get in my stride and feel like I could run all day. I can probably run 30k in the hills but wouldn't dream of doing that on the road.

Good luck with it, go small to start, something manageable and build up. Coastal runs are great as a starter as they're very up and down but not one or the other for great distances.

Keep posting on here how you get on.
gizmo 22 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda':

Basically what these guys said. Forget about the coast to coast for now and just go out running. Stop when you get tired. If you feel like running for a little further then do. If you feel a niggle/pain, rest for a couple of days. Run somewhere with nice views - you might as well enjoy the scenery whilst you're out. Don't get too hung up on how far/fast you've run. If you focus on the enjoyment, you'll do it more often. The more you run, the more you'll improve. Before you know it you'll be covering distances you never thought you'd be able to manage, and you'll still be enjoying it.
 dmhigg 22 Nov 2011
In reply to gizmo: Like they said, but no beard. Beards are sooo 1980s. Lycra's coming back, though.
 Denni 22 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda':

I hate running but, am out and about a reasonable amount when not looking after a feral child.

Only way is a decent pair of daps and mileage, I do however wish there were an easier way!
 George Ormerod 23 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda':
> Basically I'm crap at running.

Most fell running for ordinary mortals is brisk hill walking up-hill and running on the flats and downhills. Just get some shoes and go out an play; fitness builds up.
 Ridge 23 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda':
What everyone else said. There's more to fell running as a mere mortal than times and distances, it's just getting out there and doing it. The main thing is getting over the idea that you must constantly be running. Dropping to a fast walk on the really steep bits has done wonders for me, it's no longer a lung and leg bursting pain to go out for a run.
 Phil1919 23 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda': Run slow, and if it hurts too much, slow down. Over time you will suddenly get faster. But whatever it takes, do it.
 Guy 23 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda': I cheat and pick a route which has a nice scramble on it on the way up that way I can slow down and get my breath back i.e. up Tryfan N Ridge then run down and up to Bristly Ridge then run the top of the Glyders and back down to Ogwen Valley. All the major up hill work is scrambling, bonus!
 Banned User 77 23 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda': not read the comments but saw enjoy.. that's first..

don't be fustrated by walking.. its normal..

get out lots..
get confident..
start steady..
be safe
run with others..
run interesting routes.. like you would for a walk
target hills in training
accept pain.. as in never stop, even if walking
understand it never gets easier.. you get fitter.. you just hurt the same but at a faster pace and recover quicker at the top..
descend carefully when on your own.. idiotic descending is risky, damages your body, so save that for races.
develop good map memory
learn what styles work for you ascending.. small steps running, large strides.. bent over.. hands on knees..
don't make excuses..
 Tall Clare 23 Nov 2011
In reply to IainRUK:

I think I might print that list out.
 Ridge 23 Nov 2011
In reply to IainRUK:

Good list, I'd also say don't use a stopwatch. Before being injured I was very conscious about making sure I was improving, pushing harder if I was slower at a particular point on the route than I was the week before, getting wound up about not speeding up compared to a few weeks ago.
My very slow rehabilitation has coincided with the dark nights, so it's solo fell runs with the dog in the dark, which has forced me to take it slow. Coupled with the revelation that you don't have to keep running uphill until the point of collapse and that it's ok to slow to a walk on the steep bits, this has let to me enjoying it far more. I;ve also. touch wood, avoided injury. Pushing yourself has it's place, but I reckon I'll leave it at least a year before training hard. I had a superb hilly nine miler last night, only averaged about 5.3 mph, but a really enjoyable night on the hills under the stars. To me that's what it's all about.
 Banned User 77 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Ridge: yeah, good point. I think even when running a lot, quick hard runs should be limited, but I do most of my training at a steady pace. Only 1 max 2 sessions a week really hard, but I'm always trying to up my mileage so will only put in speed work after I've stabilised at a weekly distance.
 SonyaD 23 Nov 2011
In reply to 'Hilda': Keep your core STRONG now you've had your op, cos running can really screw with your spine (if you're not careful) Build it up slowly whilst your back gets used to the impact of running. I know it's fell running and it's easier on you impact wise than road running but it's tougher in other ways. Get REALLY grippy shoes as a slip and a jarring of your spinal ligaments hurts. Be prepared for some back muscle spasm as you get used to it, but don't be frightened of the spasm, it does ease off as your back gets stronger. Go slow on the uphills and don't be scared to cut loose on the downhills (if you're sure footed enough) Also, accept that if you're muscles were affected at all by the nerve damage you suffered then they might not ever get 100% right and you might get niggles from time to time due to tight calfs and hamstrings. STRETCH.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...