UKC

NEWS: UKC and UKH Readers Help Mountain Rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Nov 2011
NEWSAR (North East Wales Search and Rescue), 5 kbLast month UKC and UKH Readers got behind the Mountain Rescue Services to help secure some much-needed funding via the NatWest CommunityForce scheme.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=65275
 richprideaux 30 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

A massive thank you once again to UKC, everybody who voted and to Natwest for the support they have given NEWSAR.

In reply to shingsowa:

absolutely! Great to see some money going into MR wherever it goes.

I'm in an MRT in Lancs and we were bidding for this money too; sadly we didn't feature in UKC's article this time. Hopefully next time UKC will look at MR as a whole and not just those teams lucky enough to get their foot in the door?

However - some's better than none, and thanks to all UKC readers who made a vote. Enjoy the funds NEWSAR! (Perhaps get some red jackets instead of yellow?!?!??)
 richprideaux 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Mungo Shuntobox:

Thanks mate! But i think you may be a little unfair to UKClimbing here.

As the article says, we/I approached UKC at the eleventh hour asking to buy a premier post to help publicise it. Alan immediately offered to put up a news item instead, and to include as many teams as I was aware of in the Natwest project. I only knew of Aberglaslyn MRT, and contacted their team leader. As the news item went up, other teams who were involved in the bid came forward, and Alan added them to the item as they gave him the info.

We've got some nice red and black ones already (bottom photo on the news item), but I do like the yellow ones

christopher bate 01 Dec 2011
In reply to shingsowa: Come on !!!!!!!
In reply to christopher bate:

Hmm perhaps a little bit unfair yes; as you say it was all eleventh hour (which is normal for us I know) and I was a teeny bit miffed when I saw the original UKC news item asking for people to vote because it really did look like there were only four teams in the running whereas the real number would have been a lot higher.

Perhaps I was really suggesting to UKC that a more 'global' approach to MR teams might be cool, and UKC could try asking folks to support the Teams where they climb walk or live?

All with the benefit of hindsight I know to be fair to UKC - just thoughts for the next time.
In reply to Mungo Shuntobox:

Hi

Initially we weren't even aware that there was a scheme running so when Richard approach me I asked him about other local campaigns. He only knew of the one he mentioned.

I actually tried the search routine on the NatWest site before producing the first report and it returned no results for 'mountain rescue' which was curious. It later proved to be a very temperamental search routine that would occasionally turn up with decent results but not always as I discovered.

Someone on the thread pointed out some other bids and someone else mentioned that the RBS scheme in Scotland meant that you could get an extra 3 votes. This is how the final list of 6 came about.

Anyway, it was a learning experience for all of us. In future if people get in touch as soon as they can, then we can get behind the campaign in a big way since it did prove that, when you mobilise UKC readers behind a cause, they will make a big difference.

Cheers

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...