UKC

NEWS: Caldwell Abandons El Cap For This Year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Dec 2011
Tommy Caldwell, 4 kbAmerican climber Tommy Caldwell has abandoned this year's attempts on the Dawn Wall project on Yosemite's El Capitan, California.

The route is a difficult line linking the aid routes of Mescalito and Dawn Wall, which Caldwell and fellow American climber Kevin Jorgeson have been attempting to free climb for several years.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=65298

In reply to UKC News:

"Time will tell whether I return. But regardless, this project has left me profoundly inspired. I will be back."

Slightly mixed messages there. Hope he is back, though.

jcm
 PeterJuggler 01 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News: They should build a replica of the dyno and maybe some of the other cruxes and get them wired over the winter.
 poeticshambles 01 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News: Does he have the number 2 finger, distal phalanx on his left hand missing? Or is it just me?
 Michael Ryan 01 Dec 2011
In reply to poeticshambles:

Yip. Wood saw accident.
 poeticshambles 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Well, that just makes what he does ever the more amazing.
 Michael Ryan 01 Dec 2011
In reply to poeticshambles:

Back in 2001, below from Camp 4.

At his home in Estes Park, Colorado on November 29, Tommy Caldwell cut off his left index finger just above the middle knuckle. He was reported to be using a table saw in a home improvement project. Rock and Ice Magazine says, "Beth Rodden was at home with Caldwell and helped find and ice the severed tip before getting him to the hospital. Caldwell’s finger has since been reattached with pins, and he is making good progress. He is expected to return home from the hospital on December 7."

However, in the following week, Tommy made the decision to stop treatments to reattach his finger. The doctors said it would be a long process and he would never be able to use it in climbing. Caldwell and all those around him, believe it was the right move to make.

In reply to UKC News:

Some truly fantastic footage.
 andi turner 01 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News: Inspirational.

I like the type 1/type 2 fun thing too. I'd not heard that before. It's good!
 JLS 02 Dec 2011
In reply to Blobb:

It's Type 2 news i.e. not news at the moment but will be news in the future. UKC is always ahead of the curve.
 poeticshambles 03 Dec 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Wow, thank you for the reply, Mick, interesting. It certainly doesn't seem to have slowed his progress at all.

I hope he goes back to complete the route. I think it's hard for most of us to realise just how difficult what he is doing really is.

Great job, good luck to Tommy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...