UKC

Climbing instructor's insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MartinPL 01 Dec 2011
Hi

I would like to start working as a climbing instructor, I'v got a qualifications from other country. How it looks like in UK ?. As I know, I need current public liability insurance in respect of their instructor's role. Where can I get it ? What is a price for that ?
Many thanks for advice

Martin
 StuLade 01 Dec 2011
In reply to MartinPL: Most people in the UK go through the MLTA or AMI representative bodies for those who have UK quals. You can go direct to the insuerers themselves. The policies are with Royal Sun Alliance, but I think Pekins and Slade do the brokering.
OP MartinPL 01 Dec 2011
In reply to StuLade:

Thank you, I'v just contacted with RSA office in Leeds
 Andy S 01 Dec 2011
In reply to MartinPL: if you are working for outdoor centres or other such organisations as a freelancer, you may be covered under their insurance, therefore not needing your own insurance. Some freelancers think you should have your own insurance anyway, but some disagree. Always an interesting debate! If in doubt, buy it.
OP MartinPL 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Andy S:
I thought rather to be independent instructor (self-employed) so I need to buy insurance.
 Alpa 01 Dec 2011
OP MartinPL 01 Dec 2011
In reply to parsa and Andy S:

Thanks fellows for advices
 Andy S 01 Dec 2011
In reply to MartinPL: if you are working ENTIRELY off your own back i.e. the clients are using your equipment, your facilities etc then you definitely need insurance (although it's not a legal requirement, as far as I know - it's just a very good idea to have it!). But if you are working in a freelancce capacity (still self-employed) for other companies, then you don't always need your own insurance.
 Freg1 03 Dec 2011
In reply to Andy S:

It depends on whether you wish to be covered by an insurer working for you, or working for the company which is using your services.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...