UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Neil Mawson Decks Off Meshuga (E9)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Dec 2011
Neil Mawson Falling off Meshuga, 3 kbA video of Neil Mawson's crunching ground-fall from Meshuga (E9), with a reflective interview on hard and dangerous trad climbing.

"At the time I didn't think that my fall off Meshuga had affected me that much but looking back it definitely did..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=65315

The Pylon King 05 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Nasty fall but not as nasty as the M people soundtrack. Who's bright idea was that!!
 Alex Thompson 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Nasty fall but not as nasty as the M people soundtrack. Who's bright idea was that!!

Class comment.
 creag 05 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News:
PLease someone tell me he is not leading with a low stretch rope and it's an Edelrid Cobra or something similar? (white dynamic rope).
 remus Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2011
In reply to creag: Its pretty unlikely.
In reply to Alex Thompson:
>
> Class comment.

Indeed, that did make me laugh!

franksnb 05 Dec 2011
In reply to creag: lets give him the benefit of the doubt, if he's climbing E9 he probably knows that static rope is best avoided.

on topic - It's refreshing to hear a sensible and honest opinion regarding dangerous trad.
 Enty 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Alex Thompson:

> Nasty fall but not as nasty as the M people soundtrack. Who's bright idea was that!!

I thought the soundtrack was good - Neil taking the piss out of himself in a way.

"Just who do you think you are" "Take it like a man" etc etc

E
 Franco Cookson 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Enty:

Yeh, the soundtrack was great I thought.

Seeing as there was a lot of chat about grade, I'm interested to know if he thinks Meshuga is soft for E9 or not, seeing as it's 'only' 7c and 2 people have fallen off and been ok? Obviously it's insecure and perhaps the 2 people have just been very lucky. Interesting to ponder though...
 Reach>Talent 05 Dec 2011
In reply to franksnb:
"lets give him the benefit of the doubt, if he's climbing E9 he probably knows that static rope is best avoided"

Some E7 climbers don't seem to know, but maybe they are just lucky

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=482046&v=1#x6630122
 John Mcshea 05 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Didn't Mike Weeks take the same fall as well as Gresham?
 The Pylon King 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Alex Thompson)
>
> [...]
>
> I thought the soundtrack was good - Neil taking the piss out of himself in a way.
>
> "Just who do you think you are" "Take it like a man" etc etc
>
> E

Oh yeah, it was a piss take, sorry thought it was serious! doh!!
 Peter Walker 05 Dec 2011
In reply to John Mcshea: Mike Weeks took a near ground fall off Harder, Faster...don't think he fell off (or indeed tried) Meshuga.

In reply to Franco Cookson: If memory serves Tom de Gay opined that Meshuga was 'hard E8' after making the 3rd or 4th ascent...he was the first person to stick in that low gear to protect the slap around the corner and he thought it would hold.
 Franco Cookson 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Peter Walker: Thanks, that makes sense.
 doylo 05 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News:

When i edited the footage 6 years ago i selected the track purely for the line: 'so who do you think you are, stop acting like some kind of star'.
Paul Twomey 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Peter Walker:
Luckily speedy Tim Emmett save Mike from decking out with a fast sprint down the hill. Tim pre-practiced the run a few times, just in case. It was pretty gripping none the less. It was even more gripping when Jean-minh took the fall off Gaia though. With Mike the trajectory took him straight into the cave as long as Tim took in enough rope but Jean-minh was straight into the arete.

Watching Neil hit the deck on the vid though is sickening - even when you know he's alright!
 doylo 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Paul Twomey:

My camera filmed that too! It misted over and Mike managed to reverse a move before dropping. Glad i'm out that scene these days, stressful!
 Brendan 05 Dec 2011
In reply to Paul Twomey:
I was actually quite annoyed that they left the footage in when I first watched Committed. I found it pretty upsetting, haven't watched that section again.
 Bulls Crack 05 Dec 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I blame those Black Rocks blackeners - the routes clearly been resprayed.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=484978

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...