UKC

winter gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jay2K 12 Dec 2011
Ok so I'm after some advice on some pants for my winter adventures. I've got a pair of Bergies which aren't quite a soft shell but are very nice n stretchy and slightly water repellent, good for general walking and cragging I guess. Anyway, say I'm toddling up a mountain and all of a sudden we hit snow and its cold, would I be ok in these sort of pants along with some thermals? Or should I invest in some proper over-trousers/salopettes and wear those directly over the top of some good thermals instead? Is it even worth the money??

Ta.
 Sharp 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Jay2K: A lot of people get on well with softshells in winter, Having a high wind resistance or being wind proof is the most important thing imo. They all have varying amounts of wind resistance/proof ranging from fully windproof gore windstopper to a lesser resistance of something like polartec. Being beghaus if it's the windstopper or the AF fabric then they're both up to the job, you'll know yourself how windproof they are. As you say, a nice pair of long johns underneath and you'll be toasty.

The time when a fully waterproof pant is the best choice is probably if it's raining when you set off or you're going to be climbing wet ice or sitting in wet snow. Someone will be along shortly to recomend a pair of decathlon salopettes shortly....

Ben
 GrahamD 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Jay2K:

Being hit by rain unexpectedly is far more likely than being 'hit by cold'. Therefore I would say decent overtrousers will make the most difference to controlling your temperature. Thermals you will decide to put on or not in the morningand and less it really gets desperate you won't want to add or remove during the day.

Assuming you are talking about trousers rather than pants that is.
 mlmatt 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Sharp:

I recommend a good pair of decathalon salopettes!

But in all seriousness having the trousers you've described on with a pair of thermals is probably going to be ok for the majority of conditions. If the weather gets really bad (or it looks like it will get really bad) then a nice pair of waterproof overtrousers will provide better waterproof and windproofness.
Jay2K 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Jay2K: Super! Thanks guys! I wont be buying from decathlon because I think its over-rated chav material but thanks anyway! haha.
 OwenF 12 Dec 2011
In reply to Jay2K:

Overated chav material.....maybe so. However when you look at their stretchy softshell trousers with internal gaiters and strengthened crampon patches...a steal at £40 compared with, say Mammut base jump @ £100 (?).

I'll be a chav thanks. Actually I think they are pretty cool looking, what does that say about me?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...