UKC

Beal Unicore ropes - worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Lass 14 Dec 2011
Hello

I have one Beal Unicore Wallmaster rope and am very happy with it. Bought it because I've pretty much always used Beal and it seems very nice. I note the Westway is using them for its (very intensive) top rope use.

You can find the info and rather engaging videos of it in action here:

http://bealplanet.com/sport/anglais/unicore.php

I'm considering buying another, but have realised its about 40% more expensive than many other ropes. I have a couple of friends who have had similar thoughts. I use it fairly intensivly for the wall and toproping outside.

Can the hivemind help please? - is it worth it? Are the cheaper ones just as good really?

peace
ml
 jkarran 14 Dec 2011
In reply to Mountain Lass:

Ropes are consumable. Most of the damage I do to ropes is rubbing, a result of my carelessness and something the fancy unicore rope will generally suffer no better than a cheap one. Personally I buy cheap rope in roughly the right size/spec' for the job, that way I don't feel so bad when I trash it.

jk
 JoshOvki 14 Dec 2011

Would be great for working in industry, but for personal climbing I will pass.
 creag 14 Dec 2011
In reply to JoshOvki:
I had a wallmaster for use at the wall. The Sheath wore at the same rate as my normal rope and I did notice that the higher impact force made it a bit more uncomfortable when falling (my mate Gail who is 7 stone hurt her back due to this). It's also a bit heavier...
OP Mountain Lass 14 Dec 2011

Thanks all - the impact force point is especially duely noted as you are, of course, right and I hadn't thought about it. Interesting to hear about the wear also, Ta.

ml

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...