UKC

Looking for (free) aspiring ML to guide me around Crib Goch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 browndog33 14 Dec 2011
Hi, does any aspiring ML's want to guide a newbie around the Crib Goch in winter conditions for FREE? I work for myself so am quite flexible date wise but I'd love to go over the xmas hols (i.e sometime between 26/12/11- 04/01/12) I'm relatively well kitted out clothing wise(decent softshell,hardshell,several pairs of gloves etc) but am thinking of hiring boots etc from PYB if possible/required.

Ps.. the worse the conditions the better!!

Please txt 07929 453 615,
Thanks, Mark
 kilner 14 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: you better off with a winter ML or MIC as crib goch in winter is way out of remit for an ML.

Andy Mountains 14 Dec 2011
In reply to kilner:

Or forget about the paper quals & go with someone who has experience
 kilner 14 Dec 2011
In reply to Andy Mountains:
> (In reply to kilner)
>
> Or forget about the paper quals & go with someone who has experience

and learn some bad habits

There’s nothing wrong with going out with an experienced winter walker/climber but if you went out with an aspirant instructor you would POSSIBLY get a more informed day as they should be instructing you in current best practices and should have the skills to convey those skills to you.
 Andy Mountains 14 Dec 2011
In reply to kilner:

I'm just feeling argumentative.
 timjones 14 Dec 2011
In reply to kilner:
> (In reply to Andy Mountains)
> [...]
>
> and learn some bad habits
>
> There’s nothing wrong with going out with an experienced winter walker/climber but if you went out with an aspirant instructor you would POSSIBLY get a more informed day as they should be instructing you in current best practices and should have the skills to convey those skills to you.

We're talking about Crib Goch NOT the North Face of The Eiger
Bimbler 14 Dec 2011
In reply to timjones:
But both equally catastrophic if you fall off!

A bit cheeky asking for a qualified person to take them out, but I suppose you don't get if you don't ask so well done on that.

Hopefully someone qualified or otherwise will take him under their wing.

kilner 14 Dec 2011
In reply to Bimbler:
The OP wasn't asking for someone qualified but an aspiring instructor, which is really usefull as oppertunities for real experiance leading people can be hard to come by, so it should be benificial to both parties.
 timjones 14 Dec 2011
In reply to Bimbler:

> A bit cheeky asking for a qualified person to take them out, but I suppose you don't get if you don't ask so well done on that.
>

I guess it's only cheeky if you assume that everyone takes quals in order to charge others for days in the hills. There are plenty of people who do the same thing as volunteers.

Maybe the cheeky one's are those charge people to share a day in the hills with them
 Darkskys 14 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: I'm not ML qualified or have any outdoors qualifications but I'll show you over Crib Goch or the horse-shoe in any condition. Drop me a message if you're interested
Bimbler 14 Dec 2011
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to Bimbler)
>
> Maybe the cheeky one's are those charge people to share a day in the hills with them

Haha, maybe... That's a whole different kettle of fish, maybe best leave that one. Bloody mountain pimps!

climber_medic 14 Dec 2011
In reply to Andy Mountains: I'm with you on this one Andy. Takes the fun out of it going with an instructor and we all have to start somewhere>
OP browndog33 15 Dec 2011
In reply to Darkskys: Cheers for the offer.
M.
 JdotP 15 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33:

Troll.
In reply to JdotP: You what mate?
 climber_medic 15 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: I wouldn't worry mate. I can't see how your request makes you a troll!! One thing you have to learn on this site is there are a few strange types about. If you want a day out on the hill then contact Andy and i'll pop up aswell for the day if i'm about.
In reply to climber_medic: Thanks CM, I've been around this site for a good few years now but have never been called a troll for asking a straight question! lol. It'll be good to meet you too CM if your about when I meet Andy.
Cheers, Mark.
 climber_medic 15 Dec 2011
In reply to browndog33: Yes then you will know that the site attracts a few very interesting characters then!!!

I've been out with Andy a few times so if i'm about get him to give me a shout and i'll be more than happy to tag along for the day.
In reply to climber_medic: Will do CM
M.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...