UKC

Looking for climbing partner - Dundee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamesLamont 14 Dec 2011
So I've recently moved back to Dundee and am looking for a partner to get some climbing on the go.

I'm not a very experienced climber it must be said, most of experience being hillwalking (summer/winter). I have done some stuff on the Aberdeen sea cliffs and indoor at A-Vertical world last time I lived in the Dee!

Really looking to move to outdoor climbing sooner rather than later (or do some easy gullys during Winter)

Anyway, drop me a line if you want to arrange something
 TheseKnivesMan 16 Dec 2011
In reply to jamesofdeath:

One of my best mates has just moved to Dundee and is in a similar predicament. If you'd like I could pass on this post to him (he's not a UKC user)
 SonyaD 16 Dec 2011
In reply to jamesofdeath: Are you on facebook? If so, then message me through the site with your facebook details. There is a Dundee climbers facebook page with a group of keen climbers, you'll definitely find folk to climb with if you get logged on there.
foubiejoobs 02 Jan 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc: Hi there, I'm in a similar situation. I've had a wee look on Facebook and can't find the page. Could you give me the details? Thank you for now.
foubiejoobs 02 Jan 2012
No there, I'm also looking for climbers in Dundee. I've done no outdoor climbing so far and have just registered with Avertical World. Are you registered there? I've just started again after 3 years and really want to get going with it again properly.
 Nevis_Ben 02 Jan 2012

I'd be up for doing some outdoor stuff. I'd be keen to try and get up to winter corrie up glen clova sometime soon if conditions are right . Not much of an indoor climber tbh but done a reasonable amount of rock multi pitch up to vs as lead and up to IV on ice although I've probably suffered a bit of skill fade due to not being able to climb regularly for past two years.

Have all rock/ice gear required and even spare set of axes if needed.

Let me know what you think.
 Nevis_Ben 02 Jan 2012

In fact, looking at my diary, I think I might have a free,day on Wednesday 25th Jan to head up clova for climbing/winter walking if anyone fancies it?
 Gately169 03 Jan 2012

alright how you doing? There's two of us that go to AVW every week/second week you can tag along if you want? Be good for a third person to come along then we'll get longer breaks ha ha. We also hit Legaston and kirri hill in the sunshine months to.

Anyone else wants to give me a shout feel free

In reply to Nevis_Ben:

I'd be up for clova climbing If your needing an extra hand, just bought a pair of DMM VIPERS off my Christmas bonus money from work, I've only ever done A gully in coire fee and spent a day in the freezer at the ice factor for practise
 SonyaD 03 Jan 2012
In reply to foubiejoobs: Sorry, only just noticed this, have mailed you the details.
 Nevis_Ben 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Gately169:

Defo up for heading out. As previously mentioned I'm heading out in a few weeks on a wednesday. This is due to having a week off work. If you can't come along midweek then I'll try and re jig for the preceding sunday but it might be difficult.

I think that the recent warm spell will have left next to nothing to do in winter corrie just now but hopefully stuff might develop in the next few weeks. Either way, I'll be heading up there and may just do some winter walking around the area if you fancy?

Invite extends of course to OP (and anyone else) whose thread I've sort of hijacked!...
 crustypunkuk 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Nevis_Ben:
Hi all.
I live in Fife, and work in Dundee and am also looking for occasional/regular partners to climb and or walk/scramble with around the area. Usually have a couple of days off during the week, but noone to play with! I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with one/some/all of the posters on here. I'd be happy to hear from any of you if you find yourself at a loose end.
Thanks,
Gordon
 Mel Turnbull 04 Jan 2012
Hi do we have any local crags near Barry as i will be working up there july .
 Gately169 04 Jan 2012

I'll be going to AVW on Monday the 9th of jan if u fancy it?

Open invite to anyone else as well.

In reply to Nevis_Ben:

I'm afraid I can only do weekends as my holidays are all used up for the year, when will you be in the area as I'm away skiing in France for a week the 14th to the 21st of January 😃

I was up at the clova hotel on the 2nd of jan for my girlfriends mums birthday and there was a good few inches of the white stuff so fingers crossed.

In reply to Mel Turnbull:

Yes there are a few. Legaston would be your nearest. We're there a few times a wk in the summer, my climbing friend lives in Carnoustie so could easily car share, there's AVW in Dundee also.
foubiejoobs 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Gately169: Hiya, yeah I will be down on Monday night, what time will you be there from? It will be great to get some climbing done. I'm very rusty btw!!! :-/
 Gately169 04 Jan 2012
In reply to foubiejoobs:

Is that the excuse's started already lol, I'll go call my friend see what time we're heading along at, it'll be around 6:30 ish. I'll post later when I find out. You'll need to update your profile, went for a look there and it's blank.
 Nevis_Ben 04 Jan 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Gordon,

Shall we provisionally set up to get a trip done in clova? I get back from working down south on 21st so that whole weekend is out. I'm looking to get up to clova on wed 25th Jan. Email me if you want and we'll sort something out.

Nevis_Ben 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Gately169:

I'm back from my work the weekend you get back from skiing and looking to head out the following wednesday. I'll be back again weekend of 11th Feb so could arrange some activity for that weekend? Depends what wife says If nothings in at clova would be up for a trip to lochnagar maybe?

email me and we'll get something sorted maybe.

That aside when the weather warms up I'll be looking to get back on the rock so would be interested in the quarries, Dunkeld and Aberdour sea cliffs, with the occasional mountain mega route.

Choppedlogic 04 Jan 2012
Hi, new to forum and new Arbroath area. Would love to get out and about in the local area, unfortunately i have only a little expierance in climbing so far and i am always up for hillwalking and (being a marine) i am a total workhorse so enjoy all the 'man phis' i can get! So if there room for another feel free to drop a mail.
 Nevis_Ben 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Choppedlogic:

I'm in the RAF currently, we'll get on like a house on fire! lol Can you make 25th Jan?
Choppedlogic 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Nevis_Ben: Well im in for a massive shake up when i get back the 9th of Jan, so no idea whats lined up so far. Also got a 'mountain' packaged starting sometime. But closer to the time i can let you know certainly.
foubiejoobs 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Gately169:
Lol, yes excuses have started already! while I'm at it, I broke my hand last year....so I'm going to be properly shite!!! ha ha. Na, I will be fine, I'm just delighted that I will get to do some climbing again. Okay, 6.30ish will be fine with me, I will keep a look out for your later post to confirm the time.
Oh and just joined this site the other day, so have nothing on my profile yet.
 Gately169 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Nevis_Ben:

11th is valentines weekend, I'll check with the missus and get back to you on that one.

Lochnagar would be fantastic, eagle ridge is on my ticklist although not sure about it in February I'll b up for summer stuff to
 Gately169 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Choppedlogic: there's three of us heading along to AVW this Monday the 9th. A marine from Arbroath eh, many fights were you in this weekend with the local fisherman ha ha, sorry just a total stereo type
 Gately169 04 Jan 2012
In reply to foubiejoobs:

Aye, we'll say 6:30/7 I don't get in from work till 5:45/6 depending on traffic, I work in fife so if the bridge is closed I won't make it. I'll bring the rope if u fancy doing some lead stuff as well.
Choppedlogic 04 Jan 2012
In reply to Gately169:
> (In reply to Choppedlogic) there's three of us heading along to AVW this Monday the 9th. A marine from Arbroath eh, many fights were you in this weekend with the local fisherman ha ha, sorry just a total stereo type

ha, only just moved upto camp from training so not had time to upset all the locals yet . ill have to see for that monday as first day back on camp is going to be chaos!
 Gately169 07 Jan 2012
In reply to Nevis_Ben: Can't manage the 11th as we're goin away for valentines that weekend 25th and 3rd march am free, if they'll b much snow left that is
foubiejoobs 08 Jan 2012
In reply to Gately169: Hiya, I think doing some lead climbing may be a little ambitious for me at this stage. I've done a little before but not in a long while. Right, see you down there about 6.30-7. How will I know you from everyone else?
foubiejoobs 09 Jan 2012
In reply to Gately169: Hi there. I was down at the wall tonight for 7 pm. I asked around and waited around but didn't know who I was looking for and the people I asked didn't have a clue! I waited for about 35 mins and then left.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...