UKC

Recommend a winter pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 23 Dec 2011
I'm not especially happy with my Berghaus Crag 45+10 pack. Seemed like a great buy at the time. I am using it for this week Cairngorms trip, but after that I think I'll be changing to another pack and keeping the crag pack for hauling climbing gear and maybe odd suymmer camping trips.

I'd like a 70 litre pack, possibly 65 if there are plenty of external lashing points on it.

It must have ice axe and trekking pole storage, loops to take my tent on the outside of the pack, and ideally some sort of bungee storage for waterproofs on the outside as well. I'd also like pockets on it! It must be comfortable and waterproof.

I don't want a pack that is a jack of all trades but master of none (like my Berghaus Crag seems to be!). For example, the lid is removable on my crag bag and can be used as a bum bag, but that has resulted in loads of straps that flap around/get in the way a lot!

Also I am NOT wanting another Berghaus bag as I am not happy with the quality.

Any recommendations? I don't have a budget, I'll pay whatever for tyhe right bag that will last me a lifetime...
 The New NickB 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

70l and you want to put a tent on the outside, what the hell are you carrying?

nickcj 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

Have a look at POD or Crux.

THe Black Ice is a very popular all round winter sack.
OP martinph78 23 Dec 2011
In reply to The New NickB:

65 litre would be fine with the tent outside. I like the tent on the outside because I don't like packing a wet tent inside my pack, and lets face it, in the UK the tent is nearly always wet when packing it away!

For teh same reasons I like my crampons on te outside as well.

I liek a weatherproof pack with everything inside dry, and plenty of space on teh ouside for wet gear, or a large, seperate pocket for wet gear perhaps.
In reply to nickcj: I like the look of the Crux 70, will have to take a closer look at one, thanks.

Hadn't heard of POD or CRUX so cheers.

Forgot to say, I'm not carrying a LOT of kit, the minimum, but down bags, jackets, winter gloves etc are all pretty bulky and I'd rather have a larger pack than needed as I find it easier to pack on cold tired mornings!
 Darkskys 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978: I've got the POD Black Ice, I can't recommend it enough. I've used it for backpacking, climbing, winter use and alpine.

Great all rounder, it has extrenal bunjee straps on the front usually for crampons and hardwear but I've put the odd jacket in there whilst climbing and attached it via a snapgate just incase it comes loose.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/packs/rucksacks/pod-black-ice/1519.htm...
 mlmatt 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

sounds alot like you want a jack of all trades bag to be honest. Something that'll carry 70l worth of gear and then stuff strapped to the outside but still able to climb with?
 mgg 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

I run a 97' Karrimor apliniste 45 and macpac ascent 65+ both are good.

if i needed to replace them now it would be POD Black ice - or if you want something to last long Aguille Alpine, made in the lakes.
In reply to mlmatt: Don't need anything I can climb with really, the Berghaus is pretty good for that. Something for winter walking/camping. Maybe the odd scramble. If I am climbing I'll set-up a basecamp and head from there. Of course if there are two of us climbing we can share the load and take two smaller bags (my current 45l crag pack for example).

In reply to mgg: Like the look of the ascent. My macpac gemini was bomproof and travelled to the himalayas and andes with me. Kind of wish I hadn't sold it now, although it wasn't the sort of pack I'm looking for.

The prices for teh Macpac are pretty good as well. I shall definiately take a look at one, as I say, I love the macpac build quality and comfort of my previous pack.

Cheers, Martin
 radson 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

I know everyone likes to endorse the gear they have purchased, an ego thing and sort of re-justifys the purchase but cilogear gets a lot of great reviews. They are incredibly flexible.

http://www.cilogear.com/60lws.html

Me and my pack

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radson/6550781609/in/set-72157627962672963
In reply to radson: Not me, I hate my Berghaus pack and wouldn't recommend it to anyone lol.

Thanks for the recommendation, some names I haven't heard of.

Cheers, martin
ice.solo 23 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

mountain hardwear south col. 70L.

most winter friendly pack ive yet to find. huge, light, strippable, glove friendly, big dyneema crampon/tool pocket, well designed for heavy loads.

ive been using one the last 4 trips, a mix of slogging 25kg loads and quick climbs up gullies fully stripped. no real issues.
OP martinph78 24 Dec 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Thanks, REALLY like the look of that pack, and Cotswold have it for £120 which seems a "bargain". Will definiately be taking a look!

Right, I should be loading the van and heading North not sat here looking at new packs lol.
ice.solo 24 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

jeezuz! at that price get it. even if you just make a bit on it selling it on here
 Guv 24 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

Good luck in you hunt. I would recomemmned an Osprey pack.
I have a dueter but I think it was made for climbing in Afghanistan!!! It is serioulsy bomdproof the Guide 35+ but to be honest tooo heavy. I do use it becuase it is awesome and no holes even with crampons on the outside and an very full lenght side zip. The is vey well built.
However, given how much you want to carry I'd look at the Variant 52l

Good luck and Merry xmas everyone!!!!
almost sane 24 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:
It is worth looking around the various outlet shops.

That way you don't need a pack that can do everything, nor do you need a pack that can last a lifetime.

I got a 80l Go-Lite Odyssee for £30 a few years ago at Leckies in Falkirk.
At that price I don't mind that the pack can't do everything - it would be rubbish to climb in. I don't mind that the fabric has a poor abrasion resistance - gaffer tape patch needed after carrying a sharp new ice axe in the ice axe loop. It is light and it is capacious and has proven to be an ideal pack for long duration walks.
OP martinph78 29 Dec 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

Just to say I am now the proud owner of a Mountain Hardware South Col

Looked at the POD and Macpac and the Macpac was a close contender (sorry, wasn't so keen on the pod myself but see why it's a favourite). Before I got to take my kit back to load the macpac I found the South Col for £120. It fits perfectly and is that combination of simple (to look at) but functional when you start to find all of the features.

Yet to try it out in the hills but hoefully it proves worthy of my money. I haven't added anything or cut anything off yet, so that's a good start

Thanks for the help all, it helped to read some specs before I got to the shops with my shortlist.
ice.solo 30 Dec 2011
In reply to Martin1978:

Woo hoo. South col brother.

Just put mine thru 5 days of lugging, climbing and public transport and its all smiles.
Hope it serves you as well as mine serves me.
OP martinph78 30 Dec 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Just gotta book another week off work...one with some DECENT winter weather this time! lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...