UKC

Madeira sport climbing / bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockcat 04 Jan 2012
I'm off to Madeira soon principally on a hiking trip but wouldn't mind getting some sport climbing or bouldering in. Having had a look at previous posts on UKC from 2006/07 on this subject it appears that the island consists mostly of chossy rock but surely on a volcanic island of this size there has to be some climbing? Does anyone know of anything having been developed more recently?
In reply to rockcat: Theres some half decent rock on the road from Serra de Agua to Porto Moniz http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/55986274.jpg The bit to the left of that waterfall (which is about 150 metres from the road) is exceptionally solid and about 50 metres high but that was the best looking bit of rock for climbing i saw on the trip with the exception of some possible bouldering at Porto Moniz. It is a stunning island and you can drive round most of it in a day or so.
OP rockcat 05 Jan 2012
In reply to jonathan shepherd: Thanks for that. There is some sport climbing as I found the clip below. The outdoor wall featured in the clip is under the runway at Funchal airport! Its at the Parque Desportivo de Agua de Pena.

youtube.com/watch?v=HrOeLSoyyo4&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...