UKC

micro chip cat flaps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 05 Jan 2012
Wondering if anyone has experience of these micro chip cat flaps that you can get?

We have a stray cat that comes into our house through the cat flap and I must admit to being far too soft and letting it come in as the weather has been horrible and I felt sorry for it Wouldn't have been an issue but my other cat has taken a sudden dislike to it and feels threatened by it, so much so that she won't poop in the litter tray because it's next to the cat flap and I think she's scared.

I don't want to get a magnetic cat flap as I don't want her picking up magnetic things on her collar (and she also wears a flea collar anyway.) So was googling and read about these micro chip ones. I assume you have to take your cat to the vet and get a special micro chip put in and then you program the number into the cat flap? They are pretty pricey and I don't want to fork out unless it's effective.
 pog100 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
We got one a year ago after getting really fed up of feeding the local Ginger Tom more than our own two cats, who did a terrible job of defending territory. It has been great. Worked perfectly from the off. You do need to get the cats chipped, it takes 30seconds, the cat didn't even notice, but cost about £30 each. The flap fitted the preexisting hole in the door and was really simple to program. There seem to be two competing makes, read the reviews.
Easily saved the price in lower food bills and the chips also work as ID for the cats. Mail me if you want more info.
Mike
 Little Brew 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc: we have an abundance of random moggies around my house hence why my Moggie has a Magnetic Mouse (yes it is really, it has ears, whiskers and everything) on her collar, about 1cm diameter. she doesn't pick up any magnetics outside any more (neighbour has got rid of the rust bucket car!) and even when she did it was the odd little screw/bit, they are not that strong that she will be trying to drag a full sized Ford Focus through the flap!!!

i did look at the chip and decided to try the magnet first and see if that did the trick, it did so i stuck with it. only thing we have to keep an eye on is making sure the bell is separate to the magnet or the local bird population would drop!!!
 wilkie14c 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
We have magnetic too, staywell I think without going in the kitchen! No probs with ours either. We have 2 cats and have a spare magnetic ball ready for when they shed a collar which they don't seem to do anymore. There was a thing round here where it was 'trendy' for school kids to mug a cat of its collar and wear it like a braclet, must have been like the VW badge thing eh. We got every nail washer and screw from everyones garden for a few weeks first which to be honest saves punctures in the car and bikes. We honestly thought we had burglars one night, clanging and banging in the early hours of the morning - I went down armed with a DMM fly hammer* and found Topaz in kitchen with a empty soup can stuck to her!

* Climbing gear is stored in spare room next to ours which was handy but what would I have done if faced with an intruder? It was more for effect than anything else, had the burglar reconised it as a winter climbing tool he'd have thought I were a right 'ard barsteward and done one
 yer maw 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc: How much are these chip/flaps?? I've used the magnetic flaps with the big magnet you attach to the collar but the cats kept losing their collars so have a normal flap now but looking to replace it as it's seen better days.

I was told a story recently about a young woman who fitted a cat flpa to every door in the house, which begs all sorts of questions!

Remember stray cats are usually someone elses' cat looking for some mug to give them more food.
 LastBoyScout 05 Jan 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:

Have a microchip cat flap, can't remember make but could check, and it's brilliant - especially as Cola kept won't wear a collar and when she had it on the magnet thing just kept sticking to the kitchen chairs!

Was only about £60 - ordered online.

Best thing is that only cats with programmed chips can come in, so she has a place to go if she's chased and no other cat can steal her food - ours will do up to 32 cats!!!
 David Barlow 05 Jan 2012
I have a Sureflap one, which works great.
OP SonyaD 05 Jan 2012
In reply to yer maw: Seem to range between £70-£80 (not seen one at £60) and then of course it will cost about £20 to get moggins chipped if they aren't already. My two cats aren't chipped so I'm looking at just over £100. Really don't want a magnetic one as about 90% of folk that I hear about have things stick to their cats collar or the collar/magnet goes missing or the doors themselves aren't strong enough to keep eager cats out.

Yeah, dunno if this one is a stray or not, he/she is in good condition (nice fur, well fed etc) but just looks like a feral cat in its markings. It's fairly friendly though so I doubt it is a feral, like you say just me being a mug and letting it in before now, too soft!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...