UKC

Best camera for filming climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ht3 09 Jan 2012
I am hoping to make some short climbing films this year and was wondering what camera people recommend for filming climbing. I have been looking at various options and quite a few people have recommended GoPro Hero 2, but I'm not sure. I don't really want to spend more than £400.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Harry
 Tall Josh 09 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge: Are you looking for something you can stick to your helmet, mountain bike, take under water etc? If not, why not get a second hand SLR, then you can take stills as well as HD quality video footage.
OP ht3 09 Jan 2012
In reply to Tall Josh: I'm not looking for something that I can attach to a helmet or anything like that. Is there any particular SLR you would recommend?
 Tall Josh 09 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge: I'm actually in a similar situation to you at the moment. I'm looking at the Nikon D3100 but to be honest I am only going on Amazon reviews! There are much more qualified people on here to give advise which I will be interested to hear myself.
 mikehike 09 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge:

Canon S95?
 ChrisJD 09 Jan 2012
In reply to mikehike:

S95 for video?:

The S95 is 720p video (24fps), the S100 is 1080p (24 fps), 720p (30fps).

The Sony DSCHX9 is 1080p (60 fps)
mgco3 10 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge: Best camera for climbing is one that you don't have to use both hands for !!!
 mike71 10 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge: Here's a short bouldering edit I made the other day with Sony nex-5 and gopro hero 2.
It was my first outing with the gopro, Had it mounted on a £6 painting pole,quite liked the results and I'm a total novice film maker.

vimeo.com/34721781
 Jonay 10 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge:

If you're still looking for a video helmet mount-able camera - then my Mrs's dad has one of these for his motorbike - yes its a bit bigger than the likes of the GoPro and other bullet cams out there but it sits flat on the head (rather than tall like the GoPro) and its a lot cheaper too!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drift+hd170&um=1&hl=en&safe=of...
fisherjade 11 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge: we've made a few films using our SONY HDR-CX160 which wasn't to expensive and does a good job.
blakeberry 23 Jan 2012
In reply to mike71: Impressive video! The in car footage must have been particularly awkward with the painting pole!
 mackay780 23 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge: personally i'm going for the GoPro hero 2.

i've got a two week climbing exped in mind around north scotland this year finishing off with the old man of hoy, i'd like to be able to capture it
 IMA 23 Jan 2012
In reply to harrytonge: Those after a head cam, also check out the Contour range, been using one this week skiing, fantastic piece of kit http://contour.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...