UKC

Flab as a training aid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nik king 09 Jan 2012
I've decided not to try and loose the extra half a stone I have gained over Christmas straight away. Instead, I'm going to use it to increase my upper body strength by climbing lots of super steep indoor walls whilst still a fatso. Mad or inspired?
 ledifer 09 Jan 2012

In reply to nik king:

You sir, are a genius.
I am seriously taking on this excuse for all the added "training weight" I'm hauling up the wall
 Roberttaylor 09 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king: Isn't that what John Dunne did?
 WJV0912 09 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king:

Lose the fat & use a weight vest
In reply to nik king:

I have tried this technique, unsucessfully, for many a year now!
OP nik king 09 Jan 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor:
There is a problem at Earl crag called the John Dunne slap and I've always wondered whether the route is so named because he put it up or because of the belly on the crag that gets in the way.
 Michael Hood 09 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king: You're not going to get much effect from half a stone. I've spent 2 years ensuring that I have (at least) an extra 2 stones to train with

I'm sure that as I slowly discard them during this year's training, the extra power I will have gained will help me no end.
 alpinebisou 10 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king:
that is allegedly how malcolm smith trained for hubble. or at least one of the ways. sure he must have done a fair bit of climbing as well though.
Wonko The Sane 10 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king: This has inspired me! I'm going to eat 3 McDonald's a day for a year to help with my training
 UKB Shark 10 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king:
> I've decided not to try and loose the extra half a stone I have gained over Christmas straight away. Instead, I'm going to use it to increase my upper body strength by climbing lots of super steep indoor walls whilst still a fatso. Mad or inspired?

Unless you are demonstrably converting fat mass to muscle mass than it is a deluded cop out. Get lean. Wear a weight belt if you must.
 HappyTrundler 10 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king:

I've been doing that for years, trouble is I can't seem to shift that extra stone come the summer!..
 robw007 10 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king:

Ive been using the 'organic weight belt' approach for some years - works well if you can discard it before moving outdoors!
andic 10 Jan 2012
If you shed it quickly after a month of wearing it you will notice a jump in your grade, I did. what's more having consolidated the grade at "competition weight" you can begin to increase your mass to build the required strength for the next cycle and step change in grade Hoorah!!

jadias 10 Jan 2012
In reply to nik king:

If I can lose this belly timber I'll be climbing E10 by the end of the year. I'll also be shivering on winter belays. Dilemma!
 mart rich 10 Jan 2012
In reply to jadias:
> (In reply to nik king)
>
> If I can lose this belly timber I'll be climbing E10 by the end of the year. I'll also be shivering on winter belays. Dilemma!

Well there's the answer, keep it until the end of winter, then diet like mad and then climb like a god
 jadias 10 Jan 2012
In reply to mart rich:

If only I could justify it by climbing like s god in the winter too...
 MJ 10 Jan 2012
In reply to alpinebisou:

that is allegedly how malcolm smith trained for hubble

Alas not: -

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/What_Happened_to_the_Young_Ones_Malcolm_...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...