UKC

cleaning a tent entirely

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mackay780 16 Jan 2012
well basically i attemted to go climbing in the peaks just before xmas, and me and two buddys camped it out, (cause we are 'ard) and instead of the forecasted rain we got snow, and it stuck to everything spoiling our fun.

ended up doing an emergency retreat to the cars packing tents in the rain, on very muddy ground, (north lee's is'nt very dry)

and well i only just hung it out to dry this week, i kinda forgot about it and threw it into my boot where it stayed and never dried, so it now stinks to the high heavens!! is there any special additives i should use for water proofing? and other than a 30c wash with pre dissolved soap is that all i need to do??

many thanks
almost sane 17 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:

Official advice from the manufacturer
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/how_nikwax_works/equipment_care.php

If you do put your tent in a washing machine, the risk is the straps and attachment points could all get trapped between the drum and the door. A toploader is much the better type of washing machine.
If you decide you want to use a frontloader, it might be worth putting the tent in a duvet cover and knotting it closed to prevent bits getting ripped.
 marsbar 18 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780: I'd be tempted to wash it in the bath or shower and to put some antiseptic in it as well.
 goldmember 18 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780: sell on ebay, used but bit muddy :P
 Timmd 18 Jan 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to mackay780) I'd be tempted to wash it in the bath or shower and to put some antiseptic in it as well.

Ditto.
 Timmd 18 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:

If you clean it by hand in the bath, you'll be able to see the water change colour as the mud dissapears so you know when it's gone, and keep having a sniff of it to see if it still pongs and if you need to add more washing up liquid or anti septic or whatever you're using.

Also less risk of damage to your tent.

Tim
In reply to almost sane:

> A toploader is much the better type of washing machine.

For waterproof fabrics it might be a much worse washing machine. The water cannot pass through a waterproof fabric such as a tent flysheet, which is forced out through the gaps in the top-loading drum doors during the spin cycle.

I know this can be a problem from personal experience of sherdding a tent flysheet in just this way, many years ago...
 Simon Caldwell 19 Jan 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> I'd be tempted to wash it in the bath or shower and to put some antiseptic in it as well.

Be careful, I tried this once and the antiseptic I chose destroyed some of the waterproofing so the tent now leaks (and still whiffs a bit anyway).

Worth trying a small area first and see if anything nasty happens.
 marsbar 19 Jan 2012
In reply to Toreador: I use the blue stuff from boots, well diluted. I assumed he was going to re proof it afterwards.
 Timmd 19 Jan 2012
In reply to marsbar:

If i'm unsure I use washing up liquid or shampoo, thinking if they're okay for skin they won't do any harm. Often shampoo.

I'm possibly misguided.
OP mackay780 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Timmd: thank you for all the advice chaps!

i think in a front loader, wrapped inside a duvet cover sounds the best option, and i will be re-proofing afterwards lol
 martinph78 22 Jan 2012
Personally I wash mine with soap flakes in tha bath tub, then leave to soak in nikwax afterwards before hanging out to dry. Simple enough and no risk of damage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...