UKC

Scottish Winter trip with Public Transport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hans 19 Jan 2012
Hi all,

Just wondered what more experienced winter climbers than myself do regarding getting to Scotland and back without a car. Me and a mate are thinking of going up in Feb for a week. Would like to do stuff in the cairngorm area, definitely the Ben as well. Any other areas and advice (this'll be my third trip, my mates 1st) are much appreciated. Going from Yorkshire, Leeds area.

Rough costs also appreciated (usual student shoestring budget).

Thanks in advance!

Hans
 Cuthbert 19 Jan 2012
In reply to Hans:

Have a look at Traveline Scotland, a planning website. The main issue for you will be no bus service on the A86 between Newtonmore and Spean Bridge. You can hitch though. Other than that you should be fine although early starts might not be that easy.
 Leo Woodfelder 19 Jan 2012
In reply to Hans: yhm
 JLS 19 Jan 2012
In reply to Hans:

I don't think there would be an issue with travel from Wales as both Fort William and Aviemore are well served by bus and rail.

Getting about might be more of a hassle but I'm sure you'd manage to hitch about.

Ben Nevis is probalby the best venue for the car-less as you could be holed up in the bunkhouse or hostel right at it's foot and it's a fair bet there will be something do-able on the Ben in Feb.

Of course if you're going to wild camp the world is your oyster...
OP Hans 23 Jan 2012
In reply to Hans: Cheers for the replies, looking at car hire fwiw. Just hope something is in condition!

Hans
 remus Global Crag Moderator 23 Jan 2012
In reply to Hans: We met a couple of Danish blokes who were staying in the youth hostel on the way to the aviemore ski center. Apparently there's an early bus (around 6 in the morning) that takes you up to the ski center then the last bus back is at 5. Good alpine training, and I imagine you'll be fairly worked after a 6 oclock start!
 martin_ch 23 Jan 2012
In reply to Hans: Can confirm buses quite frequent fron Aviemore bunkhouse.Dont need to get up at 6 unless you want too.lol.Have a look at megabus! well cheap.
 Exile 23 Jan 2012
In reply to Hans:

In my youf we regularly hitched up and around and back, added to the adventure of the whole thing. We weren't working to any deadlies thoug, ie if we were a day late back for college nobody really minded (This from the Lakes.)
 Julie Black 24 Jan 2012
In reply to Exile:
Lochnagar is also a good option by bus. If get to Aberdeen (bus or train) take the Breamar bus which runs regularly from early morning until late evening (both ways). Ask the driver to drop you off at Crathie visitor centre. From there you can walk in to Lochnagar. About half way in there is a bothy if you want to stop over. Lochnagar is a pretty reliable venue.

OP Hans 27 Jan 2012
In reply to Julie Black: Cheers for the extra advice! Plans should shape up soon...
 Jamie B 27 Jan 2012
In reply to JLS:

> Ben Nevis is probalby the best venue for the car-less as you could be holed up in the bunkhouse or hostel right at it's foot...

Er.. the bunkhouse and hostel are on the wrong side of the mountain, literally miles from the North face approach!
 Harry Ellis 27 Jan 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: Ya lazy so and so Jamie! It's not ideal but Glen Nevis SYHA to the CIC hut is doable in an hour and a half. Not everyone gets a key to the top car park :p
There's also buses from Glen Nevis through to Nevis Range Gondola if you fancy a lazier day.
Glenmore is a better base for access admittedly. Cairngorm Lodge SYHA is well placed and its less of a walk to the pub at the Glenmore Lodge!

The lack of a direct link from FW to Aviemore is a shame, hitching is pretty good through that way though, and it can be done via Inverness (bus/train) but it takes half a day!

The sleeper could be a plan if you want to maximise time.
 chiz 27 Jan 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: ...and an easy walk up the path to the half-way lochain, and then round to the north face. Is it that much longer a walk in? I don't remember it being that bad.
Things seem different when you don't have a car.

Chiz
 chiz 27 Jan 2012
In reply to thegoatstroker: FW has always been my base of choice for car-less winter climbing. Easy access by coach or sleeper, banks, pubs, supermarket, gear shops, stuff to do on shitty days. Internet access and relatively easy to sort partners and get lifts or hitch, wide range of mountains within easy reach. If you stay in a bunkhouse you can usually sort lifts and partners.

I think a lot of people forget what its like not to have a car, and how distance morphs if you rely on buses or your legs. I'm heading up in two weeks for my first scottish winter trip with a car, and it will be great to be mobile and get to places I've never been to, and be able to travel with more than one rucksack, but it will change the nature of the trip. But I'll be stopping to give anyone a lift who wants one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...