UKC

naming new crag/routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mackay780 21 Jan 2012
hi all, have found a small sized crag which is neither listed on here or in the relevant guide books, so i think its a new find xD

so is there anywhere else i could look, and is there any sort of rules for naming the crag/routes?

other than the obvious, i wont be naming them after myself/friends etc

The Pylon King 21 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:

Theres a lot of little crags not listed on UKC but if the guidebook you have is current (within the last few years) then it could be new.
 The Pylon King 21 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:

It's usually good to name the crag after the nearest geographical feature (check an OS map) but call the routes whatever you fancy.
 Luke90 21 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:
If you post some indication of the approximate area where you've found this crag then people might be able to suggest local gurus or sources of information that you could consult.
 Bulls Crack 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:
> (In reply to mackay780)
>
> It's usually good to name the crag after the nearest geographical feature (check an OS map) but call the routes whatever you fancy.

Or break with tradition and give it a dynamic brand name like...like...Jupiter Synergy Crag
 Calder 21 Jan 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King)
> [...]
>
> Or break with tradition and give it a dynamic brand name like...like...Jupiter Synergy Crag

You could do that, or you could also give it a filthy dirty name, like... like... ...
 lanky and weak 21 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780: go for the parisellas nameing scheme and name the crag after the nearset cafe
Blobb 21 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:
So where is it? Maybe we could help.

Seriously though. I have a 2 crags less than 10 miles from my house that have not been climbed on. Both are unseen from the road. I'm just being greedy and ticking the lines off slowly. If your crag is unclimbed just do the routes and enjoy it.
 Ander 22 Jan 2012
In reply to Blobb: exactly
 Bulls Crack 22 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:

You could submit it to the BMC Crag naming committee (BCNC) who will allocate it an appropriate name out of the unclimbed crag register (UCR) and issue with some route-naming guidlines to be subsequently approved on application by the BCNC CN(sub)C
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Really that actually exists?

To the OP:

Name them what you like, people name routes after themselves all the time! Ever met someone called Kirkus? I know someone know named a couple of routes F*** off, S*** head ect. Told the current guide book writer, who subsequently told him to F*** off, so the route namer ended up naming the routes all sorts of different names, but the first letter of each name, reading down the page, spells....guess what?
 Fraser 22 Jan 2012
In reply to The Green Giant:

Personally, I think doing stuff like that's a bit puerile and quite unnecessary. It might raise a single, school-boy titter, then it's a wasted opportunity for giving a route a 'good' name, for whatever reason.

At some point, kids will be climbing these routes, so any FA naming a route should consider this likelihood. Whilst I'm definitely no prude, I think swearing in a route name (just for the sake of it, which ultimately, it always is), is pretty lame - it simply shows a lack of imagination.
 Bulls Crack 22 Jan 2012
In reply to The Green Giant:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> Really that actually exists?
>
> To the OP:
>
> Name them what you like, people name routes after themselves all the time! Ever met someone called Kirkus? I know someone know named a couple of routes F*** off, S*** head ect. Told the current guide book writer, who subsequently told him to F*** off, so the route namer ended up naming the routes all sorts of different names, but the first letter of each name, reading down the page, spells....guess what?

No of course it doesn't exist but given your example perhaps it should! Always found the vulgar route names so tedious.
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I think really, it was more a bit of banter between the FA and the guidebook writer more than anything. People not in the know would barely realise it. And I believe its changed now due to more routes added in between. I personally like inventive names, ones which make you wonder how the first accentionist felt on it. Or what was going on around them that day.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780:

Unless it is very small/a boulder, it should have a name, check out the 1/25,000 map or ask and local?

Chris
 The Pylon King 22 Jan 2012
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to The Green Giant)
>
> Personally, I think doing stuff like that's a bit puerile and quite unnecessary. It might raise a single, school-boy titter, then it's a wasted opportunity for giving a route a 'good' name, for whatever reason.
>
> At some point, kids will be climbing these routes, so any FA naming a route should consider this likelihood. Whilst I'm definitely no prude, I think swearing in a route name (just for the sake of it, which ultimately, it always is), is pretty lame - it simply shows a lack of imagination.

Yeah yeah yeah
 alan moore 22 Jan 2012
In reply to mackay780: I believe the last new crag to be discovered was called "Crag X", making your new crag "Crag Y".
Route names are tricky as 99% of routes are not worth wasting decent names on and might as well be named after yout friends.
A good idea is to do all the routes and not record them, only to own up at some later date when some poor fool claims them for him/herself. This method has been used to great effect all over the country and ensures that guidebooks are almost always wrong.
Hope this helps.
OP mackay780 22 Jan 2012
In reply to alan moore:

thank you for all the comments, you have all basically confirmed what i thought.

there is at least 7 clean routes at this place and the rest need cleaning.

my plan is to record all the routes as and when i climb them, and give them a name of some at least vauge meaning... i did attempt a solo of one route, looked about a S 4b, but it was too windy for me on my own to be playing around on... i think i'll call this one, "It was a windy day..."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...