UKC

Lakes Gills ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Haydock 29 Jan 2012
Anyone seen ice forming in any of the popular lakes gills in the current cold spell ? - probably a bit early but, fingers crossed
In reply to Jim Haydock:
Yes, about 5 days too early I would say. I was out in the E Lakes yesterday think some things were still semi-frozen from the frosty spell 2 weeks ago. So something may have survived on Great End, which will also be rather avalanche prone with the current snow pack. There was also a layer of surface hoar on the snowpack yesterday...

NMM
 elliptic 29 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Nothing at all in the lower level gills, its been freezing at night but nowehere near cold enough during the day. The Great End gullies have snow in them but the pitches looked bare yesterday.
 newhey 29 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Nope, just snow and water at the moment. Nowhere near cold enough.
 Wesley Orvis 29 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Not much of anything frozen except the high scoured aspects and summits, no waterfalls or tarns.
Removed User 29 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:
Not consistently cold enough for the gills to freeze. Windslab is starting to form, and is very unstable, due to the snow having fallen on unfrozen ground. The temperatures were below freezing on the tops all weekend.
 Simon Caldwell 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:
As has been said, all gills flowing (one or two signs of ice forming at the edges, but not many). Tarns unfrozen, apart from very shallow tarnlets, and also one or two in the valley bottoms.
Apparently there was a bit of ice on Helvellyn, but very rotten (ie got in the way rather than being climbable). Otherwise, only ice is on footpaths.

Walking conditions are brilliant though
 jas wood 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Toreador: helvellyn had some ice but as you say not usable (sunday) and routes were climable rather than in good nic. few days cold could prove interesting mind ! see what happens and reprts welcome as always.
 a crap climber 30 Jan 2012
In reply to Jim Haydock:

What does anyone think the prospects are for ice on Thursday? The optimist in me says Blea water might be worth a look, but I'm not sure whether to play it safe and go to one of the more obvious venues (maybe Brown Cove Crags, but I always seem to go there...)
In reply to a crap climber:
Keep checking this;
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/shap_latest_weather.html

I reckon there needs to be 5 nights decent frost (ideally clear skies) for there to be climbable ice at Blea Water. I would say that it'd be touch and go for thur... Unless it get's mega cold. Too much cloud around.

NMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...