UKC

Yosemite accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hudson 31 Jan 2012
Off to Yosemite later in the year and looking for advice for where to stay. We will be there for maybe 3-4 days, we're not climbing just a bit of walking and sightseeing. Dont mind a short drive daily to get to places if (as i suspect) that make the accommodation cheaper.
 Climber_Bill 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Camping is the cheapest accommodation option in Yosemite valley itself. However, you can't book for Camp 4 which can make it tricky if it is a busy time. Booking for the other sites, Upper, Middle and Lower Pines, needs to be done months ahead to be assured of a place.

Other places such as Crane Flats are easier to get into but are a bit of a drive from the valley itself.

Have a look on http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm which has some useful info.

Have fun.

Rich.
OP Andy Hudson 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Richard White:
Should have said i'm talking B & B /hotel/motel

John_Hat 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Andy Hudson:
> (In reply to Richard White)
> Should have said i'm talking B & B /hotel/motel

And you have a spare mortgage?
 Climber_Bill 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Within Yosemite Valley itself there is only the Ahwahnee hotel (have you won the lottery this year?) or Yosemite Lodge (Got your inheritance yet?). There are also the camping huts at Camp Curry (Good job required).

There is other non camping accommodation but it tends to be a bit further from the valley.

Basically, Yosemite is very popular with Americans and other nationalities, accommodation from camping upwards is limited meaning that it is all booked in advance and can be expensive.

We sampled the delights of the cocktail bar at the Ahwahnee hotel to celebrate after climbing The Nose and 2 cocktails were about £30.

Rich.
 Andes 31 Jan 2012
In reply to Andy Hudson:
Top tip is to stay on the east side of the park, it is much cheaper and it is quite a short drive (½ hour) to Tuolumne Meadows which has some of the nicest scenery and walking. A long drive to Yosemite valley itself though.

The wee town of Lee Vining has some reasonably priced motels and B&B's and there are really nice campsites just up the valley for $15 per site per night.

John
Russ Walling 01 Feb 2012
> (In reply to Andy Hudson)
> We sampled the delights of the cocktail bar at the Ahwahnee hotel to celebrate after climbing The Nose and 2 cocktails were about £30.

Bollocks! No way two cocktails are $45 unless you get a happy finish.

Enty 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Russ Walling:

Sierra was 9$ a pint (poxy american pint) in the Lodge - no happy finish all though there was potential - so cocktails could be 22$ at the hotel.

E
 Enty 01 Feb 2012
In reply to Andes:
> (In reply to Andy Hudson)
> Top tip is to stay on the east side of the park, it is much cheaper and it is quite a short drive (½ hour) to Tuolumne Meadows which has some of the nicest scenery and walking. A long drive to Yosemite valley itself though.
>
> The wee town of Lee Vining has some reasonably priced motels and B&B's and there are really nice campsites just up the valley for $15 per site per night.
>
> John

That's like saying stay in Burnley and go hike Pendle Hill instead of going to the Lakes

E

Climber_Bill 01 Feb 2012

> Bollocks! No way two cocktails are $45 unless you get a happy finish.

Ahh, sorry, could have been $30 not pounds. I Don't know what a "happy finish" is but I felt quite happy anyway. There certainly weren't any bollocks in the cocktails I'm sure I would have noticed those.

Rich.
Russ Walling 01 Feb 2012

For the details on a Happy Finish, I will defer to Mick Ryan and his vast knowledge of massage parlors.
 Climber_Bill 01 Feb 2012

Ahh the penny drops!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...