UKC

Best travel rucsac?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fast Eddie 20 Jun 2003
I'd appreciate any advice as to the best travel rucsac (the type where you can zip away the back harness etc). I'm a Macpac man with my other sacs- any thoughts?

Thanks
In reply to Fast Eddie:

Get a zip-up cover for your existing rucksack.

Or just fasten everything down, tuck straps away carefully, fold the hip belt back around the sack and fasten the buckle backwards. Has worked for me for years without complaints from airlines, or any damage.
 Dale Berry 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Fast Eddie: Mac Pac is the way forward if you can afford it.
jimtheape 20 Jun 2003
In reply to Fast Eddie:

they have some on rock run, big holdalls for putting ure rucksack in, i guess it may be less likley for some nimble fingered person to open it so easily aswell.
rich 22 Jun 2003
In reply to Fast Eddie: I've a Karrimor Global. Has an enormous capacity at 70 litres, and can also expand to 90 litres. The back system is fully adjustable and very comfortable, but to be honest I've never walked more than a mile or so with it.
The detachable daysack is a reasonable size, very versatile with shock-cords and pockets on the sides that can hold a one litre Sigg bottle (but will fall out when you try to leap across a cliff in Cornwall when you realise that you're not twenty anymore).
I think it may also have a lifetime guarantee.
The missus has a Karrimor Airport. I think it's 70L, but the back system is very basic; good detachable daysac, too. Main advantage is that it does have wheels and a handle, which may make you extremely smug as you effortlessly wheel it round an airport terminal, whilst your too-tight-to pay-for-a-trolley partner lugs a 90L sack on his back.
Hope that helps.
OP jon@cotswolds mcr 22 Jun 2003
In reply to Fast Eddie: macpac all the way baby!! lowe have a couple of nice ones but nah no one makes packs like macpac

jc
Smel 24 Jun 2003
In reply to Fast Eddie: Summit Sac by Pod. Expensive but should last forever. I also have a pack safe which I used for the first time this year. While my mate had to chuck her back pac in a different section of the plane because of the belt and straps not being secured down enough, mine was all nicely bundled up and I didn't have to fear someone delving into the pockets. Pack safes are about £40 and weigh a little less than a small bag of sugar and pack up just as small, but i never noticed the weight, especially since my back pack sits so soundly on my hips, I could carry a horse. You can also chain those babies up to anything, including the rooves of buses. I'd never ever travel without a pack safe again!

Otherwise you could try Swiss Army's new wheely back packs. They are revolutionary with wheels, + extra back pack you can take off. I've never seen anything like it. Think you can find them in the US but they look extortionatly priced.
 Ian Blackwell 24 Jun 2003
In reply to Fast Eddie: Eddie , If you are still looking and want to pick up a bargain I have a Lowe Alpine Systems Travel Kinnic Sac for sale.It has one large compartment, capacity 66l with a zip that goes all the way around the outside,with another compartment on the front again with a zip.There is a full Lowe Parallux harness that zips away with waistbelt ,shoulder strap and a grab handle.It is very robust and you can stuff allsorts into it.It is made of the very strong pack cloth that most rucsacs are made of.
I would be willing to let you have it for £60.00.
If you are interested reply to success@ianblackwell.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...