UKC

Gear which just does the job really well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Isn't it great when you have a piece of gear which is nice and simple but just does the job really well?

My Marmot Driclime jacket is a prime example. Bought about 5 years ago for only £40 and it is just about needing retirement now thanks to a huge rip in the sleeve meaning it lets the wind in.

I love it; it's warm, breathable and keeps the wind off (when not ripped). I have bought a softshell jacket since which cost more than double the amount and isn't nearly as breathable or windproof (but is warm when there's no wind), and I simply don't like it so much, so I find myself looking to buy another driclime to replace the one which is now shredded - I guess the only downside to it is that the outer material isn't robust enough for gritstone thrashes!

Okay, so that's a bit of a ramble, but what bits of gear do you have which don't shout and sing about having all the bells and whistles but just do the job, and do it well?
 Glyno 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

Buffalo Mitts
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Petzl Reverso 3. Mountain equipment randonne gloves - cheap comfortable and warm!
 stvredmond 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: My rope, bog standard but does the job really well
 Run_Ross_Run 04 Feb 2012

Montane Extreme Jacket or Smock.

Mammut Stratos vest.

Berghaus Arete.

Fredt 04 Feb 2012

Five Ten Guide Tennies.
Fig.8 Descendeur.
Ron Hills
 spearing05 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Rab alpine pull on - my most worn top ever, combined with a base layer and perhaps a micro fleece it handles virtually any UK mountain day. Needs a shell in heavy rain and a belay jacket if really chilly. If it is hot take it off and stuff it into a really small pocket. For everything in between which seems to account for 90% of my days out it works a treat.
 ERU 04 Feb 2012
I've heard tell 'The Ann Summers Rampant Rabbit Thruster Deluxe' does what it says on the tin!
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Rab Neutrino Plus. Even though the zip broke and has been glued back up it now makes a great pullover with good venting options.
 Ron Walker 04 Feb 2012

Buffalo Belay jacket
Mots d'Invers 04 Feb 2012

As soon as I saw your title, I thought "Driclime". Love the stuff!
 Stuart Wood 04 Feb 2012

Black Diamond Camalot.

Woody
 Ron Walker 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Byronius Maximus)
>
> Buffalo Mitts

They weigh 50 grams and also make an excellent winter cosy for Tesco's 500ml water bottles. Minus 9 the other day on Hells lum and my partners water froze, whereas my pre-warmed juice was still slightly warm at the end of the day!

Ron

Mots d'Invers 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to Glyno)
> [...]
>
> my partners water froze, whereas my pre-warmed juice was still slightly warm at the end of the day!

You sure he didn't just wee in your bottle in a fit of jealousy?
 Jamie Hageman 04 Feb 2012

RAB Summit Extreme tent - very quick and simple to pitch, bombproof shelter in any conditions.

Montane Prism jacket - Keeps you dry in showers, warm in a cold wind. Thin enough to wear comfortably under a shell if raining hard

Decathlon Simond softshell pants - £40 stretchy, tough material, reinforced ankles, internal gaiters, comfortable
 nniff 04 Feb 2012

Montane Featherlite smock. simple and it works, and it fits in the back pocket of a pair of jeans
 mrchewy 04 Feb 2012
In reply to nniff: Second that - most used and essential bit of kit I've got.
 jadias 04 Feb 2012

Marmot DriClime Windshirt
Black Diamond Mercury Mitts
Marmot Basic Work Gloves
Patagonia R1 Hoody
Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover
Patagonia Houdini Windshirt
Smartwool socks (all of them!)
 David Hooper 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: another vote for driclime -windproof,warm but not sweaty, lightweight,showeerproof - apparently they do one with a hood now. As I melted the sleeve of my old much loved one n the woodburner door, think I may treat myself.
 Hannes 04 Feb 2012
Nomics, oh wait...

I second camalots
 goldmember 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Hannes: icebreaker
 Gav Parker 04 Feb 2012
Mountain Equipment Microtherm Jacket....
 StuDoig 04 Feb 2012
Buffalo Big Face Shirt. Just fantastic, esp combined with the belay jacket though 8 days out of 10 I don't need the belay jacket.
My one gripe - the hood....

Dom Whillans 05 Feb 2012
hexes size 3 and 4. on 6mm cord. used on just about every route i've ever led. now have talismanic properties, too.
Mountain Equipment Citadel.

Heavy but super warm and idiot-proof synthetic insulation, as Kelly Cordes once said, so it sure suits me. It's the last of a lot of duvet jackets I have bought and sold to get one I like 100%*.

(*Almost. I don't like the driclime-style lined pockets. Your hands stick to them when they are wet.)
 Ramblin dave 05 Feb 2012
Definitely Buffalo mitts.

Also, thinsulate.
 Cameron94 05 Feb 2012

Berghaus arête
Petzl tikka xp2
Bridgdale socks
 Murd 05 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: click up belay device
 wilkie14c 05 Feb 2012
RAB Vapourise
Sliva compass
Jetboil
WC rocks
MT Warthog
FLY
G12s
Malt loaf
Mausman. 05 Feb 2012
Old quarks
Dachsteins
Camalots

All absolutley bombproof and very good at what they do.
 The New NickB 05 Feb 2012

Patagonia R1 Hoody - Expensive, but brilliant.

Extremities Thicky Gloves.
 jcharles 05 Feb 2012

My meindl burma walking boots, and petzl reverso. Never used them both at the same time though.
 thin bob 05 Feb 2012
icebreaker, socks, t-shirts, longsleeve tops...
reverso 2
trangia [the stove, not the person ;-P)

thin bob 05 Feb 2012
bit off topic, but a rohan mackintosh, jeans and Cityscape coat. Light, weatherproof, good pockets, understated.

And rab belay hoody.
and keela belay jackets: One with pitszips, hood and long enough to cover yer nether region. The other i'm wearing now, bomber jacket style. great collar velcro cuffs, soft microfleece chin & pocket linings.

Of the lot, i'm most impressed by the keela stuff. didn't expect it to be as good as it is..but it is!
 Col Kingshott 05 Feb 2012
Patagonia nano puff pullover.
Ortleib map cases.
La sportiva Nepal Evo gtx.
 subseasniper 05 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Montane Prism jacket, size 5 wallnut (is there any route where it doesn't fit?), Metolius Project fingerboard and Under Armour cold gear long sleeved top.
 Ireddek 05 Feb 2012

My top 5 fail proof/reliable items have to be my...

- Buffalo Mountain Shirt
- Buffalo Mittens
- Keen Venice Sandals
- Ikea "rope" bag
- Buff

Darkskys 05 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Rab Alpine pull on...amazing jacket, also just bought the alpine jacket. Both are amazing!

Rab VR trail lite
Exped sacks
ME kalanka
Alpkit mug with gas and stove inside...perfect for winter days
 sbc_10 05 Feb 2012

Previous post called it a buff. I remember the first incarnation of this by an old firm called "Survival-Aids" and they called it a "head-over".
It's basically and off cut from the thigh region of some stretchy poly-prop thermals, but it's a neck guard, face mask, hat, sweat band......I still have my original (nearly 30 years old now) and it still does the job. I would be mortally wounded if I lost it.
 augustus trout 06 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: DMM Boa, they just got it really right it can handle (just about) four clove hitches with a 10mm so it simplifies even the most awkward belay.
 iksander 06 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Arc Teryx x350a harness, patagonia mixmaster trousers and readymix jacket, berghaus smoulder II hoody, bynje "submissive" long sleeve top, DMM offsets, mammut phoenix ropes
 d_b 06 Feb 2012
In reply to StuDoig:

I just ignore the hood and use the big face with a powerstretch balaclava. An almost perfect combination for manky scottish conditions.
Removed User 06 Feb 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: Stop going on about buffalo mitts after I lost one of mine yesterday! Have a heart! BTW, if anyone found it at the foot of the Shelter Stone (rather unlikely)...
 Quiddity 06 Feb 2012

I think the original GriGri is a design classic. Revolutionary, become an industry standard, much imitated by other companies but with very little substantive improvement on the original design, only now (20 years later) has the design been updated - although arguably the original is still the better device for most applications (very skinny ropes excepted).

I think Petzl have a pretty good track record for gear which just works - the original spirit quickdraw design has been around for donkeys years and is still the gold standard for sport redpointing.

I have raved about arcteryx harnesses elsewhere.
 FH1920 06 Feb 2012
It has got to be the Buffalo big face shirt, preferably combined with the belay jacket. Best bit of kit I've ever bought (3 times in 30 years).
 kjw1991 07 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: My trekmates goretex windstopper gloves. Bought in TK Max for about a tenner. They have been used in a vaiety of situations and weather conditions and they are excellent. Much better than some more expensive gloves I have owned.

Also I have to mention Trangias(with gas burner). I wouldnt ever buy another brand of stove/
 The Lemming 07 Feb 2012

Does my LowAlpine tripple point ceramic guide jacket, which is now 17 years old fit this catagory?

Its now relegated to walking around the shops, taking the dog out and doing DIY but it is still completely breathable and waterproof. Zip is buggered though and needs a special way to fasten it.

Other than that my ATC XP is simple by design and stops my fat mate from decking.
 jonathandavey 07 Feb 2012

Lowe Alpine Triplepoint Trail Cap. Dirt cheap when I bought it about 6 or 7 years ago, still totally waterproof, windproof and breathable. Warm enough for Scottish winters and can take a beating too! Hardly ever head out without it.
 Run_Ross_Run 07 Feb 2012
In reply to Darren09:
>
> Montane Extreme Jacket or Smock.
>
> Mammut Stratos vest.
>
> Berghaus Arete.

Oh, and the montane flux.

Timmd 08 Feb 2012

Sprung stitch plate with two large holes, the heavier the person i'm belaying or the more friction is needed the more it locks up, and when the opposite appiles the less it locks up, I can easily control the friction with my live hand, and find it simple and safe and nice to use, because more friction is easy to apply.

Some people hate them but I like them.
 Robert Durran 08 Feb 2012

My Trangia - 26 years old and still going strong (though a bit dented)

My Slaters/Tisos synthetic duvet jacket - 30 years old, continuous use (though now relegated to a cragging/Ratho belay jacket) and the zip has been utterly reliable.

My Snowdon Mouldings Curver axe - 25 years old, used on many of my most memorable climbs, though now relegated to winter hill walking.
 GrahamD 08 Feb 2012

My Needlesports Pertex wind top which replaced a nearly as good North Cape windproof. Simple and perfect for climbing. Sadly neither of them made anymore.
 trivett 08 Feb 2012

Another vote for driclime jackets, I have the one with a hood, since I've had it I think it's been used pretty much every day I've been climbing, summer and winter.

Rab generator primaloft pull over: beautifully simple and just does the job.

Quencha (decathlon) softshell trousers; cheap, lots of features and material seems great.

Petzl reverso 3

Dmm prowires

Rab alpine lite bivi

Buffs

sam-brad 08 Feb 2012
Another vote for buffalo mitts
also DMM Flys
and Rab Generator pull on
all fantastic bits of kit that do there jobs perfectly!
benallan 08 Feb 2012

can't beleive no one has said Nalgene bottles yet.

for me : -

1litre Nalgene bottles
DMM Flys
Wild Country Rocks
POD rucksacks
anything from Rab
Ridgerest sleeping mat
PeteA 08 Feb 2012
I remember the first incarnation of this by an old firm called "Survival-Aids" and they called it a "head-over".

In reply to sbc_10: I still have mine from the mid 80s
 bouldery bits 08 Feb 2012

Buffalo Special 6
Patagucci R1
5.10 Galileo
Hilleberg Akto
Jetboil
Scarpa SL
Haglofs Rugged Mountain pant.

All fantastic items that just work.
 zebidee 09 Feb 2012

Karrimor used to do a pair of Polartec fleece lined bib-leggings which were awesome for biking in the winter. Lovely and warm and wicked away water.

I got my pair back in '97 - they're starting to get a bit worn now though
needvert 09 Feb 2012

My old 35lt macpac, used it most days for almost half my life. Simple design, bomber materials, great design, it's still waterproof. Oh, and a removable back pad to use as a sleeping mat.

Shame they don't make it anymore

Also, high power LEDs, 100000 hour lifespan, gradual failure (dimming), shock proof
 Trangia 09 Feb 2012

My Mamut bug belay device.

Simple non fussy design, small, light, easy to use and can double up as an abseil device.
 jonnie3430 09 Feb 2012

Can I recommend an easy way to fix your old jacket? Put some not very sticky electricians tape on the outside of the tear to hold the edges together and give a neat finish, then put a bead of seam sealant ( http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx ) on the inside up the edges, take the tape off after twelve hours and leave for another 12 to dry. The seam sealant is flexible and tough, I fixed a huge tear on my montane feather light this way.

Then buy a new jacket and you have one for grit and another for normal use!
 Tim Davies 09 Feb 2012

Nepal tops

Phil Payne 09 Feb 2012

Pretty much all of my berghaus gear just performs great. I have a paclite jacket and trousers that I always carry with me and a primaloft top that is just the best bit of kit I own.
 daveyw 09 Feb 2012
Rab Vapour Rise Jacket - 7 years and still going strong- essential
Sainsbury's Plastic Lunchbox & Bag for life
Banana Guard
Petzl e+lite
Icebreaker thermal vest

skarabrae 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: tri-cams
 Jordon Fleming 09 Feb 2012
gri gri 2
 Albert Tatlock 09 Feb 2012

MoAc original
In reply to jonnie3430:
>
> Can I recommend an easy way to fix your old jacket? Put some not very sticky electricians tape on the outside of the tear to hold the edges together and give a neat finish, then put a bead of seam sealant ( http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx ) on the inside up the edges, take the tape off after twelve hours and leave for another 12 to dry. The seam sealant is flexible and tough, I fixed a huge tear on my montane feather light this way.
>
> Then buy a new jacket and you have one for grit and another for normal use!

Brilliant, thanks for the tip! I have just replaced my ripped jacket with another driclime, but it is the older version and i don't quite like it as much, so might give this a try.
 Lew13 09 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Petzl Nomics.
 franksnb 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Darren09: "Berghaus Arete" is a sh$t bag, i know i've got one.
skarabrae 10 Feb 2012
In reply to franksnb:
> (In reply to Darren09) "Berghaus Arete" is a sh$t bag, i know i've got one.

i`ll second that!!
 cezza 10 Feb 2012

Kahtoola Microspikes - just the thing for an icy run
 greenroom 10 Feb 2012
In reply to skarabrae: What? No way! It's cheap and amazing. Used mine for two years hauling my rack and ropes around in Cumbria. Honestly what don't you like? Indestructible.

As to the original post, another vote for driclime. I've got four of these. My original two were also bought for £40 in 2002. I've absolutely hammered these, and they're bloody amazing. I used to wear these things every day at work and for biking, climbing, pub, street.... and the fabric is only just going now.

Another vote for the Petzl xp2 too.
 spragglerocks 10 Feb 2012

http://www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk/accessories/beanies/merinobeanies.html

Perfect for wearing under a cycle helmet or climbing helmet (I've got the lightweight one). They do other stuff too but can't vouch for that, but I love the beanie...
 SFM 10 Feb 2012

My old Karrimor KSB's from around 1990...still going strong!

(yet)another shout for Buffalo and Driclime

spork...what a simple and brilliant bit of kit
karrimat...warm, comfortable(sort of) and never goes wrong
candle lantern...gives off a warm light and takes the edge off a cold tent
Swiss army knife...what would we do with out them
Hexcentrics...most versatile piece of pro/weaponry ;O)
 jonnie3430 10 Feb 2012
In reply to SFM:
>

> spork...what a simple and brilliant bit of kit
>
But break to easily, so left with two options;

buy titanium one which is too expensive for a spoon

make your own with file

A cheap metal one would be great.
 Jamie Hageman 10 Feb 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to SFM)
> A cheap metal one would be great.

Your prayers have been answered - http://www.georgefisher.co.uk/cookware/pid19702/cid1516/sea-to-summit-light...
In reply to Byronius Maximus: have to agree with a few of these posts but i think the real winners are the ones we forget about because they are always there for me:

1. ATC learnt with it still use it have others but still always come back to it
2.Buff with polar tech fleece use it nearly everyday of my life forgot it one weekend a few months back nearly cried
3. Number 4&9 nut just get used so much
 elsewhere 10 Feb 2012
Pretty much any bit of climbing hardware is amazing - nicely engineered bits of metal and plastic that can support hundreds of kilograms or even a couple of tonnes.
 teakle 10 Feb 2012
All Montane clothing
Dmm alpine
msr stove
 SFM 10 Feb 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

What you been trying do....to open tins with it?

I've had mine for about 3 years and still looking sexy.

colina 10 Feb 2012
In reply to Byronius Maximus: my balaclava .the onew my mum knitted me when i was 6..still a bit itchy though
 jonnie3430 10 Feb 2012
In reply to SFM:

when you haven't been keeping an eye on the pasta and it has stuck to the bottom, stirring it then eats sporks!
 Run_Ross_Run 10 Feb 2012
In reply to franksnb:
> (In reply to Darren09) "Berghaus Arete" is a sh$t bag, i know i've got one.

So good i got a second one.

Each to his own tho.
 thin bob 10 Feb 2012
it sounds weird...but Orikaso plastic folding plates, bowls & cups.
I keep a set down the back on my most used rucksacks, daysacks & everything [and glovebox in the motor!].
Weighs almost nothing, actually work really well. Got 4 sets off fleabay chaep.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...