UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Hydrotherapy - Pembroke Deep Water Solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Feb 2012
Neil Gresham on the high second crux section of Hydrotherapy - 8a+ - Pembroke, 3 kbLast summer Neil Gresham added one of the UK's hardest deep water solo routes to the Hollow Caves Bay area of Pembroke in south west Wales with his ascent of the physical 'Hydrotherapy'.

Hydrotherapy (8a+) takes a steep line to the right of the still unrepeated trad route Underworld (E7) that was established by Ben Bransby and Ian Vickers.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=66502

loundsy 06 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Great film, great effort Neil, route looks awesome. Got me psyched to get back to Pembroke later this year.

Cheers,
Tim
 John2 06 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: Less is more. There's some superb footage in there, but the editing leaves much to be desired. What on earth was the point of all the sequences with a totally black screen? At a third of the length that would have been a brilliant film.
 ti.williams 06 Feb 2012
In reply to John2:

my thoughts exactly.
 colin8ll 06 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant film! It captured the atmosphere of the place along with the climbers personal journey better than any other climbing film I've seen. It's the peacefulness between the climbing that I can really relate to - reminds me a bit of the old surf film Momentum.
 dpc 06 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: Great Film....Really enjoyed the pace of it.
 franksnb 07 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: loved the edit/music, great film, very involving.

john2
you really can't think what a black screen might add? would you prefer 90 hardhouse and bouldering?(not that it doesn't have its place)
 progrupicola 07 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: Very good¡ the frozen shots switching body positions from climbing to falling are superb¡ Nice on Neil
 John2 07 Feb 2012
In reply to franksnb: No, I would prefer shots of the actual climbing. While I'm at it, I don't see what out of focus shots of cups of coffee and disjointed clips of the walk across the top of the crag achieve. Nor do I understand why it was necessary to repeat the name of the climb across the screen half way through.

You seem to understand what the black screen is for - please enlighten us.
 henwardian 07 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: I'd have to agree with John2 though I wouldn't sound as angry about it as he does

A little bit of bullet time footage is good and a couple of shots of the environs, some random closeups on the journey to the crag even work... but there is just too much of all of the above. When you have two attempts at one fairly short route, I'd be thinking more 5-10 mins rather than 20 mins for the video.

I didn't like the sountrack but that is personal preference thing so there is no sense making a deal out of it.
In reply to UKC News:

I agree with John2; some really great footage slightly spoiled by the irritating editing. So it's possible to run film backwards. Who knew?

jcm
Bimbler 08 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:
I'm sure it was a great film. Sadly I only got to a close up of a coffee being dunked backwards before I got bored. Maybe it was clever, maybe I'm to thick to get it... Will never know.
 GDes 08 Feb 2012
I can't believe somebody goes to the effort of filming and editing a climbing video, gets it on the internet for everybody to enjoy FOR FREE, and it gets utterly slated!! I'm sure contructive feedback would be appreciated, but give the guy some credit too. Without people like him who actually go to the effort to do these things, we'd all have to actually do some work.
 matt_lethargic 08 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: I thought this was a great film and not too long or too much non-climbing. What I don't understand is why so many people are bitching about it. IF you don't 'understand' or 'don't get' what the film was trying to portray then thats an issue for you the film watcher and not the film maker. If you want to see more climbing go to your local crag/climbing centre or even get out there and make your own film!

Well done Neil for the climb, getting the timing right to even start the route must have been hard enough. Well done Liam for a beautiful film.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 08 Feb 2012
In reply to matt_lethargic: Nice film, always nice to see all the effort that goes in to these projects.

I agree that it could do with compressing a bit though. To me quite a few of the sequences seemed to be unnecessarily long and didn't really help in getting the point across.
johnsavage 08 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: Great film, great climbing, well done Neil and team.
 John2 08 Feb 2012
In reply to GDes: I wasn't intending to slate the film maker - I said that there was some great footage there. I hope that he takes my original point that less is more. I must admit I was slightly irritated by the person who claimed that a completely black screen contributed to the film but is unable to tell us how it contibutes. I still think that a shorter version of theis film, including the interesting talk by Neil at St Petrox but omitting some of the more experimental aspects would be one of the best Pembroke climbing videos that I have seen, easily eclipsing the others posted on this site over the last few years.
 henwardian 08 Feb 2012
In reply to matt_lethargic:
> I thought this was a great film and not too long or too much non-climbing. What I don't understand is why so many people are bitching about it. IF you don't 'understand' or 'don't get' what the film was trying to portray then thats an issue for you the film watcher and not the film maker.

Well... Not really. If you send your film round your mates, you should expect to get some nice compliments. If you submit your film to UKC where it will be reviewed by thousands of people who have never met you and inevitably compared to other films on the site then it isn't really realistic to expect everyone to compliment you just because you took the time to make the film, is it? If you stand on the parapet, don't complain when people shoot arrows at you! :P

Also, if most of the audience "don't get" or "understand" the film, then it has failed to hit its mark with the target audience. It is a climbing film, about climbing, created for other climbers, UKC is chock full of climbers (although some might argue that "climbers" would be the wrong word!) and if it doesn't hit the target with most of them then I think that makes it fairly clear that the issue lies with the maker, not the audience.
 The Norris 09 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I really enjoyed the film, perfect to watch over a cuppa in the morning. I initially was expecting it to get going a bit quicker, as that's what tends to happen in most other vids i've seen.

But once i got into the flow, i thought it was a very well thought out and presented video. I particularly enjoyed the music (but i listen to that kind of thing anyway, so no surprises there).

As far as i could tell, the bit where the route flashed up in the middle was to introduce the climbing element of the film, rather than the intro... a kind of 'right, here we go then...'. I didnt really notice the black screen bits, i guess it didnt bother me!

All in all, awe inspiring climbing presented in a different, but excellent way. Thanks to those involved!
 Birdo 09 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I enjoyed it. Good work on trying something different with the production off this. the restrained use of music (and choice of music when used), with the use of audio throughout was a particular highlight. I would say that the viewing pleasure of this would be much greater at a film festival for example, than being viewed on the web where I really struggle with video's past 8 minutes so I can understand the editing comments.

Still like I said, really good effort for trying something different from the style of the usual production companies for climbing video's, there should be more like this.
Dom Bush 09 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: Really enjoyed the film. I like things that are a little more obscure and thought provoking and the music was really great. Some people like a little art in their films, and as an inspired artistic piece of film I thought it was very well done. Its good to see something that doesn't conform!!!! I agree that it could be a little shorter, but that would be my only criticism.
 Speed Reed 09 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: Shame about the negative comments.In my opinion overall the video was great.It makes a refreshing change to see a film about climbing that doesn't just scream at you.I personally think that the film captured more about the feeling of climbing than many that has gone before it,an aspect which is sadly overlooked.Well done to Neil and Liam for producing something original and highly watchable,especially on a Mac!
 steveb2006 10 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: i would like to add another positive comment (as it seems to have some undeserved negative ones)- imaginatively filmed and a stunning climb with a subtle soundtrack. Well done
free_hat 11 Feb 2012
i like it, its good to have a bit of an arty spin. Well done Neil and team, and thanks for the effort of making something (for free) that we can enjoy (for free)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...